Mishimoto Sandwich plate and sensors - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Mishimoto Sandwich plate and sensors

Having just installed my third intake camshaft (first worn from previous owner, 2nd didn't last 8K miles) I decided to also install an oil temperature/pressure gauge when putting in the sandwich plate. I can confirm what others have reported, that is the oil is NO WHERE NEAR WARM ENOUGH to get on the 2nd cam at a water temp of 160. At that point, oil is only at 125 degrees or so. While i did not check with stock sandwich plate, the Mishimoto has a 185 degree thermostat so the oil warms up plenty before ever releasing downstream to the coolers. ( I understand the stock thermostat is always somewhat open so the oil never really warms enough). At highway speeds, the Mishimoto runs at a fairly consistent 195-205. Getting on the 2nd cam for some spirited 90-100 mph runs moved it up to 215. This was with outside temps in the high 50s F.

I can also report the Mishimoto, while having 2 ports for sensors, no way can one fit between the oil lines. Had to tap a 2nd for the pressure sensor while using the existing side port for temp.

At least now I KNOW when it's ok to jump on the 2nd cam...

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"

Last edited by JFHughes08088; 04-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

I did a timed "running around town" test and can report the following.

Cold start and go - ambient temp mid 50s F.
Time-----------Oil Temp
4 Min 14 Sec = 120 degrees F Water temp hit 160, car thinks 2nd cam is OK now but is isn't.
5 min 27 Sec = 140 degrees F
7 Min 33 Sec = 160 degrees F
9 Min 48 Sec = 180 degrees F This is when I would get on 2nd cam

**Note** I initially planned on blocking off the coolers but with the Mishimoto plate, there is no need. Oil maintains minimum 185 degrees (thermostat controlled) and gets over 200 with spirited driving.

post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:05 AM

Yeah, I dunno what that port is supposed to be good for, maybe all metric lines are smaller or if you used a mechanical gauge fitting you could squeeze it in there.

post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHughes08088 View Post
I did a timed "running around town" test and can report the following.

Cold start and go - ambient temp mid 50s F.
Time-----------Oil Temp
4 Min 14 Sec = 120 degrees F Water temp hit 160, car thinks 2nd cam is OK now but is isn't.
5 min 27 Sec = 140 degrees F
7 Min 33 Sec = 160 degrees F
9 Min 48 Sec = 180 degrees F This is when I would get on 2nd cam

**Note** I initially planned on blocking off the coolers but with the Mishimoto plate, there is no need. Oil maintains minimum 185 degrees (thermostat controlled) and gets over 200 with spirited driving.

are you running 2 stock coolers or have you modified your cooler setup?

also, mishi makes a 200* t-stat for future reference (I have one along with a plate ready to get installed once the f'in weather warms up here )

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

I'm running 2 stock coolers. I'm thinking of the 200 degree thermostat but wonder if 180 degrees + is high enough for running around town.

Last edited by JFHughes08088; 04-12-2018 at 05:30 AM.
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Exigegus, are you running a 200 degree t-stat or are you fine with the 185 degree?

Last edited by JFHughes08088; 04-21-2018 at 02:50 AM.
post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:29 AM

Garage
So I went to the Mishimoto site and looked for the sandwich plate but they don't list Toyota OR Lotus. Does anyone have the correct P/N to order?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 AM

this is the correct one, Amazon is convenient they are available elsewhere if you do not want to contribute to the Bezo's World Domination Program
Mishimoto MMOP-SPT Gold Thermostatic Oil Sandwich Plate with M20 Thread Pitch
and as I noted in bumping my old thread, I have the fittings
post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 AM

I run the 185 degree thermostat, I own 200 degree and haven't bothered with it
post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Here is the plate

Remember to contact Exigegus for the adapter so you can connect the cooler line to this plate. He has a 1-piece solution.

https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-...ich-plate.html

Last edited by JFHughes08088; 04-11-2018 at 08:20 AM.
post #11 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm running 2 stock coolers. I'm thinking of the 200 degree thermostat but wonder is 180+ is high enough for running around town.
I wonder how much of a difference removing one of the coolers & going with the 200 t-stat would do... id imagine it would help speed up the time for the oil to get to a tolerable temp & hopefully keep it at a warmer temp during normal commuting

also, what sensor & gauge did you go with for temp?

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #12 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I wonder how much of a difference removing one of the coolers & going with the 200 t-stat would do... id imagine it would help speed up the time for the oil to get to a tolerable temp & hopefully keep it at a warmer temp during normal commuting

also, what sensor & gauge did you go with for temp?

Closing off 1 or both coolers won't speed up time to get up to temp as flow doesn't speed up downstream until temp is higher than thermostat

Here's the gauge
Depo Racing 2 in 1 gauge | Depo Racing

And here's the pod I installed it in
60mm Aluminium Gauge Pod (All models) [6MMGP] - €44.99 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

...and here it is installed
Attached Images

carbuff and exigegus like this.

post #13 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Garage
Interesting that Amazon sells for $136 and vendor site sells for $160.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #14 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Not a big surprise. When manufacturer sells direct to consumer, they in effect compete with their re-seller customers. To avoid the conflict, they sell direct but at MSRP. Amazon re-sellers buy wholesale and will typically sell at a discount off MSRP.
exigegus likes this.

post #15 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Great info. I think a sandwich plate with oil pressure and temperature gauges is going to be my first mod once I find the right Elise. I agree that 180F is about right to start really getting on it. I'm actually surprised it only takes 10 minutes to get up to 180F on a 50F day.
post #16 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapps View Post
Great info. I think a sandwich plate with oil pressure and temperature gauges is going to be my first mod once I find the right Elise. I agree that 180F is about right to start really getting on it. I'm actually surprised it only takes 10 minutes to get up to 180F on a 50F day.
My concern is that the car will LET you get on the 2nd cam when water temp hits 160, even when we now know at that water temp, the oil is only 125, which is way too low.

post #17 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:32 AM

Garage
Quote:

I can also report the Mishimoto, while having 2 ports for sensors, no way can one fit between the oil lines. Had to tap a 2nd for the pressure sensor while using the existing side port for temp.

1 more question... did you run into any sensor depth issues using the side port for your temp sensor on the mishi t-stat plate? & what sensor did you go with (im so needy, sorry)

I also agree that the middle port looks like too small of clearance to use

post #18 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
1 more question... did you run into any sensor depth issues using the side port for your temp sensor on the mishi t-stat plate? & what sensor did you go with (im so needy, sorry)

I also agree that the middle port looks like too small of clearance to use
No sorry required. This is what the forum is all about.

While the plate appears to have two ports for sensors, it doesn't. The one between the threaded females is used in the CNC milling process. I had to tap a second port for pressure. Honestly, I wasn't concerned about pressure nearly as much as temp but since the gauge has pressure and temp, I ran both. If you only run a temperature sensor, no plate modifications needed. The existing side port worked fine for the temperature probe supplied with the gauge.

post #19 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
No sorry required. This is what the forum is all about.

While the plate appears to have two ports for sensors, it doesn't. The one between the threaded females is used in the CNC milling process. I had to tap a second port for pressure. Honestly, I wasn't concerned about pressure nearly as much as temp but since the gauge has pressure and temp, I ran both. If you only run a temperature sensor, no plate modifications needed. The existing side port worked fine for the temperature probe supplied with the gauge.

Yeah I only plan on doing temp, so thats good to hear... no I gotta figure out how to properly tie that sensor to the garw digi dash. time to do some more homework

post #20 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
Yeah I only plan on doing temp, so thats good to hear... no I gotta figure out how to properly tie that sensor to the garw digi dash. time to do some more homework
Honestly, I don't know if the car ever had an oil temperature sensor. 2nd cam engagement was tied to water temp, not oil...If it doesn't, not sure what good a sensor alone will do, unless the GARW dash pod can accommodate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in