If they can sell this why not the Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

If they can sell this why not the Elise?

Detroit Electric Reveals Lotus-Based SP:01 – First Model since 1939, Priced from $135,000 - Carscoops

I thought Lotus did not sale the Elise in the States because they couldn't get the bumpers federalized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 AM

Government regulations are superceded for crony capitalism.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 AM
3Xtothe0[]

Take the battery out and put a V6 in it........woohoo..

2006 GG Elise Touring/HT/Starshield/Janspeed Stage II Sport exhaust/MM/Multivex/Nitto Invo replacements for rears [which are pretty damn good]

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM

From the pictures, you cannot tell how well the front is re-enforced behind the fiberglass. Also, the government is more likely to give exemptions to new start ups who are using alternative energy power plants. Lotus's problem is they have burned through all the years of exemption they had. The purpose of an exemption is to give a company time to develop a car which meets the standard. If a company makes no move to meet the standard (after 5 years), they lose the exemption and cannot sell the car. (Bumpers, Air Bags and Head Lights as an example).

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM

It looks nice. The little details are better than the current elise IMHO.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM

also it sounds like it is exactly the same thing as a tesla roadster. I wonder how they got reasonable range out a car that weighs 500lbs less than the tesla.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM

The 5 speed transmission seems interesting.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Because they are only making 999 of them. It's not considered a "production" car.

Edit: The linked article claims 2500/year production, but other sources say total run of 999 to bypass the regulations. I don't know which is correct, but 2500/year seems VERY optimistic.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM

Garage
I echo aschen, how is this anything new? The Tesla Roadster is almost the same thing, the article mentions that the closest competitor was the Tesla S, but doesnt mention the roadster. I can only guess that because its not in production anymore, that is why it's not mentioned. It is still pretty crazy

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Lotus was importing a complete car that no longer met the import standards. DE is importing a rolling chassis- it's just an out sourced part. They are producing the drivetrain here and the bespoke carbon fiber body is not from Lotus according to the article. So they are producing the completed car in the States which could fall under different regulations than imported complete cars, especially in a limited production number- like the Hennessey Venom.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
$3(uR3 u$3r

Just more spare parts.

2008 Elise SC - Solar Yellow
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Stilling doing God's work

If Lotus was smart, they'd acquire DE and thus have an American subsidiary which would cut a lot of the red tape. Or, better yet, complete a "merger" with DE, Tesla, etc. and become an American company with the Brits shipping all the parts for Federal cars to the states for assembly.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Stilling doing God's work

"The Detroit Electric brand was revived in 2008 by Albert Lam, former Group CEO of the Lotus Engineering Group and Executive Director of Lotus Cars of England[3], with a vision to produce premium-quality pure electric vehicles “that seamlessly integrate refined aesthetics, innovative technology and superior handling and performance.”
Detroit Electric was relaunched to the world on 19 March 2013, with the signing of its new headquarters in the Fisher Building in Detroit, Michigan.
It has announced plans to unveil a limited-edition two-seat sports car on 3 April 2013 and premier it to the public on 20 April 2013 at the Shanghai Auto Show. Production of the sports car will begin in August 2013 at its assembly plant, also located in Michigan, which has capacity to product 2,500 sports cars annually.
Detroit Electric plans to produce a variety of high-performance all-electric vehicles in the coming years."
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDrive View Post
Because they are only making 999 of them. It's not considered a "production" car.

Edit: The linked article claims 2500/year production, but other sources say total run of 999 to bypass the regulations. I don't know which is correct, but 2500/year seems VERY optimistic.
I was under the impression that the # was 500 for passenger cars based on past articles I have read

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM

I suspect the reality is that they don't have any actual method for putting the car on sale yet. They're trying to generate buzz to raise a few hundred million to actually execute this plan, and they'll fill in the rest down the line. If they want to sell a complete car, not a kit build, they'd need to comply with the same headlight issues, airbag issues, etc which Lotus couldn't. Being an american company doesn't matter.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoSL View Post
I echo aschen, how is this anything new? The Tesla Roadster is almost the same thing, the article mentions that the closest competitor was the Tesla S, but doesnt mention the roadster. I can only guess that because its not in production anymore, that is why it's not mentioned. It is still pretty crazy
I actually saw an enclosed transport truck unloading 6-8 Roadsters today down the street from where I work today. Tesla has been storing new S' in a warehouse that has a for lease sign out front for the past couple months. Probably just waiting for buyers.

2008 Burnt Orange Exige
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Tesla and now Detroit Electric! Lotus seems to be the only company NOT selling the Elise in the US.

BTW - I thought it all had to do with dual-stage air bags, which these other companies are obviously doing.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM
08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTUS AIR View Post
Tesla and now Detroit Electric! Lotus seems to be the only company NOT selling the Elise in the US.

BTW - I thought it all had to do with dual-stage air bags, which these other companies are obviously doing.
That's my understanding. There were other exceptions, but the government basically held the line on smart airbags as they are a safety item. Bumpers, on the other hand, aren't really a safety item...mostly a concession to the Insurance companies.

I'm interested to know how Detroit Electric is getting around this as the government held the line on the smart airbags for the electric Tesla roadster as well. My hope is that Detroit Electric actually paid money for Lotus to develop a smart airbag system for the Elise chassis, which Lotus can later use in their own products (Hello V6 Exige!)....in much the same way that the GM/VX220 funds helped the Fed Spec Elise development....at least that's what I heard happened.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Relapsing Honda fan

I'm so sick of seeing the same freaking door on 142 "different" cars. Would someone PLEASE make a new door skin that alters or eliminates the preliminary side vent already.

Just moved to Phoenix, anyone else here?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow99s View Post
I'm so sick of seeing the same freaking door on 142 "different" cars. Would someone PLEASE make a new door skin that alters or eliminates the preliminary side vent already.
Funny thing is that Lotus has admitted that door design is one of their weak points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in