post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lotus shows 2020 Elise!

Name:  3A78F19F-91DC-464D-9026-FCF7ADE088E5.jpg
Views: 2971
Size:  69.7 KB

Or not.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/tes...-roadster.html

The first Tesla Roadster, or Tesla car of any sort, was an Elise they found a way to electrify.

Meanwhile Lotus have floundered around and let their best ever money maker, and track rat enabler, turn into rumors and sighs.

I put this up to show what a future Elise might look like. Power source? I don’t mind electric, but would sure miss trying to find that elusive perfect manual gearshift.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

Last edited by XHILR8N!; 11-19-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Hope not
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Attachment 1148809

Or not.

Tesla Shocks Us With New 2020 Roadster, Does 0-60 In 1.9 Sec!

The first Tesla Roadster, or Tesla car of any sort, was an Elise they found a way to electrify.

Meanwhile Lotus have floundered around and let their best ever money maker, and track rat enabler, turn into rumors and sighs.

I put this up to show what a future Elise might look like. Power source? I don’t mind electric, but would sure miss trying to find that elusive perfect manual gearshift.

When I saw the pics of it I was not impressed. It's a bit generic and doesn't look all that special. However, when I say the pic above my initial reaction was it actually looks a little like the Dany/Coco Elise from that angle.

Sean K. likes this.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbeef View Post
When I saw the pics of it I was not impressed. It's a bit generic and doesn't look all that special. However, when I say the pic above my initial reaction was it actually looks a little like the Dany/Coco Elise from that angle.

I agree with your conjecture, the proportions match, and it would make sense to leverage off of a previous design.

After all, it was an electric Elise that jump-started Tesla.

I've always thought the Tesla model S was based on the Lotus Eterne prototype.
Attached Images

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exacty Aryton’s Father.

It looks like Tesla took the Elise style and ran with it. Futurized a lot like that Elise prototype from the “Lotus Lifestyle” days.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Garage
Well it won't "serve as the final nail in the coffin for ICE vehicles" with a $200K price tag. That's insane. Ludicrous even.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
I would be very happy if the 2020 Elise looked like the new Tesla.

May be Tesla can partner with Geely? I'll buy the 2000 lb Elise, and Tesla can make the 3,800 lb electric Roadster.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
'06 Chili Red Elise (sold)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
I would be very happy if the 2020 Elise looked like the new Tesla.

Maybe Tesla can partner with Geely? I'll buy the 2000 lb Elise, and Tesla can make the 3,800 lb electric Roadster.
It's too bad Elon didn't buy Lotus, we could have had future Lotus made in Fremont, CA or even more racy looking SpaceX products.
Attached Images

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parko View Post
Well it won't "serve as the final nail in the coffin for ICE vehicles" with a $200K price tag. That's insane. Ludicrous even.
I have to politely dissagree on the pricing comment. For the "stated" performance and range of the roadster, at that price point it is a bargain! If the claims are indeed true it is punching way above it's price and would make hypercars blush.

Keep in mind, I am strictly speaking from a very speculative performance aspect.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
I have to politely dissagree on the pricing comment. For the "stated" performance and range of the roadster, at that price point it is a bargain! If the claims are indeed true it is punching way above it's price and would make hypercars blush.

Keep in mind, I am strictly speaking from a very speculative performance aspect.
Agreed, compared with the posted Mclaren P1 specs, the new Tesla is a bargain at $250K.
Attached Images

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post

I see your point, but you have to take my point in context. A $200K car is a halo, not something that will impact the masses. If Tesla wants to put the nail in the coffin for ICE vehicles, they are going to have to deliver on the promises of the Model 3 or something like it. Even if they do get the Model 3 to a profitable place, the 220 mile range seems like it is a limitation. If they can do something like the Model 3 with a 400 mile range and still keep the price around $35k, *that* might be an ICE killer.

I still see your point. 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds is hard to imagine; even at a $1M price other marques haven't achieved that (yet). How do they get the tires to grip at that point?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

I see your point, but you have to take my point in context. A $200K car is a halo, not something that will impact the masses. If Tesla wants to put the nail in the coffin for ICE vehicles, they are going to have to deliver on the promises of the Model 3 or something like it. Even if they do get the Model 3 to a profitable place, the 220 mile range seems like it is a limitation. If they can do something like the Model 3 with a 400 mile range and still keep the price around $35k, *that* might be an ICE killer.

I still see your point. 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds is hard to imagine; even at a $1M price other marques haven't achieved that (yet). How do they get the tires to grip at that point?
Nope, I get that point you made completely and I agree with you there. They are already in production hell with investors and Wall Street keeping a keen eye on the broken production and delivery promises of the Model 3. Not to mention the fit, finish and quality control issues across all models. (Yeah right a guy who owns two Lotus talking about fit and finish....yes I see the irony ).

I don't see the new roadster or the 3 being nails in the coffin for ICE vehicles. I do believe it will eventually come one day and I say bring it....nothing wrong with progressing forward in my books but we have awhile to go yet. It is going to take more than Tesla to make that happen but I do like what they are bringing to the table.

I am very excited seeing car companies churn out these new electric performance vehicles.
Parko likes this.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Garage
Above I wondered when the tire traction would become the limiting factor of a 0-60 mph time. I came across this video:

That is surely tire dependent, and his math is based off a 2014 Corvette which I believe came with a Michelin Pilot Super Sport run flat. Spoiler: he estimates 2.0 seconds as the limit for that tire for 0 - 60 mph. The 2020 Tesla Roadster will require some quite sticky tires to achieve a 1.9 second time in the real world.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM
glb

Yep.

In the 40s, it was thought that a car couldn't do under 10 seconds in 1/4 mile.

At that time (yes, pun), they didn't expect tires to have a coefficient of friction greater than 1.0.

Thx for posting this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Above I wondered when the tire traction would become the limiting factor of a 0-60 mph time. I came across this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAvIVGGhEis

That is surely tire dependent, and his math is based off a 2014 Corvette which I believe came with a Michelin Pilot Super Sport run flat. Spoiler: he estimates 2.0 seconds as the limit for that tire for 0 - 60 mph. The 2020 Tesla Roadster will require some quite sticky tires to achieve a 1.9 second time in the real world.
Great find! I too wonder how the heck they can do it and how many times it's even achievable on said same tire. Could you even imagine feeling that kind of acceleration under your foot? I've been in some fast cars, the closest to these specs (from a 0-60 perspective) was riding shotgun in a fully prepped rally car a few years ago. It was driven by a former F1 driver turned rally instructor on a dirt and gravel course. I'm not joking....it was fun and scary as hell at the same time.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:50 AM

Garage
Funny the same guy has released a video about this topic, this car specifically, today:

As I guessed above, he mentions that the tire technology will dictate the time. Running the numbers with drag radials he came up with 1.52 seconds.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Well a top fuel dragster gets to 60 in about .2 seconds, so there is that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in