Starting the Rebuild Process - 06 Elise - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
So the corvette shop that did the front clam stopped returning my calls. Then the body guy I was supposed to get the work done by stopped returning calls, then the replacement body shop started going quite.
Even today I was supposed to meet another lotus owner who did his own body work and he was a no show.

So I said to hell with everyone. Time to get this body work knocked out, basically finished the fiberglass repair today and got both doors to 400 grit, just the rockers left and a few other spots (jambs/mirrors, etc)

Tackled a section by the rear tires where it looks like the car bottomed out and ground some off the fiberglass. Another area on the other side where the rocker was cracked, and finally the door where the mirror attaches. This one was and is going to be difficult because I had to glue multiple pieces in place and if any of them fell in the door they'd be gone forever.

Also recreated the lip on the rear deck lid which unfortunately came cracked:

Crack ground out of the rear deck lid:

Epoxy resin over fiberglass sheet, about the strongest repair you can make:

Filled with fiberglass reinforces filler:

That filler leaves a lot of pinholes and other imperfections which need to be filled with glazing putty:

Deck lid finished the rough in process:

You'd never know about 2" section of lip was missing. I had to totally recreate it, and this gave me the confidence to tackle re-assembling the mirror.

Got one side of the car to 400 grit:

Then starte talking about a 4-5" crack on the other side.
Ground out the damage and drilled out the end of the crack:

Looking through the fiberglass after grinding it down to make sure I got to the end of the crack:

And filled with fiberglass cloth both front and back:

Then on to the door/mirror. This was going to be difficult, but I felt like I learned enough doing the other repairs that I was ready:
State of the mirror prior to repair:

Holding the 3 pieces I could find in place:

I know this looks like Frankenstein but you gotta trust me this came out great. I waited about an hour until the epoxy went from the consistency of maple syrup to the consistency of thick tree sap, then I took each piece and dipped it and set it in place, then used just a little bit of cloth to hold these pieces in place. Once this dries the epoxy will help the peices in place along with the fiberglass pieces (like a tack weld) and then I'm going to re-inforce with more cloth from behind and then grind these stray pieces off and fill the cracks with fiberglass reinforced filler again. Or lay cloth over the front and grind flat:

BTW got rock chips?

And finally I also had some time to install some badass shelving and organize the garage
Before:

After:

Do you know the distance between the two bottom holes for the mirror?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 AM
Carbon Fiber

Hey I got a question for ya. I am rebuilding my elise as well, just putting on a body kit and I noticed something from your pics that I am going through now and you may be as well. Not sure how far along you are.

If you look at where your headlights go on your original clam, the pockets are see through, but your new blue clam, the pockets are sealed in. How are you gonna deal with that?

See in my situation, my stock clam has the pockets, but my new clam does not. As of now headlights are not directly compatible but I know I could get them mounted another way.

OR maybe you need my headlight brackets and I need yours !

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.
post #103 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:49 AM

You have a post 07 car he doesn't

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...

post #104 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
You have a post 07 car he doesn't

Yes my Elise is an 06

so you’re telling me the headlight pockets for 07 and up are hollow?

Trying to figure out how to get my headlights from an 06 to fit in this style pocket

post #105 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
Yes my Elise is an 06

so you’re telling me the headlight pockets for 07 and up are hollow?

Trying to figure out how to get my headlights from an 06 to fit in this style pocket
07 and up the headlights are one unit that fits into that hole, then 11 and up is different again

06 and down has that bucket and you piece together the lights in that bucket.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #106 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Carbon Fiber

Thanks for the clarification I see what I’m up against now I wonder if anybody has attempted to fit the 05-06 headlights in an 07-11 clam.

I can’t be the first person that’s had to deal with this and my headlight covers are brand new sure would be a shame to have to buy some 07-11 lights

post #107 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:37 PM

Prior to GRP selling new lenses, the 07+ headlamp assemblies were less money, so it was more common to go from 05 to 07 assemblies.
post #108 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Fiberglass on the mirror is complete:

Sanding has commenced:

Ohh thats a pretty color, how many more are under there?

post #109 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Lol, it looks like the YOLO goes even deeper with this car than I thought.
So, I'm going through hell stripping this paint, but I've got the hang of the DA now, and it's making things go a bunch quicker.

Anyway, things are going well, and I'm getting the first panel done, then the next, then the next

And then I uncover some yellow. I know that the car had some yellow, but I finally figure out why I'm seeing yellow in spots and not other spots.
Looks like this car had yellow racing stripes before the silver stripe.

I was thinking ok, thats pretty cool, that makes sense:

Then I start uncovering below the racing stripes, and I'm looking at it, and it looks like it's really sparkly. Thats odd... is that color changing... No way the damn thing was painted with a chameleon paint job at some point. YOLO!! holy **** this trail of **** heads that owned this car before me is epic:
post #110 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I've never painted anything before.
This cheap harbor freight gun is pretty damn impressive. Laying down primer was easy, and from how smooth this is, in likely going straight to 800 grit.

Then 1000 then off to the painter next weekend:

Video doesn't really capture it. I was shocked by what a first timer with the cheapest HVLP gun can do with some simple instructions. I'm pretty sure I could do a better than OEM paint job with this gun. This was with a large 1.8 primer tip.

kertong and DonkeyDave like this.

Last edited by Ls1Rx7; 06-16-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #111 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:35 AM

You are my hero! Wanna work on my car
post #112 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybalin View Post
You are my hero! Wanna work on my car
I don't even wanna work on my car, but it's rewarding as hell.
Before this build I was affraid of fiberglass bodywork and paint. Now I can do them all
post #113 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Masking is almost as annoying as sanding, and I got a huge monkey off my back in terms of masking.
Shot the rear clam yesterday, then today I had to mask the whole car, to paint the jambs/rockers. And then pull all the masking off, flip the car around (because the garage is too small) and re-mask, do the other side.

Front clam done among most of the rest of the car:

Before getting started on the jambs/rockers, I had to strip the doors, because it's been decided that it would be better to pull them. Intestingly the door shells bolt to the beam, and the shell slides on an off the beam:

Prepped/sanded vs Not:

Pulling the panels and glass:

Once the doors are off, I'm even more tempted to drive it around like this:

Then I had to remove all of the seals and spent 2 hours just getting the sticky residue from the seals cleaned up. To give you some sense for how fiddly bodywork can be:

Starting to mask up before shooting the jambs, (this ended up taking 4-6 hours alone)

Spraying starts finally at about 5PM:

And then unmasked:
The tape line is under the door seal so it doesn't matter if it's less than perfect

And finally the rear clam is done:

darkSol, kertong and FistHammer like this.
post #114 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:31 AM
Carbon Fiber

This thread is awesome! Are you using a base and clearcoat for the paint?

post #115 of 214 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
This thread is awesome! Are you using a base and clearcoat for the paint?
I am actually bringing the primer to 1000 grit, which is actually much finer sand paper than you would use before putting down paint.
So typically you would sand your primer to about 320-400 grit before painting which is pretty smooth, but not as smooth as you'd think. This gives the paint some adhesion, and then the layers of paint and clear cover the fine scratches.

I'm actually going to be applying something called autoflex which is removable, and for it to be removable and look it's absolute best, I'm bringing the primer to 1000 grit, which is very very fine/smooth.
It's actually a lot more work do this than paint.

And if I ever want to actually paint the car down the road I would essentially just scuff the surface up a little bit with 400 grit
post #116 of 214 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Some updates from this weekend:

Updated my makeshift paint booth a bit:

where the car stayed while paint's flying:

My office the last 2 weeks:

A day's worth of paper, these cheap sanding disks aren't worth the paper they're made of:

Mocking up the carbon lip:

Looks pretty good for an Ebay lip:

Mocking up the panels for fit, and for fun:

Yeah... the corvette shop nailed the front end except for the angle on this edge... not so much a match... Looks like I'll be expanding my fiberglass skills even further by recreating this:

This is another little issue, looks like it's just classic lotus attention to quality, If you'll notice the 2 stripes, they represent the way the body lines need to be modified to align properly, Everything below the bottom yellow line needs to be trimmed, and the bottom of the top yellow line would be the new edge for the flat surface, this might be a bit difficult

Otherwise the gaps need work everywhere, but they're workable:

kertong likes this.
post #117 of 214 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:20 AM
craigyirush

Just read through your entire thread. Very impressed with both your skills and your dedication. Great to see a much abused car come back to life.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #118 of 214 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Need some outside perspective:
I'm a bit too close to this so I'm not sure I'm impartial any more.
How close do you think we got to the original color target (McLaren Volcano Orange), see pics of a car I took pictures of in the spring with photos of the sample.

Sample:
post #119 of 214 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 PM
The Enforcer

Wow.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #120 of 214 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Wow.

San
Wow good, or wow bad??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in