May be looking to purchase an elise (see link) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

May be looking to purchase an elise (see link)

Hey there. I am interested in this Elise that just popped up for sale.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=251341546

If you are a buying an elise from a dealer (like the one I listed), do you think it still needs a third party inspection? I just want to make sure I do not get screwed over....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
Very nice looking car. The pictures make the car look super clean but I would demand a CarFax at a minimum. I would get a third party inspection for sure. This dealer does not even know what they have.
The following info is false. Additional Information: Intermittent Wipers (nope, slow and fast only),​ Power Steering (Elise never had it), Rear Spoiler (don't see one), Premium Sound System (it is stock)
You should also find out if it has a hard top with all the hardware. They are stating $6755 below market but market probably has a hard top and sport package.
Good luck, it does look promising. Report back to the group what you find!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidLotus View Post
Very nice looking car. The pictures make the car look super clean but I would demand a CarFax at a minimum. I would get a third party inspection for sure. This dealer does not even know what they have.
The following info is false. Additional Information: Intermittent Wipers (nope, slow and fast only),​ Power Steering (Elise never had it), Rear Spoiler (don't see one), Premium Sound System (it is stock)
You should also find out if it has a hard top with all the hardware. They are stating $6755 below market but market probably has a hard top and sport package.
Good luck, it does look promising. Report back to the group what you find!
I agree. They don't know what they have, or there's something not quite right. My hunch is both. Get it thoroughly inspected.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Looks like a great price if the car is decent. It can have some flaws and I'd still consider that a very good deal. Which makes me a little skeptical. I've bought over a dozen cars sight-unseen and never had one from a dealership be as good as it looked (even after asking detailed questions). For me, it has to be cheap enough that I can plan on some "gotchas" once I get it.
Ideally, you really need to have somebody go look at the car. Personally, I don't think it has to be a shop, though. I was in the classic Corvette world for several years and did an inspection for a guy in Europe who was looking at a '69. He paid a local shop $100 for an inspection and they did all the normal things (turn signal bulb check, measured tire tread depth, measured brake pad thickness, wiper blade condition, etc etc etc). But they completely ignored everything a classic Corvette buyer would care about. Did the vacuum-operated headlights come up quickly and evenly? Was there evidence of reproduction fiberglass or chrome? Were the interior trim pieces all present and correct? How was the padding on the original steering wheel? Etc etc etc. Personally, I'd rather have somebody with a basic knowledge of the car just swing by the dealership, crawl around it for 15 minutes and take a quick test drive. The mechanicals on these cars are simple enough and solid enough that I'd be less concerned about that then hidden cracks in the fiberglass or evidence of mangled aluminum.
All that said, if I was in the market right now, I'd be hunting pretty hard to find somebody to look at that one. I dig the paint scheme and the price is attractive.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 AM

Garage
The other thing that just poked out at me was the following paragraph.
"Service Work completed on this Lotus Elise includes: Total Value: $467. Complete Multi-Point Inspection by factory trained technicians,​ Oil Filter Change by a Factory Trained Technician Using Original OEM Parts...."
They are not a Lotus dealer so what are their "factory trained technicians" and I bet they did not go to a Lotus dealer to get the parts. The whole paragraph sounds like canned verbiage that they paste into every add. I totally agree with E.Murray, get it looked at by someone that knows these cars, not just a gas station around the corner. Maybe even a Forum Member that lives in the area and is knowledgeable. Is there a Lotus dealer nearby?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am really looking for one of these in Ohio but it is slim pickings.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Have you looked at Gator Motorsports in Indy? That's where I got mine. They have one in stock now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 PM

I think is very well priced for a 2 owner, clean titled car. Grab it before it sells. I don't see it lasting that long for that price.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Murray View Post
Looks like a great price if the car is decent. It can have some flaws and I'd still consider that a very good deal. Which makes me a little skeptical.
That's my thought as well, as most dealers usually list cars slightly higher than private parties. and even the link says the car is "$6,724 below market". makes ya go hmmmm.
But hopefully it's just priced to sell

2005 Starlight Black Elise, -hardtop/touring/black interior/sector111 carpet buttons!
2008 Infiniti G37-S
2012 Mazda3i Grand Touring Hatchback w-SkyActiv
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlotus88 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am really looking for one of these in Ohio but it is slim pickings.
The actual listing says this car is in Massachusetts.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamlotus88 View Post
Iím in the Detroit area and considering selling my Elise, but was planning to wait til next spring. Nice car, looks and drives perfect, going to ask about 30-31k. Starlight Black, just in case youíre interested, at least itís close to Ohio!

Ken-Farmington Hills, MI
2005 Lotus Elise
2012 Mazda Miata
1957 MGA Coupe
1948 MG TC
1932 Austin 10/4 Sunshine
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Looks like the one in MA sold.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 AM

I’m in Columbus Ohio and have a 2005 Lotus Elise with 47,000 miles for sale $34,000
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Hello,
I recently posted my chrome orange 05 Elise for sale on CarGurus. The links is posted for reference.

I’d say get a third party inspection even if it’s from a dealership.

The original post could use some editing to include names of radiator and ac condenser etc..

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=252432120

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in