I spent a day driving my 325 hp Elise and a Ferrari F430 back to back - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCRX View Post
Seems people are missing that part of the equation. Although Caterhams come with a set of doors and a fabric roof, they are like wearing a heavier jacket and a hoodie.

4C misses a key element of the Elige driving experience... a clutch pedal. The 4C is amazingly good though and feels like a spiritual successor of the Elige.

Not missing anything, I have both




.
Aedo and Kubera like this.

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
05 Elise SC
67 Lotus Elan (sold but not forgotten)

mopho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Rickster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Posts: 129
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white98ls View Post
Sure, the engine I'm positive is magnificent, the interior and exterior are excellent, and it's nice/comfy enough to take on a nice date.
The engine is excellent and I find the lines really nice on that car. I have to tell you that the interior doesn't live up to the rest of the package, though. It's better than an elige, obviously, but not really commensurate with a car of that caliber. The AC is adequate but not great. Ferrari for a couple of generations used rubber as a trim material around the HVAC vents and other places in the interior that for some reason turns sticky after a decade or so. So the vent rings and other places are now this nasty, sticky rubber that all dust and lint sticks to. It's awful.

Also, the geometry of the rear sightlines are fine, but for some reason looking through the rear vertical firewall glass and then the sloped fastback glass together creates an effect where it looks like you're always looking through the rear view mirror on dim mode. Very hard to distinguish any details behind you.

Those of course are nitpicks and otherwise the car is fantastic!

'05 Bordeaux Red/Biscuit Elise
FF 275 turbo kit (actually 325 hp!)
rear panel delete & custom mesh panel replacement
painted center console & AC surround
upgraded JL/Kenwood/JVC audio
duct & panel mods to enable AC to function
touring+starshield+hardtop
Rickster is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
The engine is excellent and I find the lines really nice on that car. I have to tell you that the interior doesn't live up to the rest of the package, though. It's better than an elige, obviously, but not really commensurate with a car of that caliber. The AC is adequate but not great. Ferrari for a couple of generations used rubber as a trim material around the HVAC vents and other places in the interior that for some reason turns sticky after a decade or so. So the vent rings and other places are now this nasty, sticky rubber that all dust and lint sticks to. It's awful.

Also, the geometry of the rear sightlines are fine, but for some reason looking through the rear vertical firewall glass and then the sloped fastback glass together creates an effect where it looks like you're always looking through the rear view mirror on dim mode. Very hard to distinguish any details behind you.

Those of course are nitpicks and otherwise the car is fantastic!
I wish they hadn't gotten so much bigger with the 360. I understand why they did. These cars have become extremely serious in performance and a larger chassis helps maintain stability. It also helps to have a larger car when you're trying to charge alot of money for it. But when a 355 sits next to a 360 or 430 it's clearly evident.

I suspect that the sticky stuff is the same rubber paint used on the steering wheel hub of the Elise. It's also all over the 986/996 Porsches, late 2000s Infinitis and other cars. It absorbs oils and then gets nasty.
me73 is offline  
 
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydeacon View Post
Great write up but you can have AC and crazy power. My BOE RevX Exige is over 400WHP on pump gas and at least in Northern California the AC keeps up. It makes more HP at 4500RPM than the stock S240 does at 8500RPM. Its insanity. The brakes are way better than stock with the significant upgrades the boys at BOE did. As for the phone you have to buy the headset intended for use on aircraft carrier decks from Plantronics and your set besides if you dont you will go deaf. Now flat out it uses a gallon of fuel a minute. Fun times
How is living in CA with a fully built Exige like that? Any smog concerns?
JasonB is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boston
Posts: 700
The Lotus is hard to keep up with in the twisties.
I do some rallies with a couple hundred supercars, and we broke off into a group of about a dozen including some ferraris and a 570s and on the backroads I was up everyone's bumper, and the car still wanted more.

Sometimes traffic seems like it's moving so slow, due to the lightweight you deff get the sensation that the laws of physics are at work allowing you to do things normal sized cars cant.
Really would like to drive a 1000lb bike engine lotus 7 to see how much more extreme the sensation is when even compared to the Elise.
Ls1Rx7 is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Registered User
 
mavila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 976
Having owned 2 Exiges, including one that was basically a track car as close to a Cup car as you could get, I agree that the pure driving experience was excellent. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised at just how fast they are around a track for something that has well under 300 hp - even a horsepower track like Laguna Seca. However, the "no compromises" experience was just too - uncompromising for me. On a sunny, cool day with ideal temperatures it was great for a short fun drive. Anything other than that was rough. As people point out, the AC sucked. The radio sucked. The interior seemed rather cheap feeling and cheap looking (although the leather covered center console on the S240 and later cars helped). As a result, I barely drove the cars. If I could trailer the cars to the track, that would have helped. On track they were tons of fun. Driving the 90+ minutes to Infineon Raceway and Laguna Seca on the track wheels and tires was not as fun, especially when it was hot. I agree that it's hard to beat that kind of experience for such an affordable price. You just have to know what you want and what you are getting. I decided that I wanted a car that I would actually enjoy driving for the 2 hours I have to drive to and from the track, as well as on the track. Does it feel heavier and floaty? Yes, especially under heavy braking. You just can't beat how late you can brake in a car as light as a Lotus. It's a big adjustment. Overall, it's still faster around the track, and I can also take my wife and kid in it for a fun drive on a hot day in comfort. Do I miss my Exige? Every once in a while. But it's not for everyone.
mavila is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 PM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,318
In addition to this being an awesome video of an awesome car, at 8:15 Cammisa start describing why he's one of my favorite journalists.

me73 is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavila View Post
Having owned 2 Exiges, including one that was basically a track car as close to a Cup car as you could get, I agree that the pure driving experience was excellent. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised at just how fast they are around a track for something that has well under 300 hp - even a horsepower track like Laguna Seca. However, the "no compromises" experience was just too - uncompromising for me. On a sunny, cool day with ideal temperatures it was great for a short fun drive. Anything other than that was rough. As people point out, the AC sucked. The radio sucked. The interior seemed rather cheap feeling and cheap looking (although the leather covered center console on the S240 and later cars helped). As a result, I barely drove the cars. If I could trailer the cars to the track, that would have helped. On track they were tons of fun. Driving the 90+ minutes to Infineon Raceway and Laguna Seca on the track wheels and tires was not as fun, especially when it was hot. I agree that it's hard to beat that kind of experience for such an affordable price. You just have to know what you want and what you are getting. I decided that I wanted a car that I would actually enjoy driving for the 2 hours I have to drive to and from the track, as well as on the track. Does it feel heavier and floaty? Yes, especially under heavy braking. You just can't beat how late you can brake in a car as light as a Lotus. It's a big adjustment. Overall, it's still faster around the track, and I can also take my wife and kid in it for a fun drive on a hot day in comfort. Do I miss my Exige? Every once in a while. But it's not for everyone.
I had the opportunity to drive an Elise with the base suspension (mine's a sport pack) and found it pretty nice over the road. I wonder if you modified things too far for a street car.
me73 is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
mopho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
In addition to this being an awesome video of an awesome car, at 8:15 Cammisa start describing why he's one of my favorite journalists.
That Stratos

Jason owns an Elise SC. I've worked with him a bunch of times over the years, saw him a few weeks ago in fact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mavila View Post
Having owned 2 Exiges, including one that was basically a track car as close to a Cup car as you could get, I agree that the pure driving experience was excellent. In addition, I was pleasantly surprised at just how fast they are around a track for something that has well under 300 hp - even a horsepower track like Laguna Seca. However, the "no compromises" experience was just too - uncompromising for me. On a sunny, cool day with ideal temperatures it was great for a short fun drive. Anything other than that was rough. As people point out, the AC sucked. The radio sucked. The interior seemed rather cheap feeling and cheap looking (although the leather covered center console on the S240 and later cars helped). As a result, I barely drove the cars. If I could trailer the cars to the track, that would have helped. On track they were tons of fun. Driving the 90+ minutes to Infineon Raceway and Laguna Seca on the track wheels and tires was not as fun, especially when it was hot. I agree that it's hard to beat that kind of experience for such an affordable price. You just have to know what you want and what you are getting. I decided that I wanted a car that I would actually enjoy driving for the 2 hours I have to drive to and from the track, as well as on the track. Does it feel heavier and floaty? Yes, especially under heavy braking. You just can't beat how late you can brake in a car as light as a Lotus. It's a big adjustment. Overall, it's still faster around the track, and I can also take my wife and kid in it for a fun drive on a hot day in comfort. Do I miss my Exige? Every once in a while. But it's not for everyone.

I guess it's all relative, having owned a Caterham for 11 years, the Elise I recently got seems luxurious, I am even contemplating a road trip in it




.

________________
2004 Caterham 7 Superlight R -
05 Elise SC
67 Lotus Elan (sold but not forgotten)

mopho is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopho View Post
That Stratos
Jason owns an Elise SC. I've worked with him a bunch of times over the years, saw him a few weeks ago in fact.
It's clear he's an analog driver's car guy. He's also a fan of the (now older) V8 Vantage, which is another car I bought for it's communicative nature.
me73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
boostu
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome