link to autocar article and pic!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

link to autocar article and pic!!

HI All,
Here's a link to the latest AUTOCAR article. Included is a pic of the twin exhaust exiting out the bottom of the diffuser!! As discussed earlier!!

YOu have to register on the site to get in, but SELOC is a good Elise bbs (1800+ subscribers)

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=4347

Chris Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Thanks. Here is the text-

Elise turns to Toyota
Engine exchange. Lotus dumps K-series in favour of Celica T-Sport unit.

Front end will require a redesign to meet US crash regs

VX220 Turbo rear wheels to fit five stud Celeica driveshaft.

189bhp Toyota engine replaces ageing 120bhp K-series.

Twin central exhausts exit below rear diffuser line.

S2 mule was snapped testing at Hethel earlier this month; the new-engined car could arrive in Europe in 2005.

The Lotus Elise is ditching it's K-series engine after eight years, in favour of Japanese power. This S2 mule spied lapping the Hethel test track confirms the change, which has been propmted by the Norfolk maker's ambitions to return to the USA. The MG Rover K-series will not meet stringent emissions requirements there.

Instead, Lotus is set to the Toyota Celica VVY-i T-Sport's VVT-i 189bhp 1.8, mated to a six-speed manual transmission. The extra power could signal a 0-60mph dash in under 5.0 seconds and top speed well in excess of the current car's 124mph.

American dealers are already taking deposits for April '04 delivery. "We are confident that the Elise will enjoy the same success in the USA market as in other markets," says Lotus Cars USA chief executive Arnie Johnson.

Toyota-powered cars are unlikely to arrive in Europe until the '05 model year, when the Elise willl split into two versions - US and Euro - to avoid alienating the purist buyers with the toys necessary for the US market. The Federal car will retain bonded chassis construction, but will need restyling to fit new crash structures, and side impact protection to meet US regulations.

Lotus as laid the foundations for the Federal Elise with the European '04 model year car, launched this month. It consists of both Elise and 111, with an optional X paclk for Elise which which offers central locking, electric windows, sound insulation, CD, leather and carpets - adding an extra 100kg. The car remains visually and mechanically unchanged.

(side box)

LOTUS MODELS ON THE WAY

Arnie Johnson, chief exec of Lotus cars USA, also hints are further Lotis cars in the pipeline.
"Over the next few years, we anticipate further expnasion and growth with new models to follow for the US." he says. Insiders have refused to rule out a return for the Exige in S2 form; and rumours continue of a Boxster rival in the vein of the stillborn M250 concept with mid-mounted V6 power and a circa-40k pound price tag. A replacement for the Esprit is still in the sketch stage, which means the Lotus V8 is unlikely to return before late 2006.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Cropped and adjusted brightness and contrast. Hard to get more detail on the twin pipe exhausts.
Attached Images

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:49 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
I am not into huge tips.. but those two little things seem a bit small.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 07:57 AM

Gotta wonder about that 100kg, seems awfully high. On the tail pipes, being a test mule, pretty sure we'd get a bigger "dresssed" up version for production. Hope they make the motor offical next month.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

HI All,
Notice the rear wheels are different from the front, definately a test mule!
Chris
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 01:06 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryB
Gotta wonder about that 100kg, seems awfully high.
Maybe not...it's 220lbs.

Airbag - 10
Locks & pwr windows - 5
A/C - 50
Bumpers, front & rear - 60

That's 125 lbs right there. How much does ABS add, 10 lbs? I believe the stereo is currently an option, so if it's standard, how about 5 lbs for that. Sound deadening...15 lbs sound reasonable? Ok, that puts us at 155 lbs. Now, what if the hardtop is standard equipment? The S1 hardtop weighs 66 lbs (30kg), to put us at the 220 lb mark that the *rumors* state.

Of course, these gross assumptions may be wrong, but this shows how quickly things add up, and that the 100kg rumor may have a bit of truth behind it.

Lastly, this assumes the same drivetrain weight, which is very unlikely.

Oh, and don't forget to throw in the weight of any extra side impact protection needed as well.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 01:53 PM

Matt, I'd agree that the Fed version might add a extra 200lbs. The article appears to say it's the new Euro S2.5 that added 100kgs... not likely but if ture would make for a much heavier Fed version.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

HI,
WHere does everyone keep getting the idea, this car's going have to have bumpers????

I'll bet $$$ you won't find bumpers on this car. I suspect Lotus will get wavered being a limited production car.

My guess is the US car will come in at 1900 lbs. Not as light as the other Elises, but I can live with that. LCU had said to make the car legal for US would add 100-150 pounds to the weight of the S2.

Chris
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
I can also live with 1900 pounds (though less is more!) and 190hp and drop dead styling.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:27 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryB
Matt, I'd agree that the Fed version might add a extra 200lbs. The article appears to say it's the new Euro S2.5 that added 100kgs... not likely but if ture would make for a much heavier Fed version.
Good point, I wasn't thinking for a minute there and made too many assumptions for that S2.5. :-)

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:34 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally posted by zvezdah1
HI,
WHere does everyone keep getting the idea, this car's going have to have bumpers????

I'll bet $$$ you won't find bumpers on this car. I suspect Lotus will get wavered being a limited production car.
Well it *is* the law, you know! I realize that the leading rumor is that the Elise will get, or has gotten, a waiver due to 'financial hardships' and the fact that this is a limited edition. Still, I'm not convinced. Look at cars such as the Ameritech McLaren F1 (ugly front bumpers tacked on) and the Countach (ugly front bumpers tacked on). If they couldn't get waivers, will Lotus? I really don't think there's great expense in adding the 2.5mph bumpers...you have your basic structure, plus some impact absorbing foam, and changes to the bodywork (flexible cover). Hmm, or maybe they'll just do what Lamborghini and Ameritech did, and install ugly front bumper-warts that can easily be removed by the owner?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

But Matt, even if the car had bumpers. Remember the US m100 vs. the UK m100. The appearance of the cars was only marginallly different (US car was 1" longer I think) and yet the US car met crash specs. I was only really able to tell the difference bumperwise when I compared mine to a euro spec. car

Chris

PS>Regardless, I have full faith that Arnie will bring a car in people will love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in