Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:29 PM

Where are you located?
I have a front clam that you can just have if you are in the Bay Area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
I'm a bit worried about resale value of the car with the shaved turn signals.
Considering you're rebuilding a salvage-title car, I wouldn't worry too much about non-standard modifications affecting the value, or resaleability of the car. Also, several people have shaved the turn signals (because of just this problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
I also went to a shop that specializes in what they call liquid wraps. Thats basically fancy talk for new age plastidip, thats sprayed like traditional paint.
There's a recent thread on here about a guy who had something like this done. He H-A-T-E-D it. I think it had a lot to do with the company that applied it but, they did a horrible job. To say "there were many imperfections in the finish" is being ridiculously polite.

I don't know if it was an application issue or just the way the product is but, it made a mess and looked awful.

Here's the thread...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259...-elise-413665/

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #23 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
Considering you're rebuilding a salvage-title car, I wouldn't worry too much about non-standard modifications affecting the value, or resaleability of the car. Also, several people have shaved the turn signals (because of just this problem).

There's a recent thread on here about a guy who had something like this done. He H-A-T-E-D it. I think it had a lot to do with the company that applied it but, they did a horrible job. To say "there were many imperfections in the finish" is being ridiculously polite.

I don't know if it was an application issue or just the way the product is but, it made a mess and looked awful.

Here's the thread...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259...-elise-413665/

The car has a clean title with 13,500 miles.

As you mentioned. all about the application. I found the video of the red car on youtube... the guy got completely screwed. I wouldn't consider it if I hadn't seen the results first hand.

I needed to see it to believe it because of so many horror stories like the red car, and I'll say that's a real horror story. I'm not lawsuit happy but he should go to court to get his money back if need be, thats how bad that particular job was. Using this as an example of liquid wraps... just isn't logical though.

The car is factory black, I would dip it white. Hopefully get a few years out of it. Then decide down the line if I want to do a factory respray black or something else.

post #24 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

So I called Dipyourcar.com and the materials for the good liquid wraps are almost 1k alone. Forget that... That's about half the cost (in materials alone) of a factory respray, which is what I'm leaning towards now. The car was phantom black.

Also found photos of the car before the accident:

I don't think the silver blob in the middle or the red pinstripe doesn't look good at all. So I'd just make it clean and factory black again.

Still looking for input on if anyone thinks that I'll be lowering the resale of the car by shaving the marker lights and the factory seam on the front of the front clam.

Here's a car that I believe is phantom black and has had the seam and markers shaved:
post #25 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Sig

Garage
Most of the auto "collectors" are obsessed with originality! I'm not. I like the way Jay Leno approaches car...functionally improved, tastefully modified. So, if you think you will be selling your car to a collector, then don't shave...but I don't think your particular car is in the "collectable" class... So go for it! Shaving turn signals still goes along the Lotus mantra of adding simplicity and lightness.

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #26 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 AM

Once the clam is replaced and or repaired and a note of the accident is on the title, modifying the signals makes no difference.

On another note, the issue with repaired clams is not just the repairs themselves (especially on Elise as the clams are very thin). These clams are not molded in one piece. They are made of multiple smaller pieces which are then seamed together. When an impact occurs, it transfers the stresses to all of these seams. They all shift. So while the impact may only visually effect 2-3 panels, the stresses impact all of them. You may not see it but there are small stress cracks along all of the seams. Over time these can become more visible. SO you are dealing with multiple issues in clam repair, not just the obvious ones you can see initially.

Good luck with the repair. If you require technical assistance, email us at [email protected]
post #27 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys, I'm asking for opinions because this is the forum that I would probably sell the car on. Who else would you sell a very highly modified car to??
I don't know this community well enough to judge where your values lay yet.

At the end of the day I'll make the car my own regardless, but knowing what it's going to cost you or benefit you down the line is a nice piece of information to know.
post #28 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Got the new (or less broken) front clam today. Looks like it got a bit more cracked in transit but still better than what is on the car now
It came in more bubble wrap,cardboard, blankets and plastic wrap than any item I've ever seen. When I unwrapped it there was a small hill of cardboard created in it's wake.

Between parts for the Elise and parts coming off the Rx7, the garage has gone straight to holy ****ing disaster zone batman. Is this how hoarders start?

post #29 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Op: where were you finding the crashbox(s) from in the uk?

I bought an Elise spares one to repair my crash damage but I'm not impressed with it and my original one was too far gone from the removal process. Looking for an undamaged used option and uk is best for me from a shipping perspective. I'd welcome a heads up on here or pm. Cheers
post #30 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
I also just bought a crashbox from elise-spares. The quality isn't OEM in terms of finish but it appears that it should fit up just fine and it's not a piece that you'd ever really visually see. And the price was only a fraction of OEM.

I'm curious what you didn't like about it, did it have fitment issues?

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #31 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirt View Post
Op: where were you finding the crashbox(s) from in the uk?

I bought an Elise spares one to repair my crash damage but I'm not impressed with it and my original one was too far gone from the removal process. Looking for an undamaged used option and uk is best for me from a shipping perspective. I'd welcome a heads up on here or pm. Cheers
I'm sorry I didn't see these questions. I just searched Ebay for Lotus Elise crashbox and it was one of the first replies, and then I called the shops. They had a Non oem box available for about 500 but I really only wanted OEM for this part and I'm NO OEM SNOT.
But to answer Chiaroy's question I looked for OEM because I find it hard to believe that aftermarket companies can come up with a crash box that deforms consistently. This is pretty critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
I also just bought a crashbox from elise-spares. The quality isn't OEM in terms of finish but it appears that it should fit up just fine and it's not a piece that you'd ever really visually see. And the price was only a fraction of OEM.

See above. It's not about the look of the part, could care less about this, it's that this is one case where I doubt aftermarket can create a part that performs like OEM.

UPDATE on the car:
After only a short 2-3 weeks a new set of keys has been created for the car. A new window has been put in the car and the car was FINALLY picked up from San Antonio on Friday
Where I'm getting the front clam repaired is still a research project but I have the clam, and I have the crash box which I found in a junkyard in Ohio.

The rear diffuser is also bent so I picked up the used one that quiz had up for sale in the classifieds. Glad I did.
New race car parts:

And here's the photos the kid took when the car was getting loaded on the trailer, car looks really really nice. Basically just want to lower it slightly, get a small front splitter and maybe the exige side scoops and the car would be literally perfect. But it's looking better from these photos:

If if lucky the local dealership should have the new key fob in stock. If they do.. all I might have to do is program it and it's possible that this car will start right up. Keep your fingers crossed.
post #32 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Also the dealership that sold the car to the kid in San Antonio was nice enough to send over a bunch of paperwork and invoices on work done on the car.

This is pretty amazing, can't wait to get this car back on the road:

post #33 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

How my day Started: (Getting whats left of my Rx7 out of the garage and to the junk yard)

And then Todays trip to the post office to send out goodies from the part out:

And how my day ended:
Finally pictures of the interior. Never saw it in pictures, but it is really nice, or was really nice but it seems like everything inside or outside this car has been dinged, scuffed or somewhat damaged to some degree.. this kid really was a human wrecking ball

Never got shots of the interior so I never realized this thing had Exige seats in it. Such an awesome surprise:

post #34 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

lol it's in the garage but i don't think the rebuild is going to go any smoother at this rate.
the broken glass from the foglight got me good. i looked down at my hand to see my knuckle cut wide open with the center all white. had that experience a few times where i can confirm my bones are indeed white.

figuring i should get stitches but the slight pukey feeling was overcome by basically blind rage at that point. I wrapped it electrical taped it and got back to work. i little worried about unwrapping it later lol but i did disarm the immobilizer.
tried cranking it, it cranked and cranked but zero ignititon. so i'm thinking the inertia switch might have been tripped when the last owner crashed it but the crash doesnt look bad enough. will also find the fuse block to make sure its not just a fuse.

theres a fuel pressure gauge right on the fpr next to the rail so i'll just have my wife look at it while i crank it over, but i dont hear the fuel pump so i'm assuming it's not being powered. The gas in the car is probably a year old too but if it was getting fuel it woulds still have some ignition.

Where is the fuse block and inertia switch on this car?
post #35 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

This car may be already drawing blood and sweat (no tears yet) but I got it started. it was the inertia switch. car didn't like the year old gas, will prob siphon that off but it starts now. Of all things the only thing not working is the radio, the wideband, and the radar detector, they all are next to each other so I'm guessing same fuse, but checked all fuses in the car and everything was good

car runs though. Vibrates like a basterd though, bad gas, cold engine and stiff engine/trans mounts prob down't help. hope it smooths out as it warms up:

Btw had another car turn off the road right into my driveway as i was out there to ask about the car... I just told them i was just transporting it for a friend. then got thumbs up from a bimmer driver as i was backing the trailer into the driveway. cant even leave this thing outside without rubber neckers. Theres just no interesting cars around here, not sure i'm really a fan of the attention. That might eventually get really old.
post #36 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post

Fits up fine and all the bolt holes appear to be in the right places (depressions you drill out yourself) but the finish is bad and the build quality worse. As per oem it's made in two halves - upper and lower- and the gaps are non uniform and plugged up with PU adhesive.

Ok for track but I wouldn't use it on the road. I've emailed a few people on seloc who agree with my POV.

I've enquired with deroure for a new one but also had a good friend who builds carbon race yachts take a look at it and he thinks my worries are unfounded. There's no structural damage or stress cracks on my original structure and only superficial cosmetic issues from removing it which will be covered on rebuild. He's going to work on it this week.

Going to uk next week so will prob pick one up anyway if lotus have one in stock. Flight is paid for by work and 2/3 cost of the part so a cost I can suck up.

Btw - OP the crashbox is an arse to remove but can be done using a thin long knife and an air gun to heat it.

I also did some research into the pu glue to use as the betaseal stated for the s2 isn't that great . Betaseal 1701 is no longer available and as the one stated for use as a replacement is a windscreen bonding agent. The factory now use a 2 part system which is roughly equivalent to betamate 2810. Bonding technology has come on a very long way since our cars were built and this is a far better solution imo.

https://www.silmid.com/adhesives/polyurethane-adhesives/dow-betamate-2810lv-a-b-2x290ml232749/
post #37 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Decided to let the car warm up a bit and there doesn't appear to be any coolant in this car. I tried to open up what looked like where coolant should be added but I couldn't get it to move... don't know if I'm missing something. Could open the overflow, but not the black reservior, that looks like where you'd add coolant.

See picture below, can't seem to get the black cap off. Am I missing something here?

Radiator was cold, even though the car came up to temp and the fans came on for a second

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 07-27-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #38 of 210 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Alright so update on the car.
I obviously got it started and I wanted to slowly bring it up to temp to see if it would hold. I get the car idling and I see that the temp is rising uncontrollably. The car gets up to about 200 and I shut it off. The radiator is ice cold so I know the thermostat isn't opening. And we grab some of the radiator hoses and they seem empty but we can hear some coolant in the radiator.

So we top off the coolant with some water. We put in maybe a half a gallon in and brought it up to temp a couple more times, revved it up tried to get some air out. We ended up bringing it up to 200 about 3 or 4 times before the thermostat finally opened. We immediately saw the water in the reservoir turn pink as it mixed with the coolant already in the system, and then our radiator started finally getting warm.

From there it held about 195 for 20 mins. We didn't see any coolant leaking out anywhere, and the car's not smoking/no water in the oil. So I'm a bit at odds to where the coolant went... That seems like something that could come back to be a pain in the ass later.

But once we got the car to hold temp we decided to put it in gear and roll it around a bit. It's got a flat tire but it was really nice to back it out of the garage which I did and drove it up and down the driveway a few times. Usually I can tell somewhat how a car is going to feel almost immediately as I take off from a stop and the clutch, engagement and feeling of the car overall just from rolling it 20 feet was very promising.

I also pulled the parts from the front that were destroyed in the crash and I think for this summer I'm just going to run it the way it is, and do all of the work over the winter on the car.

We spent most of today cleaning up the garage again, and cleaning up the car.
Tues I have the new R888Rs coming that I'm going to get mounted, but for now, I still need to figure out how to get the lug nuts off (lol stupid special tool is required from the dealership). I also had to get new jackstands with flat tops. Also bought a new battery. I'm going to try the Lithium Iron battery (The biggest Shorai) which is overkill in terms of CCAs, but the reserve is realistically equivalent to about 10-12AHs. So that should be useable as a dual purpose battery with a tender and a remote shut off switch.

Pictures from today after we cleaned the car up a bit. It almost looks like it's old self:

post #39 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Was looking for a black car with carbon fiber accents. I think I found inspiration. And I think this car is phantom black too, which I'm learning is one of the most difficult colors because it's extremely simple black. No flake, nothing in it. It really looks just like the black on my 4runner and less like the black on my Infiniti. So if it's not perfectly clean it just looks really terrible. But when it is clean, the below is what the car can look like.

So I think I'm going to do a factory respray in either Phantom or Starlight black. And if I change my mind and not repaint it black, it would have to be Graphite grey or (lets go balls to the wall) Chrome orange.
The advantgae of the black/grey is that they're a bit more subtle which is good here in New England. Black sucks to maintain because it's impossible to keep clean and stone chips are obvious, especially phantom black. So maybe starlight black is a good middle ground.

Open to input on this
post #40 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Good news
More race car parts:

Bad news, my lower control arm on the passenger rear looks a little wavy. The rim is curbed hard on that side so he obviously slid into a curb or something:

And for comparison, the other side:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in