I'm going to make transparent top for Lotus Elise/Exige - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ham View Post
Possible to make them Gull Wing?
It seems like it would be difficult to do with all the moving parts and such -- however it would be nice if it was in 2 pieces instead of one - I guess more like t-tops with a removable bar down the middle -- that way when you took it off, you could put it behind the seats it would be a matter of designing the removable middle bar and how the polycarbonate would mount to it in such a way that everything snaps in and out with ease, and also seals nice with no leaks or wind noise.
At the same time part of the reason I like the transparent top is because there is no bar down the middle - it feels more open when it's on. If the center bar was made of a polycarbonate transparent rod that was removable ..ehhh now that would be perfect - but the cost would go up. I suppose I could try to make both versions. In theory if the center piece started as a polycarbonate transparent rod, I could make a hinging system on it to make it gullwing at the same time. The beauty of it would be if it all snapped out and fit behind the seats, you no longer need a soft top...so with this you don't have to own another hard top or a soft top - just need this one - which I suppose for a few people could justify the extra costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
I have one of the Visium tops - they're great. I would recommend one over a factory top to anyone that asks my opinion ( I have both).

The Visium top is much easier to put on and take off - the mounting hardware is much less fiddly than the factory top.

I have a black Elise so, the tinted Visium top looks really good on it. I think this would be a different case if your Elise is Fly Yellow.

It does make the car feel less claustrophobic. It doesn't make the car noticeably hotter (but then, I don't install it in June...I use it in January.) If it's over 45, the top is off. If it's raining, I don't drive the car.

As for @TechnoHippie 's failure of his - I have no idea what happened. I know that he and I aren't the only people that own these, and he's the only person I've heard about that's had that sort of a problem. I've used mine for several years, on two different cars (I originally bought it for my Tesla Roadster, and kept it when I got the Elise). It's been faultless.

I do agree with some that the price is a bit high. I haven't looked into them in a while but, when I bought mine, they had a "Standard" version and a "Deluxe" version - I got the Deluxe version...which came with a cleaning kit and a soft cover. The soft cover is OK but, these "additions" really weren't worth the additional price. I felt like I got a little ripped off with the "Deluxe" version.

The other really nice feature of the transparent top is that, when you're first at a stop light, you can look up, through the top and see the signal light. As these cars are so low, we all know that you're always looking UP at everything (including slammed Civics). With the factory (opaque) hardtop, you're just blind to a lot around you. With the transparent top, it opens everything up.

With all of that being said, I applaud @TechnoHippie and his efforts - I'm curious to see what he comes up with; especially his alternative mounting solution. However, given that I already own two hard tops (and don't use either of them that often), I probably won't be a customer.
I haven't heard of anyone else having the problem I did with it either...plus I bought mine used from a guy who had used it for quite a while too. In my case, it was the little plastic piece that is part of the car which part # 18 in this picture connects to
https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=60
.so what broke wasn't part of the top -- it was part of the Lotus. I had my car out at BOE after all this happened and showed them the piece that had broke - I was disappointed that this piece was made of plastic and not metal. If that tiny piece was metal then it wouldn't of broke like it did. The guys at BOE said that they'd never seen one break like that before - so I chalk it up to simply bad luck on my part. IF I was to get another visium top, I would make those little plastic Lotus parts out of metal. And I agree it is a lot easier to put in than the factory hardtop - that is for sure. But there are still a few things that could be improved on -- no need for any bolt turning or loose parts to attach it -- and using the pins vs the metal clamps to attach it so you're not depending on that little piece of plastic not breaking either. That being said -- if I was you I wouldn't replace it with a different one, I'd just keep it and put eyes on that little plastic piece every now and then to make sure it hasn't developed any cracks.

Can you do me a HUGE favor and measure how thick your top is?
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoHippie View Post
The thickness of the acrylic? Yeah, I can measure it tonight when I get home.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
1/8" aka 0.125"

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM

What a weird thing to break

https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=58

14 an 15 in this pic, I think

Maybe needs that center clamp more than we think
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
What a weird thing to break

https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=58

14 an 15 in this pic, I think

Maybe needs that center clamp more than we think
Yes that is the part that broke -- and yes it's weird --I haven't heard of anyone else that has had the same problem. I at one point tried to order a center clamp assembly and put it on my 2005 but no one had one in stock at the time. I replaced the part that broke and haven't had any trouble with my hardtop. I think if that part broke with the factory hardtop it probably wouldn't result in the top flying off either - at least if it broke where mine did -- which was the bottom half of the part broke off.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Garage
Subscribed, best of luck to you if you make this happen! Dunno if I'll be able to afford one, but I had one on my 2000 Vette, and I really loved it. I'd love to have one of these.

2005 Elise - Saffron Yellow.
1997 Ducati 748 - Yellow.
2016 Ducati Scrambler - Yellow.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
1/8" aka 0.125"
Thank you. I was thinking mine would be 3/8" -- so quite a bit thicker.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Anyone selling their factory hard top, please PM me, a saffron yellow would be perfect else I can get it repainted. Preferably around NW area Seattle to Portland.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Wait, you are supposed to put a top on your car? Who knew?

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin G View Post
Anyone selling their factory hard top, please PM me, a saffron yellow would be perfect else I can get it repainted. Preferably around NW area Seattle to Portland.
I have the factory top in Saffron Yellow, it came from the UK on the car and was removed as soon as I got home, never been on since. How much are you offering?
TechnoHippie likes this.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin G View Post
I will sell mine when I've finished my first transparent one..2005 yellow. I've bought 2 of them that color from other members here...so you might find one before that.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
Wait, you are supposed to put a top on your car? Who knew?
I use mine as a daily driver....gotta have some sort of top for that. I use hardtop in winter..then soft top if I have to park it somewhere or its raining...otherwise no top. When its sunny and 100 degrees the top and a/c can be nice too.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I use mine as a daily driver....gotta have some sort of top for that. I use hardtop in winter..then soft top if I have to park it somewhere or its raining...otherwise no top. When its sunny and 100 degrees the top and a/c can be nice too.
Ya, the Elise is more of a "if the top needs to be on, I shouldn't be driving this car", type of car.

post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ya, the Elise is more of a "if the top needs to be on, I shouldn't be driving this car", type of car.
naaahhhh - only time I won't drive mine is in snow or ice. The car has inexpensive toyota running gear which is also reliable, it's made of fiberglass and aluminum so it's not going to rust, - its does have a trunk (bigger that a miata) - heat and a/c, even ABS and a decent stereo system -- plus it gets almost 30mpg. Perfect daily driver and I use it for long trips too.
darkSol likes this.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I use mine as a daily driver
That's cool. Not practical as a daily for me, but I did have a mid engine car as daily years ago, even as my winter snow car. It was a blast. Is that your only car or do u have a fun car too?

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's cool. Not practical as a daily for me, but I did have a mid engine car as daily years ago, even as my winter snow car. It was a blast. Is that your only car or do u have a fun car too?
My Lotus is my only car. I've had X1/9's and 1st gen MR2's I used in the snow as daily drivers...only did it 3 times in my Lotus as it was pretty much useless. I think it would be better with limited slip, but haven't done the upgrade. Doing that and taller 6th gear is on my list of future upgrades.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Also interested if this makes it all the way. Subscribed.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I will sell mine when I've finished my first transparent one..2005 yellow. I've bought 2 of them that color from other members here...so you might find one before that.
Yes please PM me for the price and your location. Thanks.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Im in no rush, how much will you sell it for? Please PM me your email so I can contact you directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in