Killing the Road Noise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Killing the Road Noise

Ok guys, I recently applied second skin damplifier to my doors, firewall and floors. I had limited success. The product works, but the noise just comes in all throughout the car. The exhaust drone is a whole other battle since I have a Stage 2 muffler... But the road noise. Has anyone tried hitting the front wheel wells with something to help quiet it down a bit? I know when I drive through a puddle, it sounds like someone is dripping water directly on my head, likewise the sound of sand is as if someone is throwing it directly at you... My assumption is because there is no front firewall, that noise passes directly through to the passenger compartment. Whereas in a traditional front-engine car, there is a firewall, usually insulated to some degree, that blocks much of the road noise of the tires on the road surface, puddles, sand, etc...

What are your thoughts here? The wind and tire noise is ridiculous. Has anyone tried hitting the hard top with some dynamat type product? I need a new headliner so my hardtop is currently prepped for new fabric (adhesive free, bare paint), it wouldn't cost anything to use my extra sheets of second skin on the hardtop, then adding the fabric over the top of it.

Comments appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 AM
Arch. Project Manager

The hardtop is quite a bit quieter than the soft top as is.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:06 AM

Ear plugs, they help.

No, but seriously. Ear plugs.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh I have ear plugs in my scuttle beam. 2 pairs, one for me and a fresh pair for my passenger if they want. However, I am trying to move away from this practice...
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Have you put a couple strips on your undertray yet? I found that helped a ton. Also I found that putting Ensolite from RAAMaudio to dampen the high frequency sounds made a huge difference. My Elise, even with the soft top on, was much quieter than the STI I used to have.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM

I recently did Montreal - Boston (and back) in my Elise.
No Stage 2 here, but a Larini, which probably doesn't drone as much but is still loud as f**k.

I ended-up using my Bose noise cancelling headset. It was perfect
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Elise Freak View Post
....What are your thoughts here?....
Er, don't drive an Elise? I absolutely love mine to bits....
Don't find the noise a problem... Sports exhaust & all.
Forgot to add, just done 1,000 miles in one week. Only just had the car (my first sports car) and
was pleasantly surprised to find how comfortable it is. At least, it doesn't give me a backache like both my Rover & Honda do.
Great in crosswinds & low on driver fatigue.

Last edited by macey; 09-25-2014 at 11:24 AM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Hard top.

Different car.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferpkt View Post
The hardtop is quite a bit quieter than the soft top as is.
Until you hit bumps and it squeaks. I find that pretty-annoying, and silicone grease on the weatherstripping didn't seem to help.

No matter. I find the Elise not so loud generally.

The wind noise on the Stag is way more, top up or down. The Bell stainless exhaust does lovely things for the V8, so who cares?

I never use the Blaupunkt stereo in either British car.

If all I want is quiet, the Legacy GT Limited supplies that (now that the howling rear wheel bearings have been replaced!). I have a stainless exhaust system here in my office that might change that a bit.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouch View Post
I recently did Montreal - Boston (and back) in my Elise.
No Stage 2 here, but a Larini, which probably doesn't drone as much but is still loud as f**k.

I ended-up using my Bose noise cancelling headset. It was perfect
Illegal in Minnesota. You can cover one ear, not both.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Illegal in Minnesota. You can cover one ear, not both.
This. Recent trip from VA to NC had me wondering what the rules are in different jurisdictions. I too love to drive with the Bose NC headset, but I know it's not legal in many places. Which is stupid, because I'm able to hear "exceptional" noises more easily with them on -it's just the road/wind/engine noise that gets cancelled.

Here is a resource showing the legality of headsets by state.

-Chris
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Forgot to add, just done 1,000 miles in one week. Only just had the car (my first sports car) and was pleasantly surprised to find how comfortable it is. At least, it doesn't give me a backache like both my Rover & Honda do.
Great in crosswinds & low on driver fatigue. (Has the touring pack, don't know if that's a factor or not).
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It must just be my muffler then... Because my car is so loud. 100dB with the windows up and hard top on. I don't know if it was always this bad but my hearing is getting worse (it shouldn't I'm not even 30!) or if my muffler really got blown out at the track days...

I use my ear buds regularly now. They really help. Otherwise I love spending time in my car, no fatigue other than the noise. I need to do NY to Maine and back this weekend and I'm contemplating taking my old Saab just for the sake of my ears.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
I really believe the vast majority of the noise comes into the cabin from the engine bay, this includes exhaust noise unless you are going supersonic speeds. For practical purposes, the muffler and exhaust outlet are in your engine bay since there is almost no sound break between them and the firewall.

I did not realize until recently just how flimsy the firewall is. Seriously, think of it more like a speaker cone with a little felt padding on it (maybe even just close to it). A large portion of the engine and exhaust noise is transmitted right into the cabin through it.

This is why I plan to do Darksol's firewall insulation mod next time I feel like taking off the clam, airbox and supercharger.... maybe this winter. I already have the stuff.

Read about it here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/...g-bling-88410/

Note Turbophil's comment in the thread. He has been inside a few Eliges.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 PM

I put a piece of dynamat on the floorpan under each seat. It didn't add much weight. Maybe 2 lbs. each piece is about 1 foot square. No need to cover the entire floor. The small squares of dynamat keep the floorpan from acting like a drum. Before adding this i could not listen to my stereo, or talk on my phone using a headset above 40 mph. Now it is not a problem. I'm switching tires soon from a048's to high performance all season. I suspect that quite a bit of road noise is from the tires.

2005 Elise saffron yellow. LSS, gpan, rtd brace. v2 steering arms, reverie CF diffuser, S111 harness bar, schroth harnesses, Larini S clubsport muffler
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ60 View Post
I'm switching tires soon from a048's to high performance all season. I suspect that quite a bit of road noise is from the tires.
Indeed. A048's with less than 500 miles on them are not too noisy but as they get older and have less tread OMG they are loud!

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com) 388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
2018 Midnight Silver Tesla Model 3 Performance
2016 Machine Gray Metallic Mazda CX-9
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 PM

Road noise? That's called driving. Windows down with R888's and I've never had a complaint. Maybe I'm just weird.

05 Chrome Orange Elise
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Nein Kinder

Sound Reduction

Just to echo what others have said (no pun intended), the floor pan and the firewall are the places that will probably benefit the most from sound deadening materials.

My 2011 Elise has a relatively small rectangle of Dynamat-like material under both seats, about the same size as the seat base. The interior of the firewall is covered in the same sound deadening material and then there is a molded piece of black foam rubber that fills the space between the firewall and the molded plastic tray/firewall cover behind the seats. The foam rubber pokes all the way into the side panels just behind the exterior door handle - makes sense since that area would otherwise be a great resonator and conduit for engine bay noise. I think the key here is that it is dense foam rubber, not the lightweight, low density yellow polyurethane foam such as is commonly used to stuff furniture. These items are all factory installed.

I often drive the Elise seven or eight hours at a time, and while the car is a little noisier than some others, I've never noticed any noise fatigue except with the (soft or hard) roof off.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM

I recently did a big stereo upgrade to my 09 Elise. While I had the seats out and the back panel off, I put in Dynamat Superlite along the firewall and floor. It has made a pretty big difference for listening to the stereo, talking on the phone, noise fatigue, etc. here are some pics of the install, not hard to do when the seats were out.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1411684552.147562.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  568.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1411684585.783869.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  681.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1411684620.362547.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  507.3 KB

BTW, the Dynamat Superlite is slightly thinner and lighter weight than the original. With the amount in this install, it adds less than 5 pounds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM
glb

What am I seeing in middle photo?

Thx

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in