A review of the Sonic Fury and the shifter, etc. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 PM

That play shown in this video isn't in the shifter though. It's in the cable routing and in the transmission end shifter. You can get rid of some of it with the letsla (but be sure it's adjusted right or you might damage some synchros (ask how I know). And with restricting the shift cable movement along it's path.

No shifter can really eliminate this play unless it was gated, the shifter moves to any point within its range of motion, it is just limited by the cables and how well those cables are tied to the transmission by the rear linkage.
[email protected] likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

My mazda 5 has about the same amount of play. In the Elise the play doesn't effect much, the shifter feels very solid, it doesn't wander around when you move from gear to gear, its very easy and feels good.
Went for another drive tonight, really liking the exhaust so far. Sounds good, not too loud.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Garage
Just had the shiftr111 installed along with transcables and the Letsla. Drove it home and on the track the next day and it feels so much better. Solid shifts and feel. How it should have been to start with.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Any chance you can do a video with the new setup SS Lotus Elise?
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
Any chance you can do a video with the new setup SS Lotus Elise?
I don't have a video that shows the inside of the car while on the track. There are other videos of people shifting the shiftr111, but they don't convey how much better the feel is. Too subjective as to if it is worth it. My times did not go down, but that could be due to different weather at the track. The shifting did feel better and made it more enjoyable. Worth the +/- $2K (shiftr111, cables, Letsla, adapter) + labor? For me, yes. The stock shifter was always a disappointment compared to the rest of the car.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
That play shown in this video isn't in the shifter though. It's in the cable routing and in the transmission end shifter. You can get rid of some of it with the letsla (but be sure it's adjusted right or you might damage some synchros (ask how I know). And with restricting the shift cable movement along it's path.

No shifter can really eliminate this play unless it was gated, the shifter moves to any point within its range of motion, it is just limited by the cables and how well those cables are tied to the transmission by the rear linkage.
I agree it's not in the shifter. I installed the upgraded cables and the LETSLA at the same time that I installed the ShiftR111, and it looks to me like at least 90% of the remaining play at the shifter is due to play in the internal shift mechanism of the transmission.

If anyone wants to see for themselves, watch the LETSLA (or stock) shift mechanism above the transmission while someone wiggles the stick, you'll see that virtually all the wiggle gets translated to the transmission internal shift mechanism. I did this while I had the rear clam off and it's easy to see, otherwise you need a mirror and lights (not so easy). Alternatively, with the car on a lift or jack stands, have someone grasp and hold the counter-weighted shift mechanism at the transmission (easy to reach from below, with the engine pan off) and try to wiggle the shifter.

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in