Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise

Hey Guys,

Just purchased this vehicle, and I'm working through some of the things I need.
Looking for some advice mainly on this front clam and crashbox as they're the big issues.

It looks like I can get a crashbox from the UK for less than 1k shipped, so that was my plan.
And I think it would be cheapest to repair the rear clam, just reinforce it from the back and then sand it down / prime it.

How about the front clam? I don't think repair is even an option, but maybe if there's another broken clam out there I could use that to fix this one. Or just buy a refurbished OEM clam and if so, is this clam worth any money damaged?

If you guys know of anyone with the parts, please let me know. Would like to get this car put back together before the end of the summer.

Front Damage

Up Close

The damage on the back

Other minor damage around the car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

BTW whatever I do, when I address the front clam should I shave the marker lights and the reflectors?
I've seen some good looking cars with the markers shaved.

And I'm thinking that if I change the lens color of the reflectors and add LEDs, that reflector could become my front indicator lights.
post #3 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 AM

The front clam appears to be done. Lotus only recommends repairs where there is a puncture type of damage. This is more extensive than that. WHile I'm sure someone could try and repair it, the long term viability of such a repair would be iffy at best.

post #4 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I figured as much. Is this clam worth anything?
I'm guessing if someone damaged the hood area of their clam, mine would be a perfect fit for them (doubt that's very common) but I've seen damaged clams go for $500+

BTW confirmed shipping from the UK. I can get a new (new to me) crash box for $700 shipped. That seems like the best deal I've seen. Anyone else have other options or ideas?
Kfennell pointed me in the direction of a damaged clam for about $500, but I have yet to hear back on it, and I'm sure it's very damaged, so yet to be seen if it's actually usable.

I'm budgeting about 2-2,500 for a refurbished front clam, but if I can come in under that price point. Obviously thats better.

The aluminum undetray is also damaged but I'll most likely just buy an aftermarket splitter and extend the splitter myself using sheet aluminum. So it's more functional than OEM
post #5 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

I also need to refinish the wheels which will be a few hundred bucks but they'll be a nice satin black

Then the thought is to wrap the car, and I think the safest color, that doesn't look too tacky is white. I was pretty turned off to satin finishes, but this car gave me inspiration:
post #6 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Have a look at my rebuilt thread. It can be done for sure. Just normally not worth the time and effort it takes to fix that kind of damage.

If you do shave the marker lights. I will take them as I have a broken one I'd like to fix.

Jordan.
post #7 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Plug Whisperer

As long as you epoxy instead on the more common polyurethane, these clams fix easily, nicely, and comparable strength to stock....

-Phil
titaniumdave likes this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #8 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Subscribed because I'm going to be doing the same soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 PM

Garage
Yeah I have seen people with talent and time do some pretty amazing repairs, but if you are short on either of those qualities, a replacement clam is the safe play. If it is a labor of love and you don't care how many hours you spend tinkering with it, then you have nothing to lose practicing fiberglass repair with that mess as a starting spot!

post #10 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Plug Whisperer

Just saw the pics... Ed's old car with a REV400 I believe....

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #11 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it's a Rev 400 TVS. I'm very familiar with the blower, but no so much specifically with the BOE setup.
It looks like it has a flashed OEM ECU, which I hope passes MA inspection.
Also can I flash it for an E85 tune and make it switchable? We do have E85 local, and that would help with the high compression/boost.

Found an undamaged used crash box today for reasonable money. Will keep you updated. If shipping is reasonable I'll have them ship it out tomorrow.

but so far the locksmith came today, took a door lock, and is making a key
I bought a new drivers side window from a forum sponsor, and they're shipping it today to get there on Tues. Having that replaced next week so the car will be sealed for transport
I bought the used clam for $500 and the person I bought it from is pulling it this weekend, and shipping it to me next week.
Have a new key fob on order, to arrive next week

And I arranged pickup for the end of next week from San Antonio, meaning that it will probably get here towards the end of the month.
So by the time the car gets here I could possibly have all the parts I need to repair it already on hand.

My goal is to have the car ugly but functional by August. That seems very doable, unless there's major unforeseen issues.
I live on the water in the Boston area, and I've heard boat guys are actually some of the most talented fiberglass guys, so I'm reaching out locally. There's also a big corvette club here in New England, so reaching out to those guys as well. Don't think I want to learn fiberglass on a lotus, and getting it back on the road sooner rather than later, has a value to me. Our convertible season is pretty short around here so I want to enjoy it as much as possible.
post #12 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

New (well not really new) front clam: It was $500. How much do you think it'll take to make it right?

post #13 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
New (well not really new) front clam: It was $500. How much do you think it'll take to make it right?

I do body work and that's at least 20 hours for me with repair and paint. Super saveable though, I would love a clam in that shape for 500

post #14 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

How much would you charge just to repair it? I'm planning on wrapping the car so I'l going to finish the surface a bit more before putting the wrap on.
post #15 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
How much would you charge just to repair it? I'm planning on wrapping the car so I'l going to finish the surface a bit more before putting the wrap on.

At least 1000 bucks with repair and paint

post #16 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

If I can get it done under 1500 I'll consider it a win. So good to hear that I'm not crazy
post #17 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
If I can get it done under 1500 I'll consider it a win. So good to hear that I'm not crazy

A small body shop might, no insurance place will though I can tell you that.

post #18 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Found and ordered a used crash structure today, should be here next week. This one hasn't been repaired thankfully, and it was located in a wrecking yard not too far away, in Ohio.
It did get a bit bitched up in the removal process but the structure looks good.

I got it for 1k shipped:
post #19 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 08:33 PM

Garage
If you shave the turn signals when repairing the clam you'll save yourself a few hundred dollars as those turn signals are now about $250 each. (Not sure if both of yours are broken or just one.)

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #20 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Just one is broken.
I'm a bit worried about resale value of the car with the shaved turn signals. I like the look and I plan to modify the car even further, but I'm not sure if that would lower it's value in the future.
I just got a difflow diffuser, so the race car parts have already started.

I need to figure out how if I'll be able to get in my driveway.

I also went to a shop that specializes in what they call liquid wraps. Thats basically fancy talk for new age plastidip, thats sprayed like traditional paint. I wanted to see this in person because early plastidip looked like compete textured garbage. But I can tell you 100% honestly that the 2 cars I saw looked like OEM paint jobs, I was impressed. So I think I'm going to get an HVLP hang some plastic in the garage to make a homemade paint booth and rent a compressor and plasti dip the car to get me by for the next couple years.
Racer_X likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in