Mishimoto Sandwich plate and sensors - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 PM

A bump on a not-so-old thread.

Any reason not to run a braided line from the NPT port on the Mish plate to a remote Tee and use that Tee to feed a pressure and a temp gauge?

I had my temp sensor in an MWR replacement oil pan drain plug that has a bore in the middle to accept the sensor. Snapped off at last oil change (at 20 ft lbs). Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. It does after all have a big hole in it so strength is compromised. I had the pressure sensor on the Mish port but it is biggish and i worry a bit about vibration. The hose into the Mish plate wouldn't have that issue and the fittings would be a lot less crowded than they are now.

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:41 AM

pretty common setup for gauges
post #123 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:21 PM

Thank you!

1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace

post #124 of 127 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM

A quick follow up on this. Matt at MWR thinks this won't work well as he believes the temp sensor has to have some oil flow around it to work well. So i think i will put the temp right in the plate, run a line from the OEM pressure sensor tap in the block to a remote tee for the OEM and after-market pressure gauges, and revert to the OEM drain plug. Another round of parts from Summit Racing! Let's see if I can find a BSPT to 4AN adapter.

I am wondering now if having the OP sensor right in the plate, which must bounce around, accounts for my oil pressure gauge fluctuating so much. I'll soon have an answer.

post #125 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:39 AM

Bump to see if Kevin has an answer yet and a newbie (as such) question.

I bought my 05 NA Elise about 5-6 weeks ago and pretty much have only driven it home and gave my brother a ride around the neighborhood the next day. @120 miles total. On the original test drive, we had some "city traffic" for at least 8-10 minutes, plus the original, start, idle, talk prior to test drive. At roughly I think would be @15 minutes the seller said "you should be good to go now" when I was ready to push a bit harder. I figured he was just being conservative on warm up. (Not knowing anything about the oiling/warm oil issues) on these cars. Felt good, etc. Drive home 2 weeks later had lots of stop and go and I noticed at one point the temp over 200F before I got on it.

The owner had installed the Mishimoto with a 200F thermo.

Now the question, the next day I went to give my visiting brother a ride. Probably @ 5-6 mins at best and when I finally saw the temp display come on, I got on it and the cam change started, but fell flat/ rev limiter hit @ 7500? I thought "OK, nice protection", drove another few minutes and then it would go to the 8K+ range and seemed normal to my newbie observations. Now that I know to not do that again, does anyone think I may have damaged a cam already? Is it worth pulling the cam cover to check first?

TIA
Bill
post #126 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:49 AM
He's on fire!

the only way to know if you have damage is to look. It is really easy to check on an NA motor... if you haven't looked at the cams before, not a bad idea to look at them.
6TVRs+ likes this.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #127 of 127 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TVRs+ View Post
Now the question, the next day I went to give my visiting brother a ride. Probably @ 5-6 mins at best and when I finally saw the temp display come on, I got on it and the cam change started, but fell flat/ rev limiter hit @ 7500? I thought "OK, nice protection", drove another few minutes and then it would go to the 8K+ range and seemed normal to my newbie observations. Now that I know to not do that again, does anyone think I may have damaged a cam already? Is it worth pulling the cam cover to check first?

TIA
Bill
i think that's just the normal progression of the redline during warmup. i don't think you damaged anything. but it never hurts to pull the cam cover and inspect the state of things.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...4/#post5958892
6TVRs+ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in