Snobbery? E-"pimping" and other Friday musings... - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
LOL

I wouldn't want to get into a habit of letting those two "nuns" on my hood.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 02:10 PM

more pics from the SELOC day out (london to brighton charity run) can be found here.

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=6416&page=1
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 02:23 PM

Cool pictures, Craigy. Thanks. Most Brits seem to have a quirky sense of humor, at least compared to what most Americans find humorous, but I think it's interesting to interact and revel in our differences. In my experience, English women tend to be more down to earth and less pretentious than the average American woman. Unfortunately, Americans tend to take themselves too seriously and have this incredible fear of looking foolish.

Obviously, it much easier to project a certain image when you can hide behind the anonymity of the Internet. But most women can spot the bs in person and won't put up with it anyway.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Very cool pics, I hope we can set up some fun runs here in the US.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:05 AM

Fun runs would be nice, But you can't make me wear a nun's costume, I have to draw the line somewhere.

Would consider a Liza Minelli look in a scrumptious black sequin thingy however, conditions permitting!
Chris
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:18 AM

The unscrupulous would point out that with 150 cars, the local police can't catch *everyone* so you can pretty much drive as you see fit.

Not that I'm condoning speeding or anything, oh no....

Craigy
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:14 PM

In California, top posted speed is 65 mph on some freeways. However, it's not uncommon to cruise at 75-80 without much risk. There are some long straight stretches on the highway to Las Vegas where it's easy to hit 90-100. However, this is a good way to get a ticket, since the highway patrol uses spotter planes out in the desert to catch speeders and there is no way that you can see them.

I'm sure that we have all heard the stories about no speed limits on the German autobahn. What can you get away with in England?
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:15 PM

I saw a few 70mph limits in Southern california last week...

In England, the A-roads (typically two lanes in each direction separated by metal or wire crashbarriers with a safety "hard shoulder" lane on the outside) and Motorways (same thing but typically with more lanes each way and no right of access to slow moving things) the limits are in each case 70mph for cars.

The UK's 70mph limit was established in the late 1960's and hasn't budged since, despite engineering advances for everything concerned (roads, vehicles, drivers...). It was principally brought in because companies like Jaguar were routinely testing prototypes at 150mph on the public road, which I guess isn't the smartest thing in the world.

Most people (ie >80% of the cars here) travel at about 80 to 90mph on motorways. Of course everyone slows down to go past speed cameras and police cars. Truckers in the UK have a meter which is sealed inside the cab by an inspector and that limits them to exactly 60mph, which is what all trucks in the UK do pretty much no matter what the real speed limit is (ie. if the road says 50mph limit, they'll normally be doing 60).

If you get caught speeding there's a range of things that can happen. The typical 10 or 15mph over the 70 is a fining matter (the fixed penalty for this type of offence is 60, which is about US$100) plus 3 points (you start out with 0 and can have up to 11 points without losing your license). Conversely, 10 or 15 mph over a 30mph limit would likely result in a ban. Points cost money because the insurance companies are privy to them and they will see you as a bigger risk and raise the cost of your policy so in effect you get fined for the next 5 yeasr by your insurer on top of the on-the-spot fine.

Dangerous driving carries higher penalties (and is recognised differently in the law); in the result of injury to another person caused by recklessness you can of course go to jail, etc etc etc. This also applies where extreme speed has been recorded (over 100mph).

For a typical speeder, if you go over 100mph, you ought to expect to lose your license. I think the record on a public road in the UK is about 156mph (http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/2/hi/uk_ne...nd/2973149.stm) - ironically this guy shares my surname (I'm pretty sure we're not closely related though!).

I know that some people have gone faster - for example a couple of car journalists have said things about maxing ferraris and lambos on the public road (so we're talking 190mph).

Fastest I've ever been in a car on a public road?
About 160mph in Belgium, in a 911. I was a passenger.
Fastest passenger ride in the UK was probably about 140mph in an M5 but I couldn't see the speedo at the time, just the little digital readout on the radio.

Fastest I've ever driven?
I'm not saying where, when or what I was driving but it was at night and I did about 125-130 with no-one around. I'll not be doing it again now that I've satisfied my curiosity!
I did much the same speed on a circuit in a noble M12 GTO and I must say the noble felt much better at that speed.

Craigy
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:51 PM

I was kinda interested so I went looking for more info. I got some here : http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_...eedVSFines.htm

Craigy
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 07:58 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally posted by jml1952
...the highway patrol uses spotter planes out in the desert to catch speeders and there is no way that you can see them.
True, but it's not legal for them to judge your speed based on the time it takes for you to pass mile markers on the road. I'm not sure if there's *any* court-approved way for an airplane to verify your speed in traffic court. About the only thing the planes can do is to radio to a car ahead, but that's really not much different than a highway patrol in an ambush position on an overpass.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:36 AM

Just to run totally contrary to what I was saying, this thread popped up on SELOC. http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=6425

It would appear we *are* all pervs after all!

Craigy
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 07:01 AM

I forgot about the 70 mph freeways, since I rarely see them. Thanks for reminding me, Craigy. Interesting info about European driving speeds and the penalties for speeding. Much the same here of course. I think the amount of your ticket goes up considerably and you get more points if you are ticketed for 25 mph or more above the posted speed limit, plus you are not eligible for traffic school (you still pay the fine, but by spending 8 hours in class, or less if you do it on-line, you can wipe the ticket off your record in terms of points and insurance ramifications).

I'm a wuss. I hit 100 mph with my Miata when it was new many years ago, just to see what it was like, but it felt like the car was going to become airborne from the lift under the front end. I don't really plan to go any faster with the Elise on public roads. But if Lotus offers a driving class and the opportunity came up to open it up on a track or closed course, I might give it a shot. However, I suspect that I am too big a chicken to approach anything like the speeds that you mentioned.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 08:14 AM

Hi All,
Spent a week riding a ducati through the Dolomites in N. Italy early July, now there's a place to ride!!!!! Absolutely no enforcement of any traffic laws regarding motorcycles, don't know how strict they are on cars tho.

Chris
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
LOL, speaking of miatas. Im not a giant drag racer, but since I dabble in high hp "miatae" I'll admit ive been a time or two while in persuit of the record for North Americas quickest and fastest stock motor/turbo Miata....which I attained I may add! 129.5mph on slicks which werent balanced properly....lemme tell you, it was fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in