Silvering on high beams - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Silvering on high beams

The silver on my high beams is almost non-existent. It was cracked and crazed on one, so I tried to replate it with silver with a Caswell kit I had. It only made it worse. As far as I can see, the only replacement is the whole assembly, which is mega bucks. Any suggestions?
And no, paint (even really shiny paint) doesn't work. You need the reflectivity of silver. If there's a shop that repairs this, I can't find them. Maybe there's a part number for just the shiny part? Or maybe somebody has some of the headlight innards they'd be willing to part with? Looking for ideas. The 2005 headlights suck as it is. This isn't helping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Garage
Please provide pictures. Is it the entire reflector or only on the bottom where water sometimes sits?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

It's mainly the bottom area.
Attached Images

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Maybe some chrome wrap? Just around the outside?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:58 PM

I had Alfa Romeo reflectors redone at 10years ago in Dallas. Contact an auto restorer, they can help located a shop to do it. Or maybe a place that restores mirror glass.
They are far and few between because of the chemicals and new laws restricting them. You may need to send them away. It was not that expensive back then. The other option ia Bi-Xenon kit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofusric View Post
I had Alfa Romeo reflectors redone at 10years ago in Dallas. Contact an auto restorer, they can help located a shop to do it. Or maybe a place that restores mirror glass.
They are far and few between because of the chemicals and new laws restricting them. You may need to send them away. It was not that expensive back then. The other option ia Bi-Xenon kit.
The HID kits wouldn't replace this, would they? I assumed they were just bulbs and the low beam projector. If that would do it, I'm in. I'd like to switch to brighter lights anyway.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 AM

As long as you purchase a projector HID kit, rather than a bulb kit you will get a new housing. I purchased the LumosHID kit from what is now Inokinetic and it provides superb lighting.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
As long as you purchase a projector HID kit, rather than a bulb kit you will get a new housing. I purchased the LumosHID kit from what is now Inokinetic and it provides superb lighting.
Just to be 100% sure, I'm talking about the high beam (the lower bulb). In the picture on their site, it looks like the top projector is in there (low beam), but I don't see a replacement for the part I need. Am I missing it or looking at the wrong kit, maybe??
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:04 AM

This kit is bi-xenon, the projectors flip from low to high beam, so one projector provides both light functions. Your old high beam will still be functional but drowned out by the new light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in