Move passenger seat forward 1 inch - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By JFHughes08088

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Move passenger seat forward 1 inch

To fit the sub I want, I need to move my passenger seat forward an inch (really 3/4" would do it). I've seen references in other threads to people having done this. Rather than reinventing things, I'd like to see what has worked for other folks first. Here's my current plan:

Rear bolts - Use 1/8" thick, 1" wide bar stock. Drill and tap a hole the size of the bolt for the seat. Thread the bolt into the bar stock, then cut off the head and weld it in place where the head was. That bolt will go up through the existing hole in the seat track (so I'll use a nut on it to hold the seat in place). Then, 1" away on the bar stock, I'll drill a hole. I can use that hole to bolt my new "bracket" into the existing threaded hole in the floor. When mounting, I can bolt the bracket in, leaving the bolt pointing up, then the holes in the seat rail go over the bolt. If a nut won't fit into the rail, I can always use a spacer so the nut goes above the rail. Hope that all makes sense...

Front - I'm hoping I can simply drill a hole 1" back on the rail. I know it would be tight to get a bolt through it (and, honestly, I haven't looked to see how feasible this would be). That would be the simplest option, though.

As a side benefit, the back of the seat moves vertically up 1/8" which will tilt it slightly (I could space the front up too if need be), giving me more room. Anybody done this to know if there's a better way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Have you considered buying a RHD seat rail? That would allow you to move it like our LHD drivers seats here in the US.
darkSol, VisualEchos and Kubera like this.

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 AM

Because interior is offset for RHD vs LHD, this would not work, the passenger side is narrower.

I did what the OP did with a pair of straps and a small notch in the console

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:42 AM

Which sub are you trying to fit behind the seat? Have you tried putting it on the rear parcel shelf in front of the map pocket?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

The sub isn't going behind the seat. I have a box on the shelf and would like to use a different sub, but it won't fit with the seat in the stock position.
And exigegus is right. You can't play that game. I wish it was that easy, but that topic has been discussed many many times with always the same conclusion. Nope.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM

Is taking an inch off the box an option or are you needing the airspace for your sub.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:31 PM

What sub are you thinking about? I have a custom fiberglass box on the shelf with enough airspace for a shallow mount 10. I currently have the Pioneer, but am upgrading to the JL 10tw3. Even now, I have to a of bass and it's really tight.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Pic of 10" sub in box. Sorry for second post, it wouldn't attach the first time
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Just a thought but would spacing up give you enough ?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Oops, I spend all my time in the drivers seat....No wonder I keep forgetting the passenger seat is off-set. My bad.

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Right now, I have a carbon fiber box with a Dayton 10" HO. It's a great sub (happens to be that the ideal enclosure is exactly the .6 cu. ft. I have), but I have a JL 10TW3 on a shelf that I want to try. The problem is that the JL sub has this giant flange and the box is designed to mount the sub recessed. The Dayton fits in the recess (with a 1/2" MDF spacer), but the flange diameter on the JL is way too big. To mount it, I need to make an adapter which allows it to be mounted with the flange completely in front of the lip on the box. Which means it won't fit behind the passenger's seat. If I space the seat forward a bit, I can try it to see if I prefer it over the Dayton.
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Is the passenger footwell an option? I have the JL Audio stealthbox from back in the day which is form fitted and an easy install - added a $10 set of speaker protective bars from Amazon to cut down on the wear and tear to the speaker grill. Even through the stealthbox is no longer avail, there should be space for a similar enclosure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in