LarryB and I checked out the silver S2 at Boardwalk Lotus today. What a beautiful car! It looks great in pictures, but even better in real life. We weren't able to take it for a drive as the car hadn't been inspected by their mechanic yet (fresh off the truck) and there are liability issues, but were able to poke around and learn a little. It was an S2, so seeing the car didn't yield any new insight, but talking to the guy there did help answer some questions about the US-spec model.
- The trunk is quite large, really. However, the taillights aren't protected against shifting objects.
- The US car will have a front bumper. The top forward lip of the current nose will come forward a bit, and possibly up, to provide the 2.5mph impact requirement. no word about how the rear would be dealt with.
- Price will be about $39k (though Boardwalk is adding a markup to that).
- Power windows and locks will be optional.
- The front headlights MAY be different for the US. This is a design detail that has not yet been resolved within Lotus. I for one hope they don't touch them!
- The dashboard will not be alcantara-covered, though the car may be able to be ordered that way nonetheless (if your dealer has a good relationship with Lotus, which the Boardwalk dealer claimed to). Likewise, no alcantara for the seats.
- Engine - still keeping quiet about this, but yet another assurance that we will absolutely love it, and that it's very reliable. I have a hard time seeing how so many insiders could describe the Celica GTS' powerplant as one we'd absolutely love, when it's so peaky.
- Wheels will be the same as on the 111s (see pictures).
- Dashboard will be entirely different.
- Hardtop will be $1.5k
Of course, some of this information may be just rumors, you never know. The source sounded credible though.
The car will be shown at the Palo Alto Concours on Sunday, and should remain at Boardwalk Lotus through next weekend.
Click here to see some pictures.