Mishimoto Sandwich plate and sensors - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHughes08088 View Post
Honestly, I don't know if the car ever had an oil temperature sensor. 2nd cam engagement was tied to water temp, not oil...If it doesn't, not sure what good a sensor alone will do, unless the GARW dash pod can accommodate it.
you're correct... oil temp wasn't utilized for the 2zz from the factory (there is a dummy pressure sensor but thats it)... in hindsight id rather have an oil temp reading over the water temp that lotus utilized. clearly back when they started making the s2 they didn't think oil temp was gonna be an issue or they would have likely designed a different cooler setup lol. Even sport car manufacturers like lotus make mistakes

the Garw dash does have a oil pressure & temp sensor pin to adapt/configure a sensor too so I planned on going that route instead of separate guage

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 02:45 PM

Mishimoto is having a 25% off sale until 4/17. Use promo code TAX2AUTO5. I just ordered a sandwich plate and saved a few bucks compared to Amazon. If you are not in CA you will save a few more and shipping is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Thanks. Can you post a link to the sandwichplate?
me73 likes this.

post #24 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Post #10 has it

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #25 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Thank you guys. I just ordered mine. $120.00 shipped.
post #26 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Robocop305 Thank you guys. I just ordered mine. $120.00 shipped
So how did you get it for $120? I went to the link and it stated $160 and I don't think that includes shipping. Did you get a discount code or something? What thermostat did you get?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #27 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Quote:
Robocop305 Thank you guys. I just ordered mine. $120.00 shipped
So how did you get it for $120? I went to the link and it stated $160 and I don't think that includes shipping. Did you get a discount code or something? What thermostat did you get?
Use the discount code TAX2AUTO5 posted above. Lowers the price to $120 and it has free standard shipping.
post #28 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 AM

Garage
Excellent, I will probably order tonight. Is everything to do the swap included or are there additional parts required such as fittings? Do the stock sandwich plates have any kind of thermostat or does 100% of the oil go to the cooler all the time?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #29 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyrd79 View Post
Use the discount code TAX2AUTO5 posted above. Lowers the price to $120 and it has free standard shipping.
Thats it!
post #30 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Excellent, I will probably order tonight. Is everything to do the swap included or are there additional parts required such as fittings? Do the stock sandwich plates have any kind of thermostat or does 100% of the oil go to the cooler all the time?
You can get the fittings from Exigegus.
post #31 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:31 PM

Mishimoto Sandwich plate and sensors

I ordered the fittings for the oil lines from exigegus. I also ordered a oil filter union kit from monkey wrench racing. At the end of exigegus' post dual oil cooler answer to overcooling someone mentioned problems with the oem piece failing. It was worth $39 for me to swap that while I was in there and not have to worry about it failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #32 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM

I apologize as this may be a stupid question, but should there be any concern with the cold oil in the coolers being sent to a hot engine? It's my understanding that the thermostat in the factory sandwich plate allows some oil to flow to the coolers even when closed. The Mishimota plate blocks all flow to the coolers until the engine oil is up to temp. At this point it would open and allow almost 3L of cold oil to flow to the engine. I can see how this wouldn't be a concern in most applications as they don't have the amount of oil sitting in the oil cooling system as we do. Any thoughts on this?
post #33 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

I spoke to mishimoto last week about this very issue. Oil flow is not ever totally blocked so no cold oil rushing to join warm, which would cause a sudden temp drop. Its just a quicker time to 185, then gradual to over 200 as you stomp in it.

post #34 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM

Garage
Okay, thanks. I guess I will do a little more research. Can anyone answer if the factory sandwich plate has any form of active thermostat or if it just routes all oil to the cooler?

Central Florida
post #35 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I guess I will do a little more research. Can anyone answer if the factory sandwich plate has any form of active thermostat or if it just routes all oil to the cooler?
It does but I don't know the release temp.

post #36 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 AM

Garage
Bump before it falls off the list... Does anyone have more info?

Central Florida
post #37 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 AM

The factory sandwich plate does have a thermostat. The difference, as far as I can tell, is the factory plat lets more oil bypass at all times. The Mishimoto allows less oil to bypass when cold. These thermostat sandwich plates will never dump all of the cold oil into the engine. When the engine oil comes up to the thermostat set point, the thermostat will only open a little bit. The hotter the oil gets, the more the thermostat will open. Hot oil form the engine and cool oil from the coolers will mix while existing the sandwich plate.
me73 likes this.
post #38 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Bump before it falls off the list... Does anyone have more info?
I think the factory plate has the t-stat set @ 172* to fully open

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #39 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Everything I have read is more 165 degrees or something. I don't think anyone sees 170 degree oil with a stock plate.....

As explained in other threads, the stock thermostat never shuts oil off to the coolers. When the oil is up to temp, it closes the bypass internal to the sandwich plate and then allows more oil to flow through the coolers. There are thermostats that work this way and thermostats that work the way the Mish does, actually closing the path to the coolers[or as noted, severely limits it]

I think if the oil cooler were more restrictive it would work more as designed.

At no point is there 3 liters of cold oil, the thermostat opens gradually, and there is some bypass, so the oil in the lines would get fed in over a period of time
post #40 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Garage
I am inclined not to get the Mish because it sounds like they both circulate some oil to the cooler all the time until they reach set temperature. The Mish has the advantage of changing to a higher set temp and that appears to be the only advantage. I would rather eliminate the cooler altogether since I am only using the car on the street. Most, if not all, other cars with 2ZZ engines have no oil cooler anyways. Is my logic flawed?

Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in