• 1 Post By Crazy05
  • 2 Post By Eric Rieger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
Cool Lotus Elise Destroyed

Hey All,

About two months ago, I started a thread about my 2006 Lotus Elise in Krypton Green. I purchased it in 2015 for $38k. At the time, it had 11k miles. Anyway, as I mentioned in the prior thread, over the winter, the car was infested with mice. The damage they did was severe. My insurance company, Progressive, covered the claim and it has spent the last two months being worked on by Cleveland's only Lotus dealership.

Well, the Lotus dealership ultimately decided that they could not work any further on the car. The infestation was so bad that they could not guarantee the work (the smell of urine and feces was something that just couldn't be remedied). They had put about 20 hours into disassembling the car for diagnostics and every layer they removed led to the discovery of further damage. Thereafter, Progressive consulted with 7 other body shops, as well as ServPro and a hazmat company, all of whom declined to work on the car.

Thus, after two months, Progressive finally declared the car a total loss. And although I was sad to hear it, their appraisal resulted in a final payout of $41,791.10. I wanted to share that number with all of you because I know Lotus owners are obsessive about their cars' values. In speaking with the appraiser, here were a couple of the factors that contributed to the appreciation in the value of the car:

1. The car was completely stock. This was important because collectors do not value after market modifications.

2. The car was in great condition and otherwise properly maintained, with only 15k miles on it.

3. The color. According to the appraiser, Krypton Green fetches a higher value than most others, as do Autumn Gold and Aubergine.

Anyway, this is probably going to be my last post on this site. Thank you to this community. It has provided me with an incredible wealth of knowledge, as well as quite a few interesting conversations and even some personal connections. I've decided to take my insurance money, along with my old 2001 Porsche Boxster S as a trade in, and invest in a Ferrari 360.

Cheers!
Kubera, Mobius97, ksm and 4 others like this.

2006 Lotus Elise (Krypton Green)
2001 Porsche Boxster S (Black)
2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE (Metallic Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss, especially a Krypton! Hope you find a nice 360, good luck!

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:45 AM
JoeNameplate

Sorry for your loss. I was looking forward to meeting another local Elise owner. Thanks for the insurance info post.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:50 AM

Ahh man. So unfortunate. I remember reading your post on it. Great looking color too. Bright side, enjoy the Ferrari. Take care!

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Sad to hear but glad it worked out in your favor. Good luck on getting that Ferrari! That's awesome and I'm a little jelly.

Make sure to keep the dang mice away from it!!!
Crazy05 likes this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Sad to hear but glad it worked out in your favor. Good luck on getting that Ferrari! That's awesome and I'm a little jelly.

Make sure to keep the dang mice away from it!!!
Install at least a 1,000 mouse traps and poison pellets around the 360
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:11 AM

Eric, sorry hear about your Elise. Moving forward with your 360 purchase, simply spread around a bunch of fabric softener sheets in your garage, a few in the engine bay for good measure. I swear I have tried everything else, this really works! Be sure to change them monthly. Cats and other critters that prey on mice won't get poisoned this way. All the best, Rusty
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I guess it will go to auction and could make a cool project for someone. Strip it down to bare tub, rewire it...maybe a good candidate for an engine swap.

Be really careful and don't let the mice get to your future Ferrari! My dad had a 360 probably 15-20 years ago that the same thing happened to. They chewed up the harness in the engine bay, coil wires were all F'd, interior radio buttons had little bite marks. It was fixed and very costly. Get an ultrasonic mouse repellent. It plugs in and makes noise that you cannot hear, but mice and rodents can. Never had issues in 20 years after that was plugged in.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
Sure is a sad tale, but thanks for sharing the experience.

We want a pic of your red car!

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Garage
So sad to hear about losing a Lotus in this manner, especially a Krypton Green one.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 PM

I love Progressive insurance.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
Brief update, after checking out the Ferraris, I decided to go a different route. Yellow Lamborghini Gallardo instead. Beautiful.
Poorichard and Crazy05 like this.

2006 Lotus Elise (Krypton Green)
2001 Porsche Boxster S (Black)
2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE (Metallic Black)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:08 AM

I hate mice

They made a huge mess of my +2 years ago

I am surprise no one would attempt to fix it, considering how little is inside an Elise, compared to a regular car.

my attempts at keeping them out:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...-smell-398449/
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rieger View Post
Brief update, after checking out the Ferraris, I decided to go a different route. Yellow Lamborghini Gallardo instead. Beautiful.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with the 360, F430, Gallardo market. If I could I would probably pick up a F430 because the prices are basically rock bottom right now. CNC motors has a F430 for $70k!
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...mp2&CMP=stemp2 Gallardo's are just works of art, I want to see pics if you decide to pick it up

*Also another cool route would be Noble! (Kinda stick with the Lotus Vibe, British!)
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...r/2194594.html

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT

Last edited by Crazy05; 08-01-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Food for thought regarding getting an older Ferrari:

"The 430 is a lot less up keep then previous Ferrari models, only serious thing I know of on those is keeping an eye on clutch life for the F1 transmission, a few Ferrari techs have told me one way to stay ahead of that is to keep an eye on its engagement, and also try not to back up if possible especially up hill for any distance, for some reason this seems to put more wear on them??? 430 uses a timing chain instead of belts and isn't known to have sticky buttons, etc. Now the 360 can be a bit more, but far easier then the 355 (which is one of my favorite designs) the 360 needs its timing belt changed every 3 years, but this doesn't require an engine out to do, the 360 can be done through and access panel behind the seats, I did one in 4 hours which included pulling the seat, then all you need is a good set of timing gear/ cam holders, there is a guy who has an excellent blog on these cars but his name is eluding me, been a few years. 360's also had sticky button issues, which is a lot more costly to fix then you might think, not a bank breaker, but above what I think it should be. "

"I owned a 2007 F430 for two years. Unless you live near a Ferrari dealer or have several inde shops to choose from, I would buy something else. They are good cars but when they break, they're expensive. Even if you can do the work (which I did a lot of on my own) the parts are crazy expensive. A water pump assy set me back $4K just in parts. The power window switches are over $200 each. As for the 360, they are still belt driven so you will have to replace the timing belt at 15K mile or 3 year intervals. Unlike the F355, the belt can be replaced with the engine still in the car. The other issue with Ferrari is the sticky crap they put on all of the switches. The stuff turns to goo in the hot sun."

Quoted is not from me, they're from 2 separate posters on another car forum.
Interesting that the sticky buttons issue also affected F, some MB AMG, and Lambo too (friend has a Gallardo and AMG C63). And what's the deal with not backing up? Lol.
I've had mostly domestic sports cars, none had the sticky buttons.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Garage
Looks like it has made its way to IAAI https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=...oadRecent=True already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in