Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Worked all weekend and just got the car back together an hour ago.
Reassembled the suspension on that side with the new toe links installed.
Here's the old arm with the new arm next to each other:

Then installed the toe link on the other side which requires pulling the brakes. And I absolutely mangled the boots on the outer ball joints on both sides trying to get them off, so that will just have to be another job for the winter.

Toe links installed

Then reinstalled the pan, new oil filter and the undertray. To put the undertray back on you need to take it off jack stands, and I then installed the diffuser. Bad photo but I'll take a better one tomorrow. It really looks good without looking ridiculous for a street car or ricer at all:

Backed the car down the driveway again just to feel it rolling. Man it feels smooth. This car changes speed without drama. I dumped the clutch slightly at the bottom of the driveway at maybe 2500 rpm and without seemingly any weight transfer or drama it just gripped and I was at the garage door very quickly. The lack of weight allows you to just do things that would be difficult in a heavier car. Hard to describe.

If UPS isn't slow as ****, I'll have my RMV forms from the insurance company to register the car/ get plates tomorrow. Then it needs an alignment bad. The side I worked on looks like it has visible negative camber and visible toe out.

Looks like the alignment setup suggested for stock suspension and R-Comps is to max out the camber all the way around with 2-3MM total toe in, in the rear. Seems pretty simple, so we'll see if I can set up an appointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming. Those focals up front for speakers and what i see as some subwoofers behind those seats?

05 chrome orange Elise touring
2000 Tacoma TRD 4x4 5 speed
Prius (my wifes car i promise)
previous
countless Miatas
08 boxster S
Lexus IS-F
post #43 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Got the car registered, and then it actually made it to the alignment rack:

Had a great day, drove the car maybe 10 miles total just got some gas in it, tested it out. Still no WOT.

Car felt great but they weren't able to get negative camber. Said they need shims to do it. I look it up and you take out shims to get negative camber so I don't know what they hell they were talking about.

Was going to bring it back, but I see a puddle of oil under the car after it's been sitting a few hours. ****tt.. must be something I did because the car never had a leak before. Will have to check the oil pan and the oil filter, those are the only things that I touched in the oiling system, unless something is leaking because it's now being pressurized.

Car held temp, about 195 consistently, but need to pull the diffuser/undertray again tomorrow and look around. I have to laugh at this point. I wasn't actually expecting this car to be a "project" but it certainly is.

post #44 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolomonic View Post
Thanks for the updates, keep them coming. Those focals up front for speakers and what i see as some subwoofers behind those seats?
I will, thanks for the response, it's been a quiet thread so far. And I have some good news I took the car for a long drive tonight. About an hour, and it was the first ride with the wife. We drove down to the beach, and then followed the coast line for about 30 minutes and then snaked our way back.

Pulled the undertray and like I thought I didn't prep the surface well enough when I put the pan back on, so had to pull it again, this time it only took an hour and a half, it's almost like I'm getting the hang of this

Prepped the surface a bit more this time, used great stuff this time which sets up quicker, put oil in it, and started it up again. Checked for leaks quickly after idling revving in the driveway and everything looked good, so I said hey wifey, lets go for a ride to the beach.

It was already dark but to hell with it, if it over heats we can make it back shutting it down every 5-10 mins, if the oil pan gasket leaks, it'll still keep enough oil in the sump of the pan to keep us going. so I said to hell with it. The car felt good when I drove it for about 10 mins, and I tested it idling on a hot day for over an hour without it overheating.

Ride went off without a major hitch, but it seems as if something is not quite right with the tune.
I know the BOE tune is still in the car because I watched AFRs drop to 12-11:1 as it built boost, so it seemed safe, but on initial tip in of the throttle there's some minor hesitation at times, idle bounces at times, these things are minor tuning issues.
But I did get to go WOT and the 2 times I went all the way to red line in 2nd it was fine through red line but when I shifted to 3rd, and applied the gas to continue accelerating it would backfire/sputter, I get out of the gas, its fine, get back in the gas more backfires.

Hmm that's weird, but car goes back to idling normal etc, car sounds and runs perfect, so it seems like a tuning issue. Will need to touch base with BOE. The car came with tactrix cable, so I think I can do data logging with it. Still trying to figure it all out with this car. I'm capable, but obviously trying to figure out this platform and this car at the same time.

BTW the radio sounds amazing, we had the top off and with the radio cranked it sounded like we were in a normal car with the windows up. The wife liked the radio a lot, we had some classic rock going which was a lot of fun.
The car has those speakers (sorry don't know audio at all so if you can tell me what I have I'd appreciate it) in the dash, and then I think the same speakers behind your head, with an Alpine sub in the middle. Will take more pics because I want to know what it is.

Ohh and if there's a way to kill the door rattles in this car, good lord, would I spend a pretty penny on it. The doors are the source of 95% of the rattles, and they're out of control. My race stripped 89 rx7 rattled less.

But at the end of the day IT RUNS!! Holy ****.

Super quick video my wife took from tonight:
post #45 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Found out that we have race gas on tap right in my town. So I go down to the station and put 5 Gallons of 100 octane in. It immediately fixes all driveability issues and what I thought was tuning issues. Looks like I didn't drain enough of the old gas out.
Car is running great now!

Enough talking, time for some videos:

And Took the opportunity to do a little brap brap under the overpass (this is the Silent Touch Muffler, still sounds pretty good):

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 08-10-2017 at 04:08 PM.
post #46 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Sold my Exige S

To be safe, add some Gumout to fully cleanse those injectors. E-10 fuel sitting that long definitely produced a layer of water at the bottom of the tank.

Great to see it running better!
post #47 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Such moderate

Garage
I want a project like this. Freaking awesome. Previous owner spent some $$$ on that car!
post #48 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by +TSRAGR View Post
To be safe, add some Gumout to fully cleanse those injectors. E-10 fuel sitting that long definitely produced a layer of water at the bottom of the tank.

Great to see it running better!
Thank you, luckily it was only a couple gallons of gas, but yes I will be using some fuel injector cleaner as well. And every time I bring the car to the track or autox, now I have a place to pick up a couple gallons of 100 octane for some safety margin. If BOE ever makes available multi map tunes that you can switch on the fly, I'm deff getting a 100 octane tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I want a project like this. Freaking awesome. Previous owner spent some $$$ on that car!
It's simple, you just find a good deal on eBay, ask the community about it, and then outbid all of the new competition you created for yourself

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to probably run the car like this for the rest of the summer, and continue to fix some small items, like the door/window rattles. The integrated radar detector not working. The battery tie down solution for the Shorai battery. Small to-dos. I have no shame so I don't mind driving it around town with half the front clam crashed up. And it's actually kinda nice. I never worry about getting too close to curbs, or steep driveways, lol.

I've got the repaired front clam done, picking it up today, and I'm going to finish both clams and replace the front crash structure over the winter.
Then it's figuring out if I should stay black or maybe go graphite grey, that's the only other color I'm considering. But the car should be damn near flawless when it's done. I have the trusted local corvette shop doing the body work, so it's getting done right.

For the near future though, the local Miata club is running an AutoX event on the 19th of August, about a week from now. So I'm going to continue to street drive the car for this week and if everything goes well, I'm going to drive the car to the event (about an hour away) do the event and drive it home.
The R888Rs are really starting to get sticky, now that I'm getting the factory oils off of them, so its time to explore the limits of the chassis a bit more, and see what our starting point is there.
All I've done is get an alignment and pull the front shims. Have plenty of rear camber, but probably only about half a degree of negative camber up front.. I foresee understeer.

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 08-11-2017 at 05:44 AM.
post #49 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 AM

Didn't realize you were in Mass

Hafta let me know if you cruise up to the North Shore

Good job on the rebuild, pretty quick too!
post #50 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Didn't realize you were in Mass

Hafta let me know if you cruise up to the North Shore

Good job on the rebuild, pretty quick too!
Thanks man, I'm on the south shore. Let me know if there's any local Lotus events/happenings. Would be awesome to meet some other locals.
Like I said I'm headed out to Devens in Ayer for AutoX next weekend, thats the plan for now anyway.
post #51 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 AM

When I bought my car the driver door was rattling like no tomorrow.

Turned out that most of the regulator mechanism bolts were loose and one large bolt in the center of the door was missing!!! And it was not on the ground when I remove the door trim panel...what??

The two screws that were required to hold the striker-side regulator rail at the bottom had both vanished too. (I used my cell phone camera to take pictures inside to see what was going on)

The two rail screws were a PITA to fix because it is a tight space inside the door at that location, and you only have about a 1/2 inch to get a wrench on the screw head. I ended up using to short sheet metal screw with a hex head where I could get a low profile ratchet style, right angle wrench on the head. About an hour later...and successfully reattached.

I ended up removing all the bolts, one at a time, that hold the regulator assembly to the door panel and adding thread lock to them. Did the same for the passenger side too. This has eliminated the majority of rattles from the door and has held-up pretty well.
Ls1Rx7 likes this.

06 Lotus Elise: Ardent Red, Sport+Touring, ShiftR111, S111 TransCables, LETSLA, Driving lights
02 Honda S2000: Spa yellow, Berk Hi-flow Cat, Alpine head unit, Focal speakers
09 Honda Civic EX Coupe: Stock winter bomber
post #52 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Got the front clam back from the body shop yesterday. Just took some pics. It looks like they did a really really good job. I don't think even an experienced eye could tell this was ever fixed, and the plan when it's painted is to have a better finish than OEM:

post #53 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
Looks really good! What are you doing about the bumper armatures that attach to the crash structure for the federal cars? Or does the Elise not have those?

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #54 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
Looks really good! What are you doing about the bumper armatures that attach to the crash structure for the federal cars? Or does the Elise not have those?
I'm not sure about the parts you're referencing. The car currently has a crashed clam on it already along with cracked front structure.
So I bought a used crash structure and a used clam which is the one that was fixed. All other parts will be transferred over from the crashed items to the (new to me) items.
post #55 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage
I meant these pieces. But I think they are only on 06+ federal cars?

#1 and #4 in this pic

They are glued to the crash structure and are a bitch to separate! I managed to salvage mine after cutting away the crash structure but it wasn't easy. They are like super super thick and strong pieces of composite.

Here are a few pics from when part of the crash structure was still glued on (cut off from the main structure) and then after separating it.
Attached Images

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue

Last edited by chiarov; 08-14-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added pics
post #56 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I haven't seen those pieces on my car, and they weren't included on the crash structure I purchased.
post #57 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Ls1rx7 you move quick! Putting me to shame there....

For the door rattles take off the interior panels and the plastic behind them. Wind your windows up, then fit some dynamat and 1/2" dynaliner. Seal the joints with spinnaker sail tape. Pain of a job but makes a huge difference. Tighten any screws (window regulators can work loose) and fit anti rattle door pins. Actually do that first lol!
post #58 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

First AutoX today.
Lesson for the day. The ST exhaust isn't that silent actually.

So this week, I taught my wife how to drive stick, on the Elise. Figured it's a well used clutch and I'm going to switch to a lightweight flywheel at some point soon, so why wait.
On thursday night i bring her out and we start with the typical parking lot practice. Starting it in first gear and getting it into second, third etc.
So when I sign up for autoX that night afterwards I figured it's be funny to sign her up too. Not much shifting in AutoX lol

We did some more practice friday and saturday night after a bit of surprise on her end, lol, and by the end of the practice on saturday she was starting on hills etc. Really doing well, so I knew if she could get to the start line, the run would be fine.

I have yet to really push the car, have never driven an Elige at full tilt ever in my life, and we've only had this car on the road a week.
First run out I'm driving the car. We're the first heat, and I have no idea what to expect but once I get through the more technical part of the course and I'm not looking for gates, I open it up quite a bit more and get the car nearly 90 degrees sideways, still recover the slide and make the next gate.
So my fear of the car terminally understeering (due to the lack of front camber currently), is alleviated. It will dance if you want it to. Although it generally would understeer, so I was right but the chassis is good enough that you can make it oversteer if you like. Had one of the Pros drive the car and he confirmed that he felt like driving neutrally that it would push in the corners. I also had a fear of this car's snap oversteer tendency. Lots of videos of people stuffing these ass end first at the track, and despite being completely incompetent and on R-Compounds the slide was super controlled still, so I didn't run into anything that was odd or scary today. It was actually finally playful, and you need to be going stupid speeds to see how playful the chassis really is.

But on the end of my first run someone comes over and says they had me at 91dB (limit is 90) and so I say no biggie. I'll just drive the course in 3rd the rest of the day. You only get 1 warning and then you're out, but I wasn't worried. I knew the wife would be driving miss daisy and I'd just keep the revs down.

Well anyway one of the pros we met who I actually know from many years ago (more on that next) we ask to drive Angie in the car to show her how you're supposed to drive and he properly rips it, and when he comes back the fun police pull us over again saying we're at 92 dB.
Only Good vid from the day from the start of that Run: (Lol @ "Very angry Lotus Exige"

Organizers were very nice about it and the pro felt really bad. It's funny because he's the first guy we met pulling in (he was running tech)
And we walk the course with him too, and not 1 minute of conversation has gone by between him and my wife, as he was asking about the new car etc. and I'm trying to catch up. My wife says he used to have an Ls1 Rx7.
The pro immediately goes, I know that car! I drove that car!
yes he did and he's the fastest driver I've ever run into he beat my time by 8 seconds in the rx7 and the other pro's by 5 seconds
His run in my old LS / RX7 from 8 years ago:

Coming back 8 years later (using the date from the video) and within 1 minute I reconnect with the last person I probably met 8 years ago. And if I remember correctly he drove the rx7 so hard, it was the only time I needed to shut it down because it was overheating.

So both times he ran the car he went so hard that some sort of fall out came from it.

But he did run around the paddack looking for a supertrap, or a turn down. They tried putting steel wool in the exhaust with a mesh screen, which held until the first backfire / fireball happened (which is damn near every high rpm shift). so that was gone after run one.

Anyway fun day regardless. It was pretty hot so being able to get outta there around 1-2pm actually felt like a big blessing.
Get home and they wrote me an email. Gave me a full credit for future event.Pretty awesome group!

Any thoughts on quieting it down? Super trap might work, but I read on here a story of someone with a supercharged car having their header gasket leak from the added back pressure.
post #59 of 210 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Got to 2 Cars and Coffee Events in 2 days this weekend. A little bodywork isn't keeping my from having fun. Put over 1,000 miles on the car already
Got spotted on the way in at the Local Mclaren delaer, and on the way out at the next event:

Arriving:
https://youtu.be/3n6476R7ebE?t=6m21s

Leaving:

https://youtu.be/QHRXWqRxm00?t=3m4s

https://youtu.be/k6O47dU_Yq8?t=13m56s
post #60 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

It's been too long since I updated this thread.
I haven't had much reason to start the restoration process since it's been in the 50s-60s up until this week.

2 weeks ago I was supposed to go to a HPDE up in NH with nice 60 degree weather, but it got pushed out until tomorrow. And while there isn't any snow or rain in the forecast, thank god. We're getting record cold.
It's going to be around 10 degrees tonight up at the track, about 25 down here in MA. I've got the car in the garage which is about 20 degrees warmer, so we're really going to be pushing the lower temp limits of the r-comounds. Tomorrow will be about 40.

Traction won't be the best but it'll still be better and more consistent than rain.
I went through, flushed the fluids in the car, and did a bolt check, and there was a shocking number of bolts that were A LOT looser than they should have been. I went through and tightened everything up as I'm going to be disassembling most of the vehicle this winter on the rebuild, where I'll lock tight everything.

What is it with this vehicle, I've never had a car where bolts liked to loosen up so easily.

Anyway I wasn't planning on doing a HPDE with the car until I learned the car better but this small local track has good runoff areas.
A view of the track at speed:

While I was under the car I also installed control arms (V2 Arms) which were magical at stopping bump steer, reducing steering effort, and giving me the camber I need up front.

Sitting at about -2.5 degrees camber up front with about -2 degrees out back

Due to the cold temps I took a chance to use the front end damage to access and block off one of the oil coolers, and I may tape over the vent on the other side.

Never tried sitting in the car with the helmet on, like every other dimension I barely fit.

Sitting in the garage waiting for tomorrow:

Tow vehicle ready to roll out at dawn:

I downloaded Harrys lap timer, so hopefully everything will perform correctly and I'll have lots of video to share.
Then the weather's forcing my hand on starting to dig in. This is my last hurrah for season

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 11-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in