My Elise K20 Turbo and many others mods.
Another threat about a personal car. The mean reason for that threat is to give feed-back and help to peoples looking for similar mods. It can be helpful for many of us, as well as I am quite often looking
about experience from other car owner.
I am happy to show the result of a long run evolution of my car. I purchased the car in 2006. The car is in constant evolution since then. I am open to have this threat as an open discussion about solutions I did.
First: the car like it was: The car is used on the track and street since the beginning. The engine 2ZZ was pimped up with a Katana, after with a Rev 300 with a modified block, and after a Rev 400. Many parts were modified as the suspension, brake etc. For me, the 2ZZ engine is a fragile engine, and I spend a lot of money to have it as reliable as possible. Between 2015-2016, I stopped to use the car on the track because it was too much fragile.
2017 turnover: The car was fitted with a K20 built engine for a Turbo set-up. The goal was to have a faster car than ever, and more reliable. The car is used mainly on high speed race track close to Montreal, like Mont-Tremblant and Calabogie. And of course, used like a street car. The file on attachment shows the complete parts list of the car. The engine, with 396 whp is quite powerful, and the turbo give a big torque boost with a kind of unpredictable. It is not as good power delivery than supercharge. As a prototype, the car ran on track 3 times during summer 2017 with average result. Burn one turbo outlet hose after 15 minutes on track... second trial, I busted one rear axle. And the third trackday was good, ans since I was very rusty driver, I just meet my lap time of 1:48. Then, I was not faster than 3 years before, but equal with a relax rusty attitude. Not bad after all. The max speed on Mont-Tremblant straight line is now 230 and it was 212 3 years ago.
- Improving the throttle body opening with a drive by cam throttle body. With the turbo, the power is
not proportional to the TB opening. The cam should help to obtain a more relax power delivery with
small pedal movement.
- The car will be equipped with a Traction control from Hondata. I don’t know if it will work great, but
not expensive to purchase, why not, Off mode still a possibility if I don’t like it. The TC will use to output from the ABS controller.
- Return of the ABS. The ABS was removed from the car in 2008. The car is now very very fast, and I start to be quite old... I decided to put back an ABS, but a racing proposition, the Bosch clubsport M5 ABS set for racing application. Expensive of course, but I expect to be happy with that kind of technologies. The bearing from the Lotus Elise S3 (purchased at eliseparts in UK) can be used to have the right signal required by the ABS. Good news, approved by Bosch Germany. I purchased the ABS at racedatasystems in UK. Delivery expected soon, in will be one of the first M5 sold.
- Rear axle: Not fully happy with the insane shaft kit I purchased from them. The axles will be changed for custom made shaft and using OEM Lotus and OEM Honda parts on other end. Good stuff. Axles coming within 2 weeks.
- The Hoosier R7 245-40-17 are large, the rear tire are touching the rear fender as well as the frame. ****! I don’t like the idea, but I decided to enlarge the car. I decided to go with the Hethelsport flare kit. I am waiting for delivery in December. The rear clam for BOE should be my first choice, but the money reason, I just decided to go with flare kit. At the same time, I will switch the wheel for 17x8 teams dynamics. Spacer will be added with a pilot extension on bearing hub.
- The shifter kit from Innovative was not perfect at all at the beginning, and the shifter ratio as modified was good. But the rotation over a oilite bushing is giving loose play. Since it is easy to make, I just decided to make the lever running on ball bearing. Easy to make with a lathe.
- The car was modified long time ago with a twin brake calliper at rear, and using the original one for the handbrake. I decided to switch to MC4 Wilwood for the rear handbrake calliper, weight saving, look better and better to adjust. Will be installed soon. All parts done to fit.
- The alternator fitment was too tight with the frame. I decided to install the alternator at his original position. Job done, not as the picture shown here. But still to do, find a place to install the coolant expansion tank. Tight fit... don't know yet the solution.
I will post progress with pictures and more details.
Elise 2006, white, K20 turbo GT3076R, 395 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!