The Ordeal of the Camshafts - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM

This is kind of a late addition to this but Since they started reducing the amount of ZZDP (zinc) in motor oil that was it for engines with sliding high pressure parts (like the 2ZZ has). if using an additive that contains zinc bothers you use one that had inert property’s (like boron) there are several on the market Archoil has one AR9100 friction modifier you have to add it with every oil change though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Not really.... the cam is considerably harder than stock and these blanks and cams tend not to wipe on the bigger "stage X" cams.... that said, there are obviously no guarantees. The system is obviously flawed from the onset. Guaranteed not to wipe comes with the Ferrea solid roller rocker, but that's not for everyone.... These intake cams will improve the durability but not cure the inherent design flaw in the head...

Cheers,

Phil
I've read a number of these wiped cam threads and I thought the consensus was we didn't know what the cause is. But you seem to be saying here that it's a defective head design. If so, what's the defect. And wouldn't this mean that all 2zz engines, or at least all of them in our cars, will fail (all have the same head design)?

The last post mentioned lack of zinc in the newer motor oils. I thought this was only a problem for older cars designed to run on non-synthetic dino oil?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 12:46 PM
glb

I trust Phil a lot. But, I don't know about the design flaw in head at all.

Note that cam probs were rare among Toyotas with this engine.

5-30W oil, no oil coolers. (I asked a Toyota engineer friend.)

I saw a few engine builders stress to not engage cam switchover until 20 or so minutes after coolant was fully up to temp.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Plug Whisperer

I suspect it depends on how one defines the word "flaw".... to me, it's a terrible design from several angles... But hey, it's what we have, so we live with it....

That said, Yamaha, could take a few queues from Honda on the VVTL concept. Honda's is MUCH more robust and FAR less finicky... lighter too... less complex... and, and, and...

Again, it's what we have... I'm not into swapping motors in it because at some point it's just not a Lotus no-mo... but the 2ZZ isn't ever going to be a legendary motor, IMHO... and there are very good reasons for that...

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Sold my Exige S

Yep, it's a combination of problems with our motors.

The 2zz's oil pump does cavitate pretty bad at higher RPMs. Consider also that our cars add about 27 feet of oil line for coolers up front which strains ideal oil pressure (not a problem for the Celica crowd). Now add overcooled oil and an aggressive driver to the mix and it's no surprise that we see more wiped cams than the Celica owners.

I'm still not sold on our intake cams being faulty from Toyota. I inspected my intake cam two years ago when I installed a single rear oil cooler. The lobes checked out fine for 11k miles, but others here with similar or even less mileage already had scoring and flat spots. I'll be inspecting my cams again in the coming months to see how they've held up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in