Mishimoto Sandwich plate and sensors - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Less is Better

I did the sandwich plate without draining the oil. About 3 tablespoons of oil dripped out of the lines and from the filter during the process. Just don't turn the oil filter over as it's full. No need to drain the oil to do this job. In fact, draining the pan probably doesn't make any difference to the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

I won't be changing the oil because of the thermostat swap, I'll change the oil because of the track days. Good practice to change it after each track event.

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #63 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM

I think the only reason I talk about doing it during an oil change is that you are half way there with the aero tray off and the oil filter off.

And we all probably change our oil too often anyway........

post #64 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

OK, finished the thermostat swap. Installed the Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat as I wanted to raise the low end oil temp a bit over 185. Easiest Elise project yet. Simple unscrew, swap, reinstall. The only challenge was getting a wrench on the nut but hey, at least its accessible.

Now, oil climbs to 200 degrees and stays there.
driftwood and Robocop305 like this.

post #65 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHughes08088 View Post
OK, finished the thermostat swap. Installed the Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat as I wanted to raise the low end oil temp a bit over 185. Easiest Elise project yet. Simple unscrew, swap, reinstall. The only challenge was getting a wrench on the nut but hey, at least its accessible.

roughly how long is it taking to get to 200 for you form a cold start?

i just installed my plate with 200 t-stat this past weekend but haven't got my temp sensor wired in yet (probably wont till next oc)

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #66 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Less is Better

Quote:

Are you going to add the data to your comparison plot?
post #67 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

I haven't timed it to time 200 but my first few posts show 9m 48s to 180, which is the minimum I would jump on the fun cam. From 180 to 200 couldn't be more than a few minutes but without a 200 degree tstat, it would require some hard driving to get it there.

post #68 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
I haven't timed it to time 200 but my first few posts show 9m 48s to 180, which is the minimum I would jump on the fun cam. From 180 to 200 couldn't be more than a few minutes but without a 200 degree tstat, it would require some hard driving to get it there.
The ramp rate up to temperature shouldn't change at all, but the 200F thermostat should change the steady state temperature of the oil, so the slope stays the same but it will stabilize higher. I'm interested in the difference in that stable temperature.
post #69 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

The difference is 15 degrees. Mishimoto place comes with 185 but you can (I did) buy a 200 degree.

post #70 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 AM

If you are running the Mish thermostat[or equivalent] it is a pretty safe bet that as soon as you are up to normal operating water temp, you are good to go on the cam, from my experience. I put gauges in because I was doing research, and I love gauges. If you had one, an oil pressure is the one to go with. You can infer the oil temp from the oil pressure. Make note of your, say 4k rpm oil pressure when full hot. It will be lower than when it is dead cold or even medium warm. You then can judge what temp range your oil is in.

I would check that my oil coolers stay cold when the car is cold, and get hot when the car is hot, when I think of it, if I wasn't running gauges
post #71 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

My experience has been when water temp is up to normal, oil is still too cold.

post #72 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
If you are running the Mish thermostat[or equivalent] it is a pretty safe bet that as soon as you are up to normal operating water temp, you are good to go on the cam, from my experience. I put gauges in because I was doing research, and I love gauges. If you had one, an oil pressure is the one to go with. You can infer the oil temp from the oil pressure. Make note of your, say 4k rpm oil pressure when full hot. It will be lower than when it is dead cold or even medium warm. You then can judge what temp range your oil is in.

I would check that my oil coolers stay cold when the car is cold, and get hot when the car is hot, when I think of it, if I wasn't running gauges
Exiegus, I was thinking to do a single gauge but for not much more $, you can get a dual gauge (temp and pressure). No need to run multiple gauges when 1 can serve both..

post #73 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
My experience has been when water temp is up to normal, oil is still too cold.
With the Mish plate I hit 165[the factory thermostat setting] at right about the same time I hit 184
post #74 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Exiegus, I was thinking to do a single gauge but for not much more $, you can get a dual gauge (temp and pressure). No need to run multiple gauges when 1 can serve both..
yeah but they tend to be huge and I could not find a place for such a big dumbly gauge. Plus the wiring is really the work not the gauge.

I thought it would be cool to have a pair of rows of colored LEDs that just hide on the column shroud. Like blue green red for the temp and red then green for the oil pressure

If I was more electronics oriented I don't think it would be that hard but I have enough projects.....
post #75 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
yeah but they tend to be huge and I could not find a place for such a big dumbly gauge. Plus the wiring is really the work not the gauge.
I installed an Innovate Pressure & Temperature gauge when I installed the Mishimoto plate and I'm quite happy with it. I have it set up so that when the outer ring shows 4 green bars I know the oil is up to temp. You're right though, it's extra work to wire both pressure and temperature sensors.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/.../MTXD.php#3913
post #76 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Where can I buy just the 200 degree thermostat? Also, do you have any pictures showing the installation of the gauge sensors? Do they instal on the Mishimoto sandwichplate? Thanks
post #77 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocop305 View Post
Where can I buy just the 200 degree thermostat?
I got mine from Summit:
Mishimoto Replacement Sandwich Plate Thermostats MMTS-SPT-93
post #78 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

My earlier post (#12) shows the gauge installed. It wasn't really much more work to wire both vs 1. If I'm running a wire from the plate into the cabin, 2 isn't any more effort. I liked the single gauge option instead of Blackwatch Racing's solution, which is a column that straddles the center tunnel. Mine is out of the way, readable when I need it and tells me when temp is up enough.

post #79 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:50 AM

Mind you I did two gauges:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/o...gauges-398377/

One must realize that people have varying levels of project intimidation/ aesthetic or originality bias and just wanted to make clear that it is not necessary to to go full monty to get useful information
post #80 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
...Blackwatch Racing's solution, which is a column that straddles the center tunnel.
That's what I have. Works well for me. Plus, after spending an hour working under the dash I'm qualified to run off and join the circus!
Attached Images

CRG53 likes this.

Last edited by Jason Alderman; 05-09-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in