LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Lotus Elise (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   side skirts options (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/side-skirts-options-180418/)

Kamsden 10-07-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKFEVER (Post 2525450)
Not yet, is is based on the current Exige version.

If they look like the ones on the Exige put me down for a set, these are the best ones I have found. I'm glad I've waited. They look stock to me, most look like an add on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

rp_guy 10-07-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKFEVER (Post 2525426)
My Elise Side Skirt will be ready in 45 day :rolleyes:

Charles,

Will you have a group buy for elise/exige or only for elise when it is released?

I am still interested in the exige version but I can wait for it to be a group buy.

rosscarlson 10-07-2013 01:56 PM

I went with the Sector111 RaceSILLS (the IMRP ones) because they seemed to be the most livable in terms of being able to put the car up on jack stands / change tires without having to remove the sills. With the IMRP ones I can just place my hockey puck on the sill where it would go and lift right with the sill in place. That ruled out all the carbon ones as I don't think any of those would hold up without cracking/shattering. The IMRPs are also one of the biggest (widest) available so I feel like they most likely add the most downforce of any of the options.

You should have a mod sticky this once you've figure out all the options (update your original post with links, prices, etc).

impulsiv 10-07-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosscarlson (Post 2527602)
I went with the Sector111 RaceSILLS (the IMRP ones) because they seemed to be the most livable in terms of being able to put the car up on jack stands / change tires without having to remove the sills. With the IMRP ones I can just place my hockey puck on the sill where it would go and lift right with the sill in place. That ruled out all the carbon ones as I don't think any of those would hold up without cracking/shattering. The IMRPs are also one of the biggest (widest) available so I feel like they most likely add the most downforce of any of the options.

You should have a mod sticky this once you've figure out all the options (update your original post with links, prices, etc).

Done. I did not put the prices, they can vary.

I don't like the racesills, they are too straight, I don't think they matches the car's general design. But that's just my opinion.

Almighty 10-07-2013 04:19 PM

Does anyone know how functional any of these sills are? I can't be the only one who would prefer the pair that gives some kind of aerodynamic advantage.

rosscarlson 10-07-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impulsiv (Post 2527922)
Done. I did not put the prices, they can vary.

I don't like the racesills, they are too straight, I don't think they matches the car's general design. But that's just my opinion.

That's perfect - thanks. I just PMed Aedo to see if he'll stick this. Someone (I'm willing) should write up a guide for the rest of the aero bits then great a aero uber-thread.

I can't argue with you that much on the IMRPs and how the look - some of the ones that are curved with the body do maintain the overall fluid look/design of the Elige. That said bigger is, of course, always better so when my eye sees the IMRPs it prefers them because they are bigger and IMHO more aggressive. All that = better to me :)

Quote:

Does anyone know how functional any of these sills are? I can't be the only one who would prefer the pair that gives some kind of aerodynamic advantage.
While there's certain no head-to-head testing (at least not that I've seen) I think Reverie has done the most comprehensive aero testing for our cars. That said since you can't get specific data you'd have to go with what, on paper, would be better - and I think I'm safe in saying that the IMRPs are the best for aero since they are much wider than all the others. The concept for skirts as I understand it is it makes the low pressure area under the car MUCH wider (as in 16" total width) at what is the narrowest part of the car (right where her hips are)

That and my afore mentioned reason about being able to lift the car with the skirts in place and the IMRPs were an easy choice for me.

-Ross

Certified Lotus 10-08-2013 03:03 AM

787 Attachment(s)
Wait for HK Fever's CF Skirts. He makes the best CF products on the market for Lotus cars. I have a number of his CF pieces and they are like jewelry, very well made and finished to a high degree.

Couple of shots of my Exige S with his side skirts (phone camera, not the best resolution).

Want to know the performance of aero on the track? See the video of a friend of mine (who races Porsche GTC3 class) who I let drive my Exige S at a track day. At the end he makes a little comment about the handling of my car.

GR82DRV 10-08-2013 02:46 PM

HK's Exige skirts look great. Hopefully the Elise skirts look as good.

Do the Exige skirts help to keep debris off the Lower panels?

I have no illusions that any skirts will have significant aero effect at anything but very high speeds anyway.

rosscarlson 10-08-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Do the Exige skirts help to keep debris off the Lower panels?
My unscientific data says YES. And not just a little - even on my black car my sills would get chewed to pieces (so much so that I have them wrapped in black vinyl over the black paint). Now with the sills not so much...

Kengine 10-08-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKFEVER (Post 2525426)
My Elise Side Skirt will be ready in 45 day :rolleyes:

VERY interested! I've been waiting ages for this!

mattjk 01-31-2014 01:19 PM

HKFEVER 01-31-2014 05:39 PM

909 Attachment(s)
Damn, they look very mean :) Loving it.

mattjk 02-01-2014 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The front part looks hideous, but at least there is a factory option now...

When is yours going to be done, hkfever?

Attachment 344601

9and3 04-20-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impulsiv (Post 2526434)
Cantrell's are not available anymore, there is nothing on them on their website...

I have a set for sale: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...skirts-157650/ Make an offer.

Leebenstein 05-07-2014 10:10 PM

Trueleo!

GR82DRV 05-08-2014 03:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my version of option #8 in the OP. These are custom cut for the Elise from .090 aluminum. Turned out great. The total cost was about $150.

LotusManDan 07-22-2014 08:53 PM

What was used to cut them ?

BOPHACK 01-17-2015 01:13 PM

I want the new Elise Cup R sill skirts and front splitter for my 05!!!!! I think they look perfect for the car!

lotus90 01-17-2015 07:00 PM

The Elise r front splitter will not fit 05 Elise. The side skirts will fit and I too would like to get them

rosscarlson 01-17-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR82DRV (Post 3123002)
Here's my version of option #8 in the OP. These are custom cut for the Elise from .090 aluminum. Turned out great. The total cost was about $150.

I agree they look great and look far easier to get in and out of the car as they are much (seemingly) narrower than mine. I wonder how much that affects aero though as I wonder how much wider the bottom of my car is vs. yours. While I'd guess we could be talking as much as 6-8" I honestly can't imagine that makes a huge difference in terms of down force.

Anyone smarter than me care to chime in? As I understand the skirts are the biggest aero mod you can do since it makes the footprint of the car over 12" wider in total. Again not sure if that's just me justifying the higher cost and PITA factor that mine add. Either way GR8DRV I do think those look great, especially given you made them yourself. :clap: