Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise - Page 11 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:31 AM

50% of the time your injector problem is the adapters have rubbed against the intake manifold and there is a short.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
50% of the time your injector problem is the adapters have rubbed against the intake manifold and there is a short.
I'll double check while I'm in there but I would guess that would cause lean / stumbling. This was pretty consisentently rich, at least as far as my wideband was concerned. Actually fouled the wideband O2 for a while until I burned out all the excess gas/carbon, then I started getting readings again.

Of course I couldn't find anyone in the paddock with a real scanner so I don't know what the computer was seeing.
post #203 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
I'll double check while I'm in there but I would guess that would cause lean / stumbling. This was pretty consisentently rich, at least as far as my wideband was concerned. Actually fouled the wideband O2 for a while until I burned out all the excess gas/carbon, then I started getting readings again.

Of course I couldn't find anyone in the paddock with a real scanner so I don't know what the computer was seeing.
On mine when the bare wire touched the manifold the injector just stuck on wide open.

And spend $50 on an OBD link code reader, best investment I ever made.

post #204 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM
Parts Finder

Garage
Looks great. Glad you were able to finish your rally. My first event with rebuilt car this week. Fingers crossed.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #205 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:44 AM

First of all, congratulations on getting the car back together. The paint color really is amazing. I hope you are every bit as happy as you thought you'd be. Aesthetically, it is a great example of a tastefully and well-modded Elise. Definitely get yourself an OBDII scanner. Cheap and and indispensable tool for people who tinker on their cars. Love the V6 mirrors, too. Were they difficult to install or were they just a bolt-on affair?

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #206 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
First of all, congratulations on getting the car back together. The paint color really is amazing. I hope you are every bit as happy as you thought you'd be. Aesthetically, it is a great example of a tastefully and well-modded Elise. Definitely get yourself an OBDII scanner. Cheap and and indispensable tool for people who tinker on their cars. Love the V6 mirrors, too. Were they difficult to install or were they just a bolt-on affair?
I actually have a bluetooth scanner with an app on my phone but of course I forgot it. Prob the best import tuner in the state was also there at the rally and I could not for the life of me find him. So who knows, just a series of cricumstances.
post #207 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I actually have a bluetooth scanner with an app on my phone but of course I forgot it. Prob the best import tuner in the state was also there at the rally and I could not for the life of me find him. So who knows, just a series of cricumstances.
Just a series of circumstances.

To be honest, that's what you should name this thread.

Or your car.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #208 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Just a simple bolt on.
Gave the car much more of the "Atomic Flee" look in people's rearview
post #209 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
On mine when the bare wire touched the manifold the injector just stuck on wide open.

And spend $50 on an OBD link code reader, best investment I ever made.
After learning that the 12V is always hot and the computer controls the ground to activate the injector, that makes a lot more sense.
The times that the injectors went haywire don't really make sense though, with that theory (mainly while puttering along in traffic). Also 3 of the 4 plugs were totally fouled. The 4th was fine, so I'm still not sure it would be a grounding issue, but I'll throw some electrical tape around the pigtails regardless.

I'm going to send the injectors out to get cleaned, and I'll pull the plugs again after a couple hundred miles and see where we stand. Also it makes sense for injectors to stick seeing as they sat for 9 months.
post #210 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
After learning that the 12V is always hot and the computer controls the ground to activate the injector, that makes a lot more sense.
FYI: this is the norm for transistor-switched circuits. It's much more common to switch the ground side of the load instead of the hot side.
post #211 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Finally got it out on track,
First time to this track, but had a good time. Actually had a couple "moments" on the track and luckily found my biggest on on video from a car chasing behind. He seemed more enthusiastic about it then I was Lol. Is that a "bug-aboo" chant?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cQ9J_KIpsA8

And From in the car (not soo much drama) The A052s are pretty progressive during breakaway but I'm not honestly sure what caused this slide so I just let the cars behind me pass and let the tires cool off a bit.
https://youtu.be/gxqygDy3rfs?t=440
post #212 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:32 PM

You turned in way later then normal cause of the pass and still tried for the apex.

post #213 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You turned in way later then normal cause of the pass and still tried for the apex.
Prob true, but it was sliding almost immediately, i think I was just too quick with the wheel. Lots of room for improvement on this track, it was my first time there and as you can tell the track is narrow with little runoff in multiple spots
post #214 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Good news is that I can confirm the A052s have super progressive breakaway. So far i like them more than the R888Rs (and much quieter) even though I'm not seeing a ton more max lateral grip
post #215 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I need to make up for some lost time so today I did a Trackcross event. $75 and no flagger duty at my favorite track.
The track was actually flooded by a local river ripping entire portions of the track up. The hight of the water was over 6 feet in some spots.
Someone actually caught the start of the flooding. This is the track...

During flooding: https://www.facebook.com/richard.hem...8572664898103/
After Flooding: https://www.facebook.com/CanaanMotor...9770969510853/

Now just a little over a month later they've cleaned up the track completely (parts of the track that weren't ripped up were buried in over a foot of fine silt) have the area graded and ready for repaving.
So I was absolutely estatic that it was open even if we were using the go kart infield track to bypass the section that was washed away.

And a lap of the track When a lotus feels like a bus, you're on a tight track:

Car ran well, needs more front end grip, but I can place the weight on the rear even under full acceleration and it just sticks. So brake late apex late and keep the weight on the rear and theres just endless grip.
I was getting a very stiff pedal on the same spot in the track and I thought again I was fading the pads. (I had this happen once too at Thompson last weekend at the end of the 120+mph straight and almost overshot the corner).
But on the very next corner the car would brake fine. I kept getting a stiff pedal on the same braking zone, and I would have continued to think it was pad fade until I actually "broke through" the stiff pedal which revealed more travel and much more braking force. So now I'm wondering if I'm dealing with the dreaded "ICE mode".
If so, even under ICE mode, the car was still braking pretty darn well, and I only got this sensation consistently in 1 braking zone (after the hairpin) headed at the cones downshifting to 2nd. @kfennell what do you think?
post #216 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I need to make up for some lost time so today I did a Trackcross event. $75 and no flagger duty at my favorite track.
The track was actually flooded by a local river ripping entire portions of the track up. The hight of the water was over 6 feet in some spots.
Someone actually caught the start of the flooding. This is the track...

During flooding: https://www.facebook.com/richard.hem...8572664898103/
After Flooding: https://www.facebook.com/CanaanMotor...9770969510853/

Now just a little over a month later they've cleaned up the track completely (parts of the track that weren't ripped up were buried in over a foot of fine silt) have the area graded and ready for repaving.
So I was absolutely estatic that it was open even if we were using the go kart infield track to bypass the section that was washed away.

And a lap of the track When a lotus feels like a bus, you're on a tight track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rue1C48HFQ

Car ran well, needs more front end grip, but I can place the weight on the rear even under full acceleration and it just sticks. So brake late apex late and keep the weight on the rear and theres just endless grip.
I was getting a very stiff pedal on the same spot in the track and I thought again I was fading the pads. (I had this happen once too at Thompson last weekend at the end of the 120+mph straight and almost overshot the corner).
But on the very next corner the car would brake fine. I kept getting a stiff pedal on the same braking zone, and I would have continued to think it was pad fade until I actually "broke through" the stiff pedal which revealed more travel and much more braking force. So now I'm wondering if I'm dealing with the dreaded "ICE mode".
If so, even under ICE mode, the car was still braking pretty darn well, and I only got this sensation consistently in 1 braking zone (after the hairpin) headed at the cones downshifting to 2nd. @kfennell what do you think?
i know we talked about this, but im experiencing the same problem since the front brakes all around mod.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #217 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Maybe you have a vacuum leak? The pedal is vacuum assisted.

Could always pull the abs fuse as well for diagnosis.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

post #218 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
i know we talked about this, but im experiencing the same problem since the front brakes all around mod.
I was going to reach out to you actually, to say I ended up experiencing the same thing today as you were last weekend. Time to pull the ABS fuse and see what happens
post #219 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I was going to reach out to you actually, to say I ended up experiencing the same thing today as you were last weekend. Time to pull the ABS fuse and see what happens
I actually took the aggressive pads out, and changed to street pads. I have the Ferodo DS2500 in front, stock pads rear. Have an HPDE at thompson with the LOG 39 guys tomorrow, so I can report back if problem happens in the same spots.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #220 of 220 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
A "stiff" pedal and the car not slowing is the ABS or "ice mode." Try to let the car settle before pounching on the brakes and stay out of the bumps in the braking zone. A soft pedal would be pad or fluid fade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in