Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise - Page 10 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 220 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
If you know him well, it would be great to talk to the guy or at least confirm this is the same PPG code he used. Also how many coats of pearl/candy etc. Because in a tri coat paint you can change the number of layers of mid coat and clear and get a very different looking effect with the exact same paint code.
Theres an Evora on here that was also volcano orange but it looks much paler in comparison to this Cobra for instance, which would probably be because of fewer coats of candy.
I'm repainting my car as well, as this is a huge reason why I am avoiding Chrome Orange this time around. There are plenty of cases where Lotus delivered cars with panels ever so slightly off, and that kills me. I also do not have a painter I trust and can afford (pick 1), or else I might be more likely to have kept CO. I am going with an opaque with metal flake in it so I can still get some 'flop' but with much fewer variables this time around.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 220 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
If you know him well, it would be great to talk to the guy or at least confirm this is the same PPG code he used. Also how many coats of pearl/candy etc. Because in a tri coat paint you can change the number of layers of mid coat and clear and get a very different looking effect with the exact same paint code.
Theres an Evora on here that was also volcano orange but it looks much paler in comparison to this Cobra for instance, which would probably be because of fewer coats of candy.
Sure, he used to be a Lotus owner (Elise) so he may still have an account on here. I'll email him the thread and ask if he minds replying, otherwise I'll see if I can put you two in touch via email.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #183 of 220 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM

I used to own that Cobra, and I'll tell you what I can about the color. First of all, it was absolutely spectacular in person. Unfortunately, I don't have the paint codes, they are closely guarded by McLaren, but the builder somehow got them from a buddy in the auto body repair industry. So, bottom line, you can get the codes with some effort, but I don't have them personally. One factor in my car was the coat of almost a chrome silver they put down before the color, really gave it a lot of pop, even a bit more than McLarens painted that color (Volcano Orange). Builder said they experimented quite a bit on one panel with different first coats, and the tab for the paintwork was in the neighborhood of $25k. I'll add some photos of the paint work when I get home, and if you want the builder and paint shop name I can supply that if you PM me, I'd rather not put them on a public forum since the codes are supposed to be secret.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

post #184 of 220 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary(SF) View Post
I used to own that Cobra, and I'll tell you what I can about the color. First of all, it was absolutely spectacular in person. Unfortunately, I don't have the paint codes, they are closely guarded by McLaren, but the builder somehow got them from a buddy in the auto body repair industry. So, bottom line, you can get the codes with some effort, but I don't have them personally. One factor in my car was the coat of almost a chrome silver they put down before the color, really gave it a lot of pop, even a bit more than McLarens painted that color (Volcano Orange). Builder said they experimented quite a bit on one panel with different first coats, and the tab for the paintwork was in the neighborhood of $25k. I'll add some photos of the paint work when I get home, and if you want the builder and paint shop name I can supply that if you PM me, I'd rather not put them on a public forum since the codes are supposed to be secret.
wow, just goes to show the power of a small tight-knit car community, thanks for replying, I'll shoot you a PM now. I believe I've already talked to the shop who did the work on your car, and BTW great to hear it's more spectacular in person, because I think Volcano orange is pretty much perfection, and your car seems to be the only in existence that's sucessfully recreated it's brilliance.
Gary(SF) likes this.
post #185 of 220 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary(SF) View Post
One factor in my car was the coat of almost a chrome silver they put down before the color, really gave it a lot of pop
Haha, this is one detail I was thinking of when I mentioned earlier how finicky multicoat paints can be. My Chrome Orange was painted with a gray primer instead of white. By itself, you'd never notice, but next to an OE Chrome Orange car it is clear that mine is a fraction of a shade darker. I never knew why that was until I started stripping the paint and then asked Lotus about the primer color.

When the painter first sprayed the car though, he only used orange over the primer without a yellow base coat. He wouldn't let me see it (didn't even tell me until months later) but apparently it came out "salmon colored". Instead of stripping the crappy paint off, he just primed again over the salmon.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #186 of 220 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Spring progress photos. This stuff is worse than paint to remove. They had to use a fiberglass stripper, cut slits in the material and attack the primer underneath to get it to bubble up. Mind you that I blocked the car 3 times to 1000 grit which is like a concourse paint job. They have to wreck some of that work just to get this stuff off. If you've done body work you can feel the pain associated with this job. See progress photos in progressing order below:

post #187 of 220 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
Wow, just read through your entire thread. I definitely admire your patience and dedication to this car! Rooting for you to finally get that paint job done right
post #188 of 220 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:33 PM

Man, I still wonder to this day how the heck the AutoFlex spray got so screwed up...

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #189 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Car is almost done. Should be painted on the 4th of July, and wet sanded Friday/over the weekend.
I went with the BMW Lava Orange Metallic color I posted earlier in the thread. It's the closest color with a paintcode I could find to Volcano Orange and it looks a bit paler than VO but does seem to have a good pop of gold pearl in the sun.

Took a dramatic video near sunset with the speedshape he painted:

Keep your fingers crossed. The hope is that I love it. If I don't the car will likely get parted out and I'll move on to an Ariel Atom.
Scott M likes this.
post #190 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Car is almost done. Should be painted on the 4th of July, and wet sanded Friday/over the weekend.
I went with the BMW Lava Orange Metallic color I posted earlier in the thread. It's the closest color with a paintcode I could find to Volcano Orange and it looks a bit paler than VO but does seem to have a good pop of gold pearl in the sun.

Took a dramatic video near sunset with the speedshape he painted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CdiClUi2k

Keep your fingers crossed. The hope is that I love it. If I don't the car will likely get parted out and I'll move on to an Ariel Atom.
I hope you love it, too. Fingers crossed over here, as well. As a side note, I happened to see a Maclaren something or other this weekend and boy you weren't kidding... that Volcano Orange is pretty mind blowing in person. Videos don't really do it justice!

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #191 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:16 AM

I hope it works for you. You deserve it after all of your hard work. Best of luck
post #192 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Making progress on the 4th, stay tuned
Attached Images

glb and Obeisance like this.
post #193 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:02 AM

Garage
Looking great! I'm excited to see what it looks like all together
post #194 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Spray booth does the color no justice. I wasn't 100% sure I went with the right color till I saw it in the sunlight:
Walk around video in the sun:

Getting the car back Tues
darkSol, mattjk and Scott M like this.

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 07-06-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #195 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:47 PM

The anticipation is palpable; how did it turn out?
nygaard likes this.
post #196 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM

could this be it? that looks really good.

darkSol and Rasmutant like this.
post #197 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Garage
Damn, looks good!!!!! So excited to see it coming along.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #198 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM

the exhaust is going to burn the paint
post #199 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 AM

So exciting to see your car finally come out as you had envisioned it. Congratulations!
post #200 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I was on a mission last week to make it to the Mission 22 new england rally. Every summer a local group of car clubs converge to make one giant rally group for a giant charity rally weekend full of shenanigans and high speed hijinx.
I recieved the chassis back from paint about a week before the rally but I still had parts coming back from paint up until 2 days before the rally so I was working on the car up until midnight, the night before the rally and my drive to the rally meeting spot at 6am was literally my shake down.
I ddn't post much about the re-assembly of the car because it was mostly tedious yet uneventful. . so it was a full week from wake up till after dark every day with help from friends.

But that morning, we drove approx 50 miles to the rally start point without issues, in fact the braking from the larger rear radially mounted calipers I installed and the lowered (+ more rake) stance transformed the handling along with the A052 tires (Never going back to R888Rs).

We started the rally which was high paced from the git-go, and made it another 30 miles before hitting traffic. While putting through traffic the car started sputtering and stalled out then stalled out again and again and started puffing a bunch of white smoke out of the ehaust (but no coolant smell)
One of the guys on the rally (a vintage racer) pulled over and made the determination that it was fuel coming out of the exhaust and flooding the cylinders. Insted of quitting on the rally the guys told me to tow it to the race track (our final destination for the day) and we'd get cracking on it.

Sat on the side of the highway for an hour and a half with temps over 100 degrees due to the traffic/hot road. Got a chance to talk to lots of people crawling by at about 3mph:

We got to the track towards the end of the day, and people got busy looking through the car. Car would barely stat and continued to puff smoke out of the exhaust. So we pulled the plugs and 3 of 4 were nasty. Changed the plugs and she started up but it was running 9:1 A/F. Super rich and was starting to foul the new plugs. We went on a hunt to look for injectors but finding even stock injectors was impossible.

The next day one of the other Elises on the rally actually crashed on the track, so we decided to try to borrow injectors from him even though they were stock 300 cc injectors instead of my 750cc injectors. Figured they should work perfect for idling and low rpm/low load. So it would be a guaranteed way to get home.
Didn't work and the car was lean even at idle to the point it barely revved.

So we had to throw the old injectors back in and magically after tapping them a bunch and working some carb cleaner through them, they seemed to be working perfectly again. Burned 2 days till they decided to work again, but the car was up and running and maintained A/F the rest of the trip, allowing us to go on the Kanc cruise on the third day.
(Think NH version of Tail of the Dragon)

We did the trip up as a group of about 30 from Loon mountain and the car's handling and braking was really really next level. Nothing short of flat out amazing.

And some short videos:

Amzing weekend, and surprisingly we made it home
mattjk and chiarov like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in