LSS wheels - Anodized? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

LSS wheels - Anodized?

Are the anodized finish LSS wheels any more desirable than the silver or black?
I assume they are less prevalent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 AM

The surface finish has to be much nicer if the wheel is going to be anodized, since the imperfections show much more than if they are covered with paint.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant to ask if the factory anodized finish on the LSS wheels is more desirable than the more common silver or black finishes...
I have only heard of one other set other than mine, and am considering selling them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM

The factory finish is e-coat, I believe. Definitely not anodized, at least for 2007 Track Pack wheels (which I believe are same as LSS wheels). Black. E-coat or powder coat.

Any cast (even if forged) wheel will have an uneven finish if anodized.

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
My 2005 LSS wheels have a different finish than most other (newer) wheels. I think that's what you're talking about. Mine have more of a slightly coated look verses the raw aluminum of others that I've seen side-by-side. I've been told mine are easier to keep clean, if that helps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 AM
JWA

There have been three variations of the finish on silver LSS wheels. At least there were through 2006 or so. Initially they were to be clear anodized. The very first '05s were delivered with this finish, but the supplier was having a terrible time keeping up with demand as they had a lot of QA rejects. They then went to a satin grey e-coat for the middle of the '05 run until LCU specified the finish that they now have, which is similar to the standard wheels but not exact. The original anodized wheels had much sharper edges on the spokes than the later two variations due to their thicker color coat.

I don't know when the exact changeovers occurred, but it was discussed a lot on here back then. My first car was roughly 300 or so in and it had the duller satin grey finish. I'm not clear on whether they made the changeover to the shinier coat at the '06 model year change or did it as a running change on the '05s.

As to your specific question, I don't think it affects the value one way or the other. Some people might have a preference for specific finishes, but I don't know if it would be enough to affect price. Personally the original anodized would be my preference if given the choice, but there's so few on the market that I doubt you'd be able to pull a premium for them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
FWIW, here's a giant photo of mine, although I was focused on my rotors when I took the shots last year.
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I must have the anodized version as the spokes are sharper edged and definitely not painted or powder coated. They are a pain to keep clean! Hard to tell from your pic, but my edges seem sharper and the color more like naked aluminum with a slight texture to it.
Thanks for the info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in