A review of the Sonic Fury and the shifter, etc. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

A review of the Sonic Fury and the shifter, etc.

Just had the exhaust installed and took the car out twice so far. It is very quiet compared to the stage 2. The stage 2 sounded amazing but was so loud my ears hurt after a drive and I had to get ear plugs. Shinoo says there is no drone and I generally agree. At around 80 km/h I can hear the exhaust sound but its not very loud and at 100 and 120 it seems quieter but this is likely that now I can hear the wind tire noise, with the stage 2 all I heard was drone at normal speeds.
Hammering it sounds nice but again its not crazy loud and so far I am quite pleased. Also I think it looks pretty cool.

I've had the shifter with the new cables installed for a few months now. My cars originall shifter generally sucked. This shifter is at least fun, its very sturdy and feels good to shift. I run it without the cover and it also looks very cool.

My car is a 2006 Elise with a factory sc. So far I've added the exhaust, shifter, re71rs, penske shocks and the boe toe links. The shocks are amazing and initially I didn't like the re71s but once I had an alignment done they turned out to be awesome.
I hope I'm almost done modding it now.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:47 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
I hope I'm almost done modding it now.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the review. Would appreciate it if you elaborate more on the shifter. It's a relatively costly mod for a an issue that has plagued the car.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok anything specific about the shifter?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:00 PM

This thread needs video
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 PM

Garage
stock stage 2 was too loud?! you have good hearing!
TachItUp likes this.

Last edited by acslater; 10-02-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: edited to clarify tone
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM

I have a stage 2. I still want louder
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Louder eh. I wanted quieter, i don't want to irritate all the country folk that live on the nice twisty roads. They can complain and add speed bumps. Isn't a stage 3 louder?

So I just went for a drive with the soft top on. Without the stage 2 I can hear how loud the car is now, such a big difference and my ears don't hurt.
I'm not sure what to say about the shifter other then if you have a specific question. I'm very glad I got it and I like it more every time I drive the car. I think its almost close to the shifting feel of my Mazda 5 which I like very much and also has a cable stick. Definitely makes the car more fun for me.

It definitely is not cheap. I think total cost was about 4k and thats Canadian. If you can install it yourself its not as much but I had a garage do it. They said it wasn't hard but not a snap.

Last edited by xianzai; 10-02-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Louder eh. I wanted quieter, i don't want to irritate all the country folk that live on the nice twisty roads. They can complain and add speed bumps. Isn't a stage 3 louder?

So I just went for a drive with the soft top on. Without the stage 2 I can hear how loud the car is now, such a big difference and my ears don't hurt.
I'm not sure what to say about the shifter other then if you have a specific question. I'm very glad I got it and I like it more every time I drive the car. I think its almost close to the shifting feel of my Mazda 5 which I like very much and also has a cable stick. Definitely makes the car more fun for me.

It definitely is not cheap. I think total cost was about 4k and thats Canadian. If you can install it yourself its not as much but I had a garage do it. They said it wasn't hard but not a snap.
you paid CAD 4,000 for the shifter, transcables and labor? How many labor hours did they charge you? Because it sounds like you got ripped off...

Just doing the math here with CADUSD at 0.80:
shiftR111 = $999 > CAD 1248
transcables = $630 > CAD 787
install time from Sector111 is 4-5 hours

Last edited by acslater; 10-02-2017 at 06:32 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Nein Kinder

Maybe his total included the exhaust.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm a little conflicted as to whether or not to actually go ahead and do it myself because it seems like it's impossible to pinpoint the reason for the sloppy stock shifter. Some people say they're happy with just the cables..some say just the LETSLA helped a ton....some say both. Others say the shifter alone solved the issue. Some people even point to stiffer mounts. You get what I'm saying.

I guess you pretty much answered it...but I was gonna ask that if you had to do it again...would you buy it again? Did you install it with the cables or any other combination of things?

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

It wasn't with the exhaust and it might have been 2500 - 3k as I had a few other things installed I forgot about. It wasn't 4 - 5 hours to install, it was more. The guys doing the install are good guys but they are learning how to play with a Lotus mostly from me.

Initially it went in without the new cables, they didn't have time that day for them. For me I didn't notice much of a difference with the new cables once they were installed, a slight diff but not huge. I got them because I was worried about the stock ones breaking and the car is 11 yrs old.

I would for sure do it again. I drove an Exige before my car and I wasn't impressed with its stick and the stick in my car sucked. I never liked it, it was a bit sloppy and overall wasn't fun at all, it was just there almost as an afterthought on the car.

For me the shifter is fun and thats why I bought this car, I sit at a light and flick it through the gears which I never did with the stock, it makes the car better for me.

I recommend you try one somehow if your not sure. There is another member here zoombyu and I tried his Exige, he did the washer mod I think, it was not bad I was surprised but when he tried my car he said mine was much better but he only drove it a bit. I might meet up with him soon and perhaps he can offer his feedback as well.

I'd be curious to hear what other guys think. I've read some other reviews and they are generally positive.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'd be curious to hear what other guys think. I've read some other reviews and they are generally positive.
I don't think anyone has gotten the new shifter and been like "meh, it's OK...I guess."

Everyone agrees that it's vast improvement over stock.

I think the biggest question is...is it worth the $$$?

This isn't a $300 mod that installs in about an hour. It's a big job, with a big price tag.

It's a big expense. And I don't consider it an "investment" - the car won't be worth $3K more with the new shifter installed.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
It's a big expense. And I don't consider it an "investment" - the car won't be worth $3K more with the new shifter installed.
Most mods don't pay off when you go to resell a car.

How a sportscar feels when driving is important to most buyers. The feeling you get from the acceleration, steering, brakes, the sound and shifter are all key attributes for many. The shiftr111 is something that makes rowing through gears far more enjoyable. If you prize shifting, then our kit is worth the expense.

Lotus have continued to improve their OE shifter for this reason. The latest OE shifter appears to be an improvement over the blue-ball versions which felt much better than the ones fitted in the '04-'07ish cars...

The shiftR111 may pay-off when you go to sell the car as your potential Buyers won't complain about the shifting action...

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I made a video of the shifter, this is just after I started the car.

Habious or anyone, to me this mod is worth it simply because it makes the car more fun. Is it worth it as much as the penskes I don't know but its in the ballpark for sure.

I'm liking the exhaust more and more, had a nice ride today and my ears don't hurt. My daughter commented how my car doesn't sound like its farting all the time anymore.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I made a video of the shifter, this is just after I started the car.

https://youtu.be/8WXd0ZzCG5U

Habious or anyone, to me this mod is worth it simply because it makes the car more fun. Is it worth it as much as the penskes I don't know but its in the ballpark for sure.

I'm liking the exhaust more and more, had a nice ride today and my ears don't hurt. My daughter commented how my car doesn't sound like its farting all the time anymore.
Thanks for the video.

One thing that bothers me about my stock shifter, is that while the car is in gear...there's a lot of left and right play in the shifter. I'm not sure if that's fixable with this shifter. Do you still have that much play?

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Thx for making the video. LOL, it is hard to get a 4 banger to sound good. I'm glad you and especially, your daughter like it! My daughters always say that they can tell when I am coming home as they can hear me coming but the sonicFURY allows me to sneak in - when I want to...

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
...One thing that bothers me about my stock shifter, is that while the car is in gear...there's a lot of left and right play in the shifter. I'm not sure if that's fixable with this shifter. Do you still have that much play?
There is still some play coming from the trans/linkage/cables. Our kit does reduce the play noticeably.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I made a video of the shifter in gear and moving it around.

You can see there is some play, never really bothered me much but likely its adjustable, I don't know how to do it. Shinoo will likely comment on it. I don't think mine is perfectly adjusted yet, haven't gotten around to fine tuning it. I'm thinking of adding motor mount inserts to see what that does.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I made a video of the shifter in gear and moving it around.

https://youtu.be/FwIh4Z0TpkM

You can see there is some play, never really bothered me much but likely its adjustable, I don't know how to do it. Shinoo will likely comment on it. I don't think mine is perfectly adjusted yet, haven't gotten around to fine tuning it. I'm thinking of adding motor mount inserts to see what that does.
Thanks again for the upload. I think I get the same amount of play in my stock 2007 shifter.

With my stock shifter, I've missed a few 2nd-3rd/3rd-2nd...or 4th-5th/5th-4th shifts. In my mind, that side to side play contributed to some of the slopiness. I'm sure there's some driver error there too.

It's just disappointing when everything else in the car feels so natural...but I have to put extra focus and thought into the shifting. And I'm new to track driving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in