Im starting to wonder what we're going to get?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Im starting to wonder what we're going to get??

At first I wasnt concerned with what car would be coming to the US shores because I thought it would be virtually the same car as the current S2 except with a different motor.

Now Im reading about the toyota motor which I think is pretty much a given now, but then additional comments on a V6 model being offered? Someone else says a more "modular" chassis ( which makes sense if they're going to streamline their production) changes to all sorts of aspects, a much heavier car.

I hate to say it but Im starting to get a little concerned. I dont want some heavy piggish car that doesnt look or feel much like the ones Ive seen and driven. Gosh I hope the S3 looks and acts like the S2!

Up till now I've been a little judgemental of people complaining all the time about the car, and speculating wildly on what it will be, but I hate to say it, Im starting to fall into that category. Im getting frustrated.

I like Clyde and he says its going to be a great car so I believe him..... i'll just wait it out like the rest of us, but the more I read the more agitated I get waiting for the "real" story.

Who knows, maybe we'll all be pleasantly suprised. I hope.

But if the car looks a lot different, or is compromised handling mass produced"ish" car I'll be saddened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:27 AM

My sentiments exactly!
I truely hope they don't screw it up.
ALL it needs is a federalized engine. Please Lotus leave everything else alone, we love the car the way it is.

2006 Exige Chrome Orange
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
agreed!

PS, adamant, I dont know if you autocross....but I just sold my Pettit TKT RX7 to a guy from SLC. He's going to autocross it. Its black on black 3rd gen with rollcage. You cant miss it.

Dont know how big the region is there...but maybe you'll see it around if you race.
It will most likely be in ASP but its legal in SM2.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:04 AM

The essences of the car I think will remain it tact. My guess is the modular chassis will make it over (heard its 2" longer). Styling & weight most likely be very close to the S2 (add~150lbs). The bigger chassis would give them the flexibility to maybe drop in a v-6 later down the road. My guess, Lotus will start us off with a car very close to the Euro version. Then grow the line with a v-6 maybe with a raised roof line and full fledge hardtop, more of a touring version of the Elise or a whole new model.

In any case we should know the details of our the S3 Elise many months before putting in the order... so if it's not what we want, no problem backing out & nothing really lost. Can't think of anything that really compares, so willing to wait it out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh I agree. My problem is not that Im worried about getting my money back, my problem is that I LOVE the car and would incredibly upset if the car got mucked up to the point I didnt want it anymore.

Ive been pondering if, since Im buying a car in the first year, that they'll come out with some super duper V6 Big Power model the second year. However in this case I *think* perhaps getting a first year car may be the best bet because I think it will be the closest to the minimalist Lotus we all love. Any thoughts on this?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:10 AM
insert clever title here

I wouldn't worry. Lotus knows what it is we're all excited about being able to purchase - namely, the Elise in its current or similar form. They'll realize that if they make dramatic changes, they'll loose the majority of deposits and change their target audience. At the same time, it's tough being successful as a one-car automaker. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they initially offered us *two* versions of the Elise. I'd expect a four cylinder car along the lines of the current model, and for the second, a stretched wheelbase, V6 powered, fixed roof (like the Exige) with more creature comforts (like design details to facilitate ingress/egress). This dual-model approach would help explain the seemingly conflicting rumors we hear.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:24 AM

I'd agree with Matt. Pretty sure Lotus will do it right & start us of with a minimalist version of the Elise. There being a bit of a rush, the modular chassis might not make over at first... which long term for us might not be a good thing. We're all in the same boat, going first year we may miss out on some added goodies in the pipeline. It's something I've done 4 of 5 cars I've picked up new. There were all so worthwhile out of the box, even in looking back have no regrets doing so.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:32 AM

Of course we're all just speculating but I too think that Matt G's comments are one of the most likely scenarios. Two platforms would seem to make sense for Lotus - one for most of us - hardcore minimalist types - and one with room to "grow" and aimed more at the general sportscar-market, something that could truly compete with the Boxsters etc. and replace the Esprit as well.

This would probably be the best outcome all the way around, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed !

Covered in Brandy and Lard
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes Im thrilled with the car, absolutely. I cant wait to get my hands on it. I dont mind missing out on a few features, heck I have all M1 miatas and I dont want or like some of the features on the newer cars. I prefer the M1's. Im a minimalist.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:40 AM

HI All,
I don't think their's ANY chance of the car coming radically different from the S2 series. The costs of changing the chassis not to mention having to make new molds for the body parts, no way that's going to happen. Additionally, I see a six cylinder and chassis redesign a couple years down the road. I think the car will be essentially what the 04 UK cars look like now with the yota 4 cyl engine. I think the weight will be 1850-1900 pounds.

Don't worry guys, I've got full faith in Arnie J. at LCU!!!!

Chris
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:42 PM

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I went to the LA Auto Show last January to decide whether my next car would be a Honda S2000 or BMW Z4. When I saw the Elise, I was blown away and amazed that the price was comparable. Even though it might not mean that much, one of the selling points that is seductive is the purported 0-60 of 4.5 seconds; if the car gets too heavy, that time will rise and their advertising edge will drop. A car nut friend of mine read that Lotus has a new marketing strategy; they want to sell more models in the US, not necessarily tons of Elises, so this car is a way of attracting attention to the brand, and you would think that they would want to get it right. Also, the initial group of owners are going to provide fantastic word of mouth advertising if we are happy with the car, so they probably want us to be satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in