SonicFury before and after - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By spyderdoc
  • 1 Post By shinoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

SonicFury before and after

I've read a lot of enthusiastic posts about the SonicFury exhaust, but it is hard to separate the emotion and enthusiasm from the facts. One says "the drone is less" but the same person says "it is louder". All of the sound recording devices that we commonly use (phones) do automatic volume control, so it is difficult to hear "louder" with audio or audio/video from phones.

Has anyone taken actual data (sound level measurements) on stock Elise vs SonicFury at various RPM levels? The only thing that bothers me about the Elise is the sound level while driving at 70 at 3,800 RPM...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_bondy View Post
I've read a lot of enthusiastic posts about the SonicFury exhaust, but it is hard to separate the emotion and enthusiasm from the facts. One says "the drone is less" but the same person says "it is louder". All of the sound recording devices that we commonly use (phones) do automatic volume control, so it is difficult to hear "louder" with audio or audio/video from phones.

Has anyone taken actual data (sound level measurements) on stock Elise vs SonicFury at various RPM levels? The only thing that bothers me about the Elise is the sound level while driving at 70 at 3,800 RPM...
I have it on my 2006 Elise. It is LOUD, way louder than the stock exhaust, but does not DRONE. No measurements taken. I like it in that it is loud when stepping into the throttle, and when cruising at speed, it is pretty quiet. I think it is well engineered.
Harix likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

@spyderdoc : thanks. I wish I knew whether a non-drone was louder than stock. To me, any noise that goes on and on and on (as in driving at 75 for an hour) is a drone. Saying it does not drone makes no sense to me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:

We have not taken actual measurements. Sound is very personal but I have listened to dozens of different mufflers on these cars from several manufacturers: QS, Arqray, MS Racing, HKS, Larini, 2Bular, PB Racing, Komo-tec and more. I believe the sonicFURY strikes the right balance. It is quiet when you cruise and then gets progressively louder as the rpms go up. It gets properly sporty when on second cam - especially at full throttle...hence the name.
Harix likes this.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
@spyderdoc : thanks. I wish I knew whether a non-drone was louder than stock. To me, any noise that goes on and on and on (as in driving at 75 for an hour) is a drone. Saying it does not drone makes no sense to me.
Short Answer - If you are looking for an aftermarket exhaust that has a totally stock sound/loudness on the freeway, I think you should just stick with the stock muffler.

Long Answer that may better impact your decision - I have a 2005 Elise since 2006 with a stock exhaust. Then recently this past June got the SonicFury DE. With normal around town driving/engine load, it's going to be LOUDER in general. What I found is when you throttle the engine even a bit (i.e. normal acceleration around town, between 1k and 3.7k rpm, whether babying the throttle or not) the volume of air going through your exhaust it going to produce a deep throaty sound with the SonicFury. But once you hit your driving speed, with no load to the engine (i.e. a steady 3k rpm on a perfectly flat road), its nice and quite. However, this isn't really achievable for a long duration...or at least where I live as I have lots of hills, curvy roads, etc. With these factors, I'm constantly letting off the throttle or giving it a tad bit throttle to maintain lets say a perfect 25 mph around my house. The tad bit of more throttle will create a throaty louder than stock exhaust noise, as expected. Now there is a sweet spot where about 3.7k to 5k of gentle throttle, it's not that loud. I can hear my engine noise more than the exhaust.

So can see where I'm going??? This also applies to freeway driving. If your on a flat part of the freeway where you can maintain lets say 75 mph without needed to play with the throttle ever so slightly, it's quiet and you'll love it. But if your freeways are hilly and you need to throttle it to maintain your speedy (e.g. 75 mph) you'll hear the throaty exhaust note. The throaty exhaust sound going on, off, on, off, is dependent on the amount of throttle you need to give your car to maintain a certain speed. An exhaust with drone, per say, is never quiet. If you're driving 75 mph on a perfectly flat part of a freeway and maintaining the same rpm/steady throttle, the muffler will make a constant somewhat loud throaty sound which eventually drives people crazy.

Couple more items...I put a BOE Rev 400 Supercharger in the car this past August. My guess is that with more airflow through the exhaust now, it's going to make a slightly louder throaty sound as I give throttle. And last week, I drive the Elise on a business trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sacramento (120 mile drive). On the flat parts of Interstate 80 & 50, the level of exhaust noise wasn't bad at all when I needed to ever so slightly accelerate.

Hopefully the info I provided gives you a better idea on what to expect.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

@Nobuyasu : very helpful! Thank you!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 07:37 AM

Or, you can explore other options. The old BOE "silent touch" exhaust was re-packable by the end user. You could add packing to reduce the noise, or go lighter on your packing to get more sound.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
After I SC my 2006 Exige (Rev300), my old Larini SE went from kinda cool loud to abusive and feeling sorry for my neighbors loud. So I did the typical thing and got a ST from the masters at BOE. I hated it. I'm not gonna knock them or the exhaust but the drone was so bad in my car that you could not drive with the windows up on the freeway. The St was bought new, btw.

I'm not paid by Shinoo or Inokinetic but I feel you can't even compare the two. Drone on the Sonic Fury is a 2 out of 10, the ST (not 1/4 stick) could easily get to a 10+ on my Rev300 car. I'll always remember climbing a hill going to a track day. I had to leave it in 4th and needed a break when we got the top. I had no idea drone could get that bad. Even flat driving in 6th gear was shouting at my passenger loud but that uphill section was seriously painful. Now with the SF, its just noisy from all the wind noise and a bit of SC whine but quiet enough to listen to the stereo with the windows up blasting the AC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the SF is the best aftermarket exhaust I've ever had. Maybe even a bit too quiet under 4K of rpm to have a switch thrown and it goes to sport bike loud at 5K to redline. (when my cam switch over happens).

Lastly, here's a good way to put it.. I was coming home from a Lame Auto-x last weekend and I actually drove another hour in traffic and heat to grab my wife a cake from her favorite bakery for her Bday. It wasn't fun, the AC still sucks in my car and holding the clutch isn't fun in traffic but the exhaust drone wasn't even a consideration. She loved the cake btw!!

Ken
06 Exige (now rev300 powered!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in