Seatbelt D Loop cover detached - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glen
  • 1 Post By driftwood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Seatbelt D Loop cover detached

I'm attaching a photo of this piece which keeps falling off from the top portion only (the bottom is well secured). Anyone else encounter this or know the best way to fix it? Everyvtime I push in the top to close the cover it falls back out within 10 seconds or so. Thanks in advance.

See attached photo.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 AM

One of mine is missing, no doubt for the same reason

It appears that the push fastener is only gripping in the foam, so somehow one needs to give it better purchase on the foam

I haven't figured it out yet
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:46 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Mine fell off years ago - I just removed them, cleaned/taped off the area and painted the entire assembly satin black.

I don't even notice it anymore.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Nein Kinder

@phish - The cover on my 2011 Elise suffered from this when I first purchased the vehicle. The original cover has an integral backplate that goes behind the seatbelt tab connected to the outer cover by a very thin “hinge” at the top. It then relies on a clip below to stay in place. The hinge is where the one-piece part is simply folded back on itself. The hinge has some springiness and tries to open the part back up, but it is also brittle after several open/close cycles and prone to breaking. If you look very closely at your part, I’ll guess it is similar to (or the same as) mine and you will be able to detect the broken hinge. Without the hinge, the clips on the cover are probably not enough to keep it in place.

To affix your part, I’d experiment with double-stick tape between the cover and the bolt head it hides.

Glen
3carmonte likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Mine looked like yours.

I glued it but that only held for a year or so.

One of the LT members mentioned using caulking so I've now done that and I think that it is holding really well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
@phish - The cover on my 2011 Elise suffered from this when I first purchased the vehicle. The original cover has an integral backplate that goes behind the seatbelt tab connected to the outer cover by a very thin “hinge” at the top. It then relies on a clip below to stay in place. The hinge is where the one-piece part is simply folded back on itself. The hinge has some springiness and tries to open the part back up, but it is also brittle after several open/close cycles and prone to breaking. If you look very closely at your part, I’ll guess it is similar to (or the same as) mine and you will be able to detect the broken hinge. Without the hinge, the clips on the cover are probably not enough to keep it in place.

To affix your part, I’d experiment with double-stick tape between the cover and the bolt head it hides.

Glen
My drivers belt cover recently popped open and the hinge broke. I cut matching Velcro pieces and put/stuck the hook round I cut inside the clip area and the matching loop on the flush belt hanger bolt. It stays fine and I can remove and replace it too. I stopped thinking when it first happened but necessity is a mother!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
Mine fell off years ago - I just removed them, cleaned/taped off the area and painted the entire assembly satin black.

I don't even notice it anymore.
i did this too but without painting them... didn't care enough at the time

just another weight reduction
darkSol likes this.

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in