Popping out of 6th gear - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Popping out of 6th gear

My '05 Elise has developed a problem where it pops out of 6th gear. It started probably less than 500 miles ago, when I was steady state cruising in 6th. All of a sudden it popped out of gear, into Neutral. I could deliberately and put it back into 6th with slow "side then back" movement, and it would usually stay for quite a while.

This issue would continue over the next maybe 100-200 miles, popping out after a recent 5-6 gear change and then staying in with the deliberate 6th gear afterwards.

Then, it quickly got worse. The deliberate 6th stopped working to the point where it would soon pop back out.

Then, shortly after 6th gear became impossible. Now, it is to the point where I can be off throttle, do a slow and deliberate 6th gear engagement. It WILL coast in gear, but the second any throttle is applied it pops out - like immediately. But now, rather than being in just neutral it grinds until I clutch and push it all the way into neutral or into another gear. All other gears work, including Reverse.

Probably of relevance, when I bought the car it would grind going into 2nd. Both upshifts or down, and I would have to double clutch to use second. It was fixed when I had the gearbox syncros replaced shortly after purchase, maybe 2000-3000 miles ago. A trans shop did the full job, with parts from Monkeywrench racing.

More recently, I installed a LETSLA shifter linkage about 1500-1000 miles ago. It seemed to shift well for a good while, until this 6th gear issue developed.

Just today, I messed with the cable adjustments on the shifter. Adjusting the shift cable and the cross cable did not seem to have any effect.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm gonna be really upset if my syncros or something internal to the trans is broken again.

Last edited by Cburke996; 07-31-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:58 PM

It's the dog teeth in the trans. It will need pulled to replace the gears, sorry. It's the easiest thing in the trans to do, but you should probably change everything while you are in there.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Damn...By everything...whats everything? Like I said the syncros are very new.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburke996 View Post
Damn...By everything...whats everything? Like I said the syncros are very new.
Well if you're talking under 10000? miles and no tracking then sure, just have them/you pop off that last case and change what needs done, you can get the lotus gears for about $500 or the toyota gears for $150? Make sure that your shifter is adjusted so that the shifter on the trans can stay where it wants to be when in 6th when you reassemble, make sure there is no "preload".

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:13 AM

interesting topic, I notice my 6th gear doesn't quite "lock-in" either when I shift into it and sometime I had to double check myself to make sure I'm in gear because it doesn't have the "click" feel going into 6th gear, is my gear going bad? or is that normal?

where can I get this "toyota gears" you speak of? is there a diagram or model number you could share with me please?

thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:29 AM

I think the fact that the OP had the linkage apart is a red flag. Before pulling the trans I would be in there looking at how everything is adjusted
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:13 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
I think the fact that the OP had the linkage apart is a red flag. Before pulling the trans I would be in there looking at how everything is adjusted
I agree. Much easier & less expensive to experiment with linkage and cable adjustment as the next step.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM

As I think about it, while it could certainly be serious internal trouble.....

the 2-4-6 gate is pushing, a less efficient cable movement

over in 6 it is bending the shifter cable end a fair bit, making it less efficient than 2 and 4

if something is loose on the trans end, it may exhibit this way, anything from a loose bolt to a bad cable end clip

Prior to putting the letsa[modified] in my car the only real shifting I had was 6th gear, which was, I think, rubbing against the console making it slip into 4th more easily than 6th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in