6Likes
  • 2 Post By RichardNHCooper
  • 1 Post By RapidLotus
  • 1 Post By oldmansan
  • 2 Post By fzust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Rod/piston removal through the bottom?

Has anyone actually managed this procedure?
I'm thinking of changing the bearings and possibly rods after each track season by removing the oil pan etc and without having to remove the engine.
I tried "gently" pulling the stock hardware having removed the motor but it seemed like the piston heads were getting stuck. I know that the squirters need to be removed...

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDRuM View Post
Has anyone actually managed this procedure?
I'm thinking of changing the bearings and possibly rods after each track season by removing the oil pan etc and without having to remove the engine.
I tried "gently" pulling the stock hardware having removed the motor but it seemed like the piston heads were getting stuck. I know that the squirters need to be removed...

Not possible. I have removed the pistons and rods without removing the engine but they have to be taken out the top after removing the cylinder head.
Jim-C and ReDRuM like this.

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:14 AM

Garage
Wow, interesting concept but I don't see how it would work. You would need to remove the crankshaft to get the pistons out and then I don't see how you would use ring compressors from the bottom to get pistons back in. That is assuming you can get pistons/rings past any ridge formed at the bottom of the cylinder wall. Nah, not gonna work... Open for criticism on my assessment but I'd say no....
ReDRuM likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Dang it . ok . Thanks guys.
Well for the "next" time , at least the engine will remain in situ ( so long as the shortblock is intact. Current one isn't so happy. )
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Dang it . ok . Thanks guys.
Well for the "next" time , at least the engine will remain in situ ( so long as the shortblock is intact. Current one isn't so happy. )
Sorry to hear... Make a repair thread and post pictures. It is always good to see how others attempt these jobs!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Here's a couple of tips/cheats :

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I used two Allen keys sticking through the water pump pulley. The tips jam up against a couple of obstacles , then I can wrench the 4 bolts which allow easy access to the rest of the bolts underneath

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Here's how I remove the crank pulley ( below ) .
I use old old flywheel bolts then place a pry bar between them , then use a breaker bar at the opposite end to wrench off the crank pulley bolt . Pushing obviously in opposite directions .

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Oh and here's a spot the odd one out picture

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Oh and here's a spot the odd one out picture

Ouch! Yea, time for the engine to come out....

Central Florida
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Yup, it's out . Seeing what's salvageable. Rebuild underway.
Im thinking stroker on E85 with 465whp and 400+ torque is not doable with the MWR bearings. Probably too much torque. The rods were heavy duty Pauter. Bearing shredded, rod bolt gave out.
Back to the drawing board ...

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Garage
Humm, not enough oil flow or interrupted oil flow maybe? What oil supply upgrades had you done? Just curious, I'm not racing but always like to delve into failure reports....

Central Florida
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:11 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Yup, it's out . Seeing what's salvageable. Rebuild underway.
Im thinking stroker on E85 with 465whp and 400+ torque is not doable with the MWR bearings. Probably too much torque. The rods were heavy duty Pauter. Bearing shredded, rod bolt gave out.
Back to the drawing board ...

Sorry to see the carnage. Any thoughts about a better bearing, or was it just unrealistic HP/TQ in your opinion?

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I am switching to ACL bearings. However, I'm also not going to aim so high. It sucks not being at the track even though at that power level the car was absolutely incredible. I was able to catch all the super cars and hadn't even switched to my slicks. GB is e153 with Kaaz close ratio gears and LSD which helped me pull out of corners and push throughout the rpm too.

But I reckon torque kills the bearings ... I do recall reading about a supercharged + turbocharged Elise down in Vegas. It too had high torque of course , and the chap eventually gave in since the 4 banger was chewing up bearings too fast. I think this would be less of an issue on a 6 cylinder as the load is distributed or at least supported with less effort with by the next journal on the crank shaft.

I could be talking bollocks though ... I'm not an engineer .

I'm unlikely to go with another stroker set up . The cost is too high to replace went ****e happens. It was fun though... My 2 bits.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

It terms of oil flow ... Just billet oil pump gears , gpan3 . I guess at some point I'll get dry sump system.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 PM
The Enforcer

Thanks for the additional information. Please keep us apprised of your plans/implementation.

San
ReDRuM likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:40 AM
Elise Guru

Gotta drop RPM with the stroker. Additionally, I believe the rod bearings are smaller as the journals are smaller on the stroker crank. One pro-tip, courtesy of James Clayton. Drill a hole in the valve cover right over the bolt that holds the chain guide on the intake side of the head. That is the only bolt inside the valve cover that ties the head to the block. Plug with 3/8" brass threaded plug. When you want to take the head off you no longer have to take off the timing cover which is a huge PITA. Take that plug out, remove the bolt, and a couple of easy to access bolts on the timing cover into the head and you can pull it right off in-situ.
ReDRuM and steelypip like this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

That's a great tip . Thank you Sir . I was thinking of cutting the timing cover ( like I had when playing with MR2 3SGTE years back - plastic cover though).

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

The rpm was limited to 8500 .
It was the MWR stroker kit with which I used stock sized MWR bearings throughout. I had only just started to hammer on the motor when it went popped and bled out on the track. I know it could possibly the multiple things including a freak metal issue somewhere or even the ARP rod bolt not torqued properly ( you can never say never ).
I have discovered that the two exhaust valves are no longer centered/seated flat- by about 1mm off center. Slight damaged to the top of the piston...

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
The rpm was limited to 8500 .
It was the MWR stroker kit with which I used stock sized MWR bearings throughout. I had only just started to hammer on the motor when it went popped and bled out on the track. I know it could possibly the multiple things including a freak metal issue somewhere or even the ARP rod bolt not torqued properly ( you can never say never ).
I have discovered that the two exhaust valves are no longer centered/seated flat- by about 1mm off center. Slight damaged to the top of the piston...

I don't know enough about it to say what RPM would be good. I was thinking rod journals were smaller diameter vs 2zz, but can't recall.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in