Rear clam hinge lift struts - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jetblast
  • 1 Post By eldonz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear clam hinge lift struts

Finally, I installed gas lift struts to augment my BOE Fab rear clam hinge, I should have done this years ago when I installed the hinges. I used a strut with just enough force to hold the clam mid-way open, it really makes the hinge feel like a factory piece. Much less force is needed to move the clam; I can open and close it with one hand from either the left or right side of the car; you don't have to open from the rear like you had to do with the stock BOE hinge.

To anchor the chassis side of the struct I fabricated a couple of simple mounts and used an existing hole in the subframe to secure them, I drilled an 8mm hole in the BOE hinge for the clam side mount. The lift struts I added were from Bansbach easylift P/N D3D3-42-150-385--006-220N 6" (150mm) Stroke 15" (385mm) Extended Length Force: 49.40 lbs (220N) (link below)

https://store.easylift.com/clearance...qmoCKUpcsacmp0

Remember, it's a Lotus, each one is different, your mileage may vary...
Attached Images

LostPawn and SS Lotus Elise like this.

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:50 AM

Thanks for sharing the drawings and everything, that looks very useful!

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 AM

Nice!

I'd love to be able to get at the engine so easily.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:21 AM

Fantastic!

Two questions. First, why did you only use one strut and not put a strut on both sides? Two, how close are they getting to the exhaust? These struts do not like heat and I'm wondering that track use may get them too warm.

Great Job,
Eldon
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
Fantastic!

Two questions. First, why did you only use one strut and not put a strut on both sides? Two, how close are they getting to the exhaust? These struts do not like heat and I'm wondering that track use may get them too warm.

Great Job,
Eldon
Eldon, I did use two struts (one on each side), I only posted pictures of one of them, sorry about the confusion. The lift struts are rated to 80C (176F) so they're fairly robust, to address the heat I'm using a heat shield on the left side lift strut to shield it from the 180 degree bend in the exhaust, I think the right side is far enough away to stay cool. I'm fabricating the heat shield today so I'll post pictures later. I've removed most of the factory heat shield from around the exhaust and I'm using a custom rear valance panel that allows more airflow; things stay pretty cool back there as it is.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Some pictures would be great. On my Exige, I do not have that hole unless you drilled yours out. Also, the Exige clam weights a little more than the Elise clam so I'm wondering how close the strength of the rods are.

Also, where in Iowa do you live? I grew up in Cedar Rapids and went to school at ISU even though I'm a Hawkeye fan!

Later,
Eldon
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 AM

THIS!!
My vote for MOD of the year!!

Could you post a couple of closeups of the install mounts for the strut?
Thx

Stay Tuned.....

Last edited by evansp60; 06-13-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:36 AM

Very nice! Good to see you back at it Jetblast.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Love to see video of it opening/closing. Kudos!

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmutant View Post
Very nice! Good to see you back at it Jetblast.
Thanks man, it's great to have time to work on it again. I'm hoping to have it driving again soon as time and budget allow.

2005 Ardent Red Elise, Gut Sport wing & splitter, custom diffuser, Sector111: DSBrace, gPan3, subStuffy2, Larini Sport muffler, decat pipe, Schroth Racing 5 pts, wheel studs, Team Dynamics 1.2 with Hoosier A6s, Koldflash 200 ECU flash, BOE rear clam hinge, BC Racing single adjustables, Hawk pads, SS Brake Lines, HID lights, custom tail and high mount brake light...and much more...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Some pictures would be great. On my Exige, I do not have that hole unless you drilled yours out. Also, the Exige clam weights a little more than the Elise clam so I'm wondering how close the strength of the rods are.

Also, where in Iowa do you live? I grew up in Cedar Rapids and went to school at ISU even though I'm a Hawkeye fan!

Later,
Eldon
I'm not sure about the weight of the Exige clam, these would still provide quite a boost over not having anything, but they also have plenty of other lift struts with higher force ratings. I"m in central Iowa in the Des Moines metro area, and I'm an ISU grad too!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast View Post
I'm not sure about the weight of the Exige clam, these would still provide quite a boost over not having anything, but they also have plenty of other lift struts with higher force ratings. I"m in central Iowa in the Des Moines metro area, and I'm an ISU grad too!
I ordered a set of what you used. I looked at some others but the force level goes up quite a bit. I'll try these and if I feel I need more, I'll find some.

I use to autocross with DMVR when I was in college and while I was still in the MidWest area. In fact my current region of record is still DMVR.

Take care,
Eldon
Jetblast likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I ordered a set of what you used. I looked at some others but the force level goes up quite a bit. I'll try these and if I feel I need more, I'll find some.

I use to autocross with DMVR when I was in college and while I was still in the MidWest area. In fact my current region of record is still DMVR.

Take care,
Eldon
I'm working on a revised strut mount bracket design to provide a little better clearance to some components and a cleaner aesthetic. when I'm done I'll send you the new bracket design if you want.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast View Post
I'm working on a revised strut mount bracket design to provide a little better clearance to some components and a cleaner aesthetic. when I'm done I'll send you the new bracket design if you want.
Yes, please do that.

Thanks,
Eldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in