New Brake Pads for the Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By steelypip
  • 1 Post By XHILR8N!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

New Brake Pads for the Elise

I recently installed new brake pads on the Elise ('05 - 29k mi). I purchased the car with 7000+ miles so I assumed the pads were original. They still had life left, but initial pedal travel began to increase a bit, and felt softer than I remembered it, even with having changed the fluid twice during my ownership. My specific criteria: DD, no track, a shade more aggressive initial "bite", low dust.

I installed EBC Red Stuff ceramic low dust pads at all corners over a Saturday morning..couldn't be happier. The part I am most impressed with is the extremely low level of dust these pads deposit. How do they do that? Stopping power, at least in street driving, is every bit as good as OEM. I'm impressed with these pads. This has been a revelation for my wheel cleaning routine!
Attached Images

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition by regular use."
Page 152 Lotus Elise owner's manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Less is Better

According to EBC, the dust generated by the pads is light in color, so it's contrast on wheels is low.

I've had hit and miss experience with reds. I used them on an Eclipse GSX that had gunmetal wheels over a decade ago. After the pad bedding material wore off the dust was, indeed, very low and the wheels stayed clean for a long time. But there was light colored dust.

I've installed them on my G37 when the original pads were worn. I've been running them for about 7000 miles now. This car has shiny, but not quite polished sport package wheels.

I waited for about 500 miles before making a judgement because the break-in/cleaning material on these pads is meant to rough up the disk and leaves a significant amount of dust. I've since cleaned the wheels a few times but I continue to get fairly dusty wheels. Significantly more than the stock Nissan pads.

I think I'm going to try Porterfield R4-S on the Elise, they've left no dust on my Miata's wheels and feel is very similar to stock.

Last edited by me73; 09-08-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
According to EBC, the dust generated by the pads is light in color, so it's contrast on wheels is low.

I've had hit and miss experience with reds. I used them on an Eclipse GSX that had gunmetal wheels over a decade ago. After the pad bedding material wore off the dust was, indeed, very low and the wheels stayed clean for a long time. But there was light colored dust.

I've installed them on my G37 when the original pads were worn. I've been running them for about 2000 miles now. This car has shiny, but not quite polished sport package wheels.

I waited for about 500 miles before making a judgement because the break-in/cleaning material on these pads is meant to rough up the disk and leaves a significant amount of dust. I've since cleaned the wheels a few times but I continue to get fairly dusty wheels. Significantly more than the stock Nissan pads.

I think I'm going to try Porterfield R4-S on the Elise, they've left no dust on my Miata's wheels and feel is very similar to stock.
I have Wilwood's on the front and got low dust pads from them that are amazingly dust free. Do you think the Porterfield R4-S will be really low dust? They are pretty expensive for a "experiment" on my rear brakes. I have the OEM (to the best of my knowledge, I'm the 4th owner) pads and they are VERY dusty. I wish I could find some true ceramic pads because I don't track my car and I hate the constant brake dust on my glossy black powder coated wheels!
Attached Images

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Garage
I used the Red Stuff for both street and track and really liked them. They worked great on the street and pretty good on the track until I started getting faster and had some fading issues. I still use them for the street.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
I'm running Porterfield R4-S shoes on a couple of high performance Corvairs. They've proved to be great for getting good consistent hot stops out of unboosted drum brakes (most memorably, towing with a loaded Corvair van in the mountains). Cold feel is definitely not soft compound grippy, but is adequate, and the hotter they get, the better they work. I suspect anything that ships with power assisted disks like an Elise or Miata is great with this compound.
mattjk likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
I'm running Porterfield R4-S shoes on a couple of high performance Corvairs. They've proved to be great for getting good consistent hot stops out of unboosted drum brakes (most memorably, towing with a loaded Corvair van in the mountains). Cold feel is definitely not soft compound grippy, but is adequate, and the hotter they get, the better they work. I suspect anything that ships with power assisted disks like an Elise or Miata is great with this compound.
Power assisted on an Elise? Not mine... What year had power assist?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:17 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidLotus View Post
Got bad news for you, your Elise has power assisted brakes when it left hethel...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidLotus View Post
Like @jds62f says, if your car is built on or after 2005, it's got power assisted brakes.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Like @jds62f says, if your car is built on or after 2005, it's got power assisted brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Got bad news for you, your Elise has power assisted brakes when it left hethel...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wow, guess I feel stupid!

Central Florida
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
"The car was signed from production on the 24th September 2004"
Idiot (me): So does this mean my 05 does NOT have power assisted brakes?

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 AM

first thing I do on any car I buy: Porterfield R4-S

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 AM

If it is a toyota powered federlized car sold in the US, it has a power booster. You can confirm this by removing the drivers side front access panel. Your master cylinder will be bolted to a pie tin shaped booster on the bulkhead.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 AM

I've been using EBC red pads for all of my street vehicles for several years now. They are quiet, very low dust, have good bite, and long life. Far better than OEM Lotus, VW, or Volvo pads. Probably OK for autocross, but not a good choice for real track use. I did use EBC yellows for quite a while for a track/street pad, but found they were very high dust and only so so on the track. I think EBC has some more track oriented pads, but I have gone to Carbotech Bobcats for street and Carbotech XP-12s front and rear for the track on my Elise. Really like the feel of these.

O6 Elise Full Lotus Sport Ohlins Suspension Upgrade, VF Stage 2
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
"The car was signed from production on the 24th September 2004"
Idiot (me): So does this mean my 05 does NOT have power assisted brakes?
To be more specific, MY2005 and up. If it's a Federal Elise, it's power brakes, at least it was stock.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
To be more specific, MY2005 and up. If it's a Federal Elise, it's power brakes, at least it was stock.
10/4

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Less is Better

This is the dust on the wheels from the past 800 or so miles after about 7000 miles with the Redstuff pads on the car. They're much dustier than the stock Nissan pads they replaced, unfortunately. They do stop the car nicely, I will say. I imagine the rotors also have some influence on the dust production so it's probably different for different cars.
Attached Images

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:53 PM
glb

I like my Hawk ceramics; good stopping, very little dust.

PLUS: Wax your wheels so dust doesn't stick so much and is easier to wash off. I just use my 1 Grand Blitz Wax.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:29 PM

Garage
Now for a track car, it’s quite different.

The best our Elise has ever looked, when her true beauty was most apparent, was at the end of a track day with a turn signal popped out, heavy brake dust, and bits of melted race tire all over the place. The smell of tires and brakes. Maybe a bit of clutch in there too. A true Lotus.

Sorta like seeing your true love first thing in the morning. She never looks better.
6TVRs+ likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I like my Hawk ceramics; good stopping, very little dust.

PLUS: Wax your wheels so dust doesn't stick so much and is easier to wash off. I just use my 1 Grand Blitz Wax.
I had Hawk ceramics on a Subaru Outback Sport that had black painted wheels with machined front surfaces. I had dust from them as well, only noticeable on the black surfaces. The dust always had an interesting red tint to it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in