Maybe I'm a fool but ....(shoe size) - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Nice socks!

Excellent Craigy!

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 10:04 PM
and

Good job!!
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Well I feel like a traitor having now defected.

My interest in the Elise wasn't for the track, but for summer commuting and then "road trips" in final retirement (a scant less than 4 years off from completing my "2nd" career). And at 56 with those big 10.5 EEEE shoes, a fireplug frame of an ex-army drill sergeant / retired naval officer, and no dealer within a 9.5+ hour drive, I had to rethink my desire for the Elise.

I've compromised on the visceral thrills that the Elise will deliver. In exchange I think I've picked up a bit more creature comfort for an old man - All this with a parachute that I can activate if I totally regret the decision just made as I can always "trade up."

What's all this blather about?

See that little silver car with red leather interior next to the '73 Dodge Challenger I've passed onto my youngest son? Bought it a week ago and so far it is a kick in the ass. The 5 cubes in the trunk look to easily handle my needs. The cockpit wraps around you without pressure but isn't spartan either. The oft cited quality of the snick-snick 6 speed box is not a product of reviewers' creative license. The 9k redline and the VTEC snap are similar to the just out R&T description of the cam changes above 5k rpm on the Toyota engine the federalized Elise will be running up to about 8200 rpm. (BTW Thanks Randy for the scans!) So both cars have engines with the same generic qualities. But true 2800+ pounds is a LOT heavier than the Elise and the 240bhp available stock doesn't make up for that. It also has oversteer at the edge of the performance envelope that doesn't exhibit much transition at all. But all in all it is a worthy mount.

Bottom line is I'll live with this for now, but I'll still keep following and admiring the Elise so who knows what'll be my sled for retirement galavanting about in a few years? A S2000 or an Elise or ???

Bob A

Last edited by Bob A (SD); 10-04-2003 at 07:10 PM.

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 05:36 PM

The only thing I'd add is that although there seems to be plenty of foot space when the drivers on the right, on the left I've had alot of trouble getting my foot to hit the accelerator only. The space between the center console and the brake pedal seemed to be about 4.5 inches in the S1 and S2 cars I've driven, my foot is an 11.5 medium width. I think I'd be fine as long as im slightly careful with my shoe type.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:10 AM

Hi out There !
I have a S1, LHD, and shoesize 9.5. I chopped off about 5 mm
from the right side of the brake pedal and now I don't have any probs with my feet. For everyday driving all my shoes are ok, even the pretty wide ones with 5 inch, when it's just-for-fun-driving or track day I have puma racing shoes.
So don't worry about the pedals !
Matthias
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:05 PM

Hey, congratulations to you Bob on your purchase. You sound like a good guy and I hope we see you on the road or track in the future.

Jim
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:40 PM

Bob, the second Elise I drove I went over in my 7, believe me the Elise has a lot more room for feet than a 7! At least 11 D size feet, in fact after the 7 I felt the pedals were a little far apart in the Elise. But, definately drive one first, as others have said driving shoes help. Pilotis are narrow and I find them useful in an autocross or track day and they are confortable enough to were all day.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:31 PM

Unhappy

I had the same concern about shoe size, given my 12-wides. I had a chance to take a look at the Elise at the Atlanta Journal Constitution Auto Show this past weekend. Sure enough, I couldn't come close to reaching the gas without hitting the brake. I borrowed a tape measure and the distance from the brake to the aluminum center brace was only 4 3/4 inches. You would need shoes that are no more than 4 1/2 inches wide to drive this car without trouble. I didn't plan to just trailer this car to the track, so this doesn't work for me.

I hope to drive a demo in another month or so, but unless it's different than the early production car at the show, I think I'm headed for a Honda.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 PM

The pedals were also a big concern to me since I have an 11.5 size foot.

I messed with the pedals substantially both times I visited the show cars. The pedals are spaced differently than those pictures posted above, I believe. The clutch is closer to the tiny footrest thingy.

I wore my Merrill shoes to the shows - they are like tennis shoes only they have hiking/boot treads. I did have a little difficulty at first, but realized it was not impossible even with these large shoes. I will definitely be wearing dressier shoes once I get the elise though. In fact, I already picked out some narrower Aldos.

Even if you have big feet, I wouldnt let that discourage you. You should be able to drive the car ok. Besides, if you are driving around in an elise, dont you think you should dress a little more stylish anyways? New shoes and new shades should be a good investment to go along with your car.

-Whit
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 08:32 PM

I don't have a pair of shoes in my closet that would work in the show car. I had planned to commute in this car, and am not willing to have a special pair of shoes set aside for driving the Elise. I jumped into the S2000 after the Elise to check the pedal spacing. I could drive the Honda with clown shoes on! (not that mine are very far from that)
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:57 PM

Re: Maybe I'm a fool but ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob A (SD)
instead of putting down a deposit to get a number for an Elise, I've decided to hold off. Why? Simple. I'm r-e-a-l-l-y concerned about the closeness of the pedals. With my 10.5 EEEE shoes, despite some comments here about thinking I might be okay, I think I have cause for pause. Way back when I owned a '53 TR3A I had a chance to drive a Super 7.... loved the car but the pedals were impossible for me.

And living where I do in the shadows of Mt. Rushmore, the likelihood of snaging a test drive before the Elise is being delivered in quantities is zip. Closest dealer is a 9.5 hour drive away.

Maybe I'm a fool, but now I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands (err feet) on one... and believe me sitting tight is not gonna be any fun at all -

Bob A
I wear 11 1/2s & 12s and still manage to drive the Elise as it deserves (analogous to the running-in mode I'm currently in...)
You just have to adjust how far your foot will go in order to brake or open the throttle. The left foot is not an issue at all...

Go for it, and don't look the finger, when the finger shows the moon

Have fun!

Theo
Greek Lotus Club Admin
www.lotusclub.gr
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:25 AM

People with big feet (like me) are best served by getting driving shoes, the pedal placement is optimized for heel/toeing hence they're pretty close together, you guys might want to look at another thread here about different types of driving shoes.

Piloti makes several kind of driving shoes that look like regular outdoor/tennis shoes only with narrower tread. Puma as well. You definately don't have to buy the boy racer type shoes to drive the car.

Here's the thread with links: check out both Piloti and Puma for driving shoes, you'll be surprised!!!

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ighlight=shoes

Chris

Chris
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 02:30 AM

Irrespective of shoe size, I think you'd have been insane to buy a car where the nearest dealer is 9.5 hours away. Especially an Elise, because whilst the quality is decent these days, its still a hand built car. Hell even BMWs require a bit of dealer love when new.

S2000 sounds like a much better choice for you. Is it the newest revision with less snappy handling and bigger engine?
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 02:45 AM

Garage
I wear a size 7B and Im relatively short too at 5'6. My husband calls me "midget" but that's ok...I fit in all the cool cars. And when it comes down to it, I'd rather be able to fit in a cool car than play basketball

FWIW, my husband has big feet size 12, and is 6"3 and when we drove the sport 190 at Lotus USA he had on timberland hiking shoes with knobby sides, even then he was able to drive the car, it was just not very comfortable.

post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:35 PM

I checked with a mechanically-inclined friend about possibly modifying the brake pedal to allow for more clearance. He discouraged it because attempting to bend the stock pedal might break it, and fabricating a new pedal would be expensive, and would create an offset that might be incompatible with the master cylinder. From the pictures it looks like moving the master cylinder might not be an option because of the steering linkage.

I sent an email to my sales guy asking for a contact at Lotus. I'm still hoping that the show car might have had funky pedal spacing but I know that's a long shot.

If anyone could provide an email address to contact someone at Lotus engineering/manufacturing I'd really appreciate it.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 07:27 PM

Re: Maybe I'm a fool but ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob A (SD)
instead of putting down a deposit to get a number for an Elise, I've decided to hold off. Why? Simple. I'm r-e-a-l-l-y concerned about the closeness of the pedals. With my 10.5 EEEE shoes, despite some comments here about thinking I might be okay, I think I have cause for pause. Way back when I owned a '53 TR3A I had a chance to drive a Super 7.... loved the car but the pedals were impossible for me.

And living where I do in the shadows of Mt. Rushmore, the likelihood of snaging a test drive before the Elise is being delivered in quantities is zip. Closest dealer is a 9.5 hour drive away.

Maybe I'm a fool, but now I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands (err feet) on one... and believe me sitting tight is not gonna be any fun at all -

Bob A
My foot is 10.5 'D'
(normal width) and though I have no problem with the pedal spacing, there isn't a world of room left over on the sides. I don't know how much wider a
EEEE foot is over that of a D but if it's substantial you could have a problem.
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scmcclure
I checked with a mechanically-inclined friend about possibly modifying the brake pedal to allow for more clearance. He discouraged it because attempting to bend the stock pedal might break it, and fabricating a new pedal would be expensive, and would create an offset that might be incompatible with the master cylinder. From the pictures it looks like moving the master cylinder might not be an option because of the steering linkage.

I sent an email to my sales guy asking for a contact at Lotus. I'm still hoping that the show car might have had funky pedal spacing but I know that's a long shot.

If anyone could provide an email address to contact someone at Lotus engineering/manufacturing I'd really appreciate it.
valerie milton keates may be able to help - she's Lotus Customer Service, and might be able to help get you in contact with the right guy.

She's on [email protected]

Craigy
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:53 PM

If you soak your feet in pickle-brine for
approximately 6 hours a day.....within a
month or so you should have noticed narrower feet. If you still have a problem,
have the bone shaved along the side of the foot by Bone-Be-Gone. They also have a new division called Ass-Be-Gone which can help those with side-overhangs interfering with the gearshift.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

Exclamation

I am not recommending this modification to anyone. In fact I submit it with my flame suit on. Modifying pedals on cars is always something to be undertaken by professionals. Do it with extreme caution.

The pad on all the pedals is a separate piece. This pad is attached with a bolt/nut and some glue. You may be able to remove the brake pad and redrill the attachment hole and shift its placement over by about 9mm. You may also be able to shift the gas pad the same way in the other direction. Shifting both will likely provide up to an additional .5" to .75" of space.

Mechanically it is doable, I just don't know if it is safe. Please check with Lotus to see what they think.

Of course driving barefoot is another solution...though that may be illegal in some states...

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:32 PM

Let's get down to the real nitty gritty. If your foot measures larger than 4-1/2"
across its widest part, you are more than likely going to kill somebody when you hit the brake for sudden necessary stops, since your foot will also be hitting the accelerator. Go home, forget about the Elise and try the S2000 or Boxster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in