Sticky steering wheel airbag cover - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By henrymfisher
  • 1 Post By InfernoLotus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
gregoryk

Sticky steering wheel airbag cover

Just picked up a beautiful 05 AR Elise (my first) in Michigan and drove it home to Pgh. Pa. The car is great but the Steering wheel airbag cover is sticky. I've seen others with the same affliction. Does anyone have a real method of getting the sticky stuff off and restoring the original finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:40 PM
glb

Multicovered. See way below.

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-...y=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

For street cars, consider removing one or both oil coolers. Some cover them.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s InoKinetic’s for two examples.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320...ramming-70940/

12. These cars cannot be left off a Battery Tender for weeks at a time. Unless dead batteries are a particular joy of yours. Buy one right away. There are numerous threads here about which ppl use and like.

13, Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

14. Visit the Uber Thread

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/e...ow-here-25131/

15. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. is wildly expensive when purchased thru Lotus.
Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

16. The soft high-grip tires on most of our cars lose much of that grip when temperatures drop below 50 F. I know of too many ppl who spun their cars when not remembering this. I use hi-performance all-seasons.

Note that many summer tires cannot even be stored in temps below 20 F.

-----

Plus, “How to bleed brakes”:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:47 PM
The Enforcer

Just clean it with alcohol or alcohol pads.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:12 PM

Garage
Yes, just get some Denatured Alcohol at Home Depot and pour some on a clean rag. Wipe the goo right off. I have done this on 3 Elise so far. So many people paint them but that is WAY too much effort and probably won't last unless you get the goo off first. My stickiness has not come back in a year now and if it ever does I will spend the 5 minutes to clean it again. Good luck!
Attached Images

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Just clean it with alcohol or alcohol pads.

San
San is exactly correct! I found the industrial strength stuff works wonders.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
gregoryk

Thanks for the tip. Denatured alcohol made short work of the sticky mess and left the original finish intact. It took all of five minutes. Thanks again, great call!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Multicovered. See way below.

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-...y=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

For street cars, consider removing one or both oil coolers. Some cover them.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s InoKinetic’s for two examples.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f31...-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f32...ramming-70940/

12. These cars cannot be left off a Battery Tender for weeks at a time. Unless dead batteries are a particular joy of yours. Buy one right away. There are numerous threads here about which ppl use and like.

13, Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

14. Visit the Uber Thread

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...ow-here-25131/

15. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. is wildly expensive when purchased thru Lotus.
Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

16. The soft high-grip tires on most of our cars lose much of that grip when temperatures drop below 50 F. I know of too many ppl who spun their cars when not remembering this. I use hi-performance all-seasons.

Note that many summer tires cannot even be stored in temps below 20 F.

-----

Plus, “How to bleed brakes”:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com
Can we get the Denatured Alcohol fix for sticky steering wheels added to this list. It comes up enough that it would be great to have the info for all new members!

Central Florida
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM

I removed the airbag (disconnect battery for 45 minutes) (two allen screws at 9and 3 oclock)
Once out of the car I cleaned the entire rubber pad with alcohols using qtips and other tools to get down into the creases.
I then taped off the Lotus emblem and trimmed the excess tape, spray painted the entire assemble (top side only) in a nice mat black.
Removed the emblem tape and used qtip and alcohol again to carefully remove and overspray on the enblem. Reinstalled.

I personally like the mat black finish on the entire airbag assembly. I never cared for the cilver trim ring and every one I have seen have chips/scratches.
I did mine almost three years ago on the elise and just did it again on the Exige and it looks perfect.

Good luck.

Henry
'07 Exige S
'05 Elise
Kidzvillage1 likes this.

Henry
'05 Elise
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Garage
Another nice look to get rid of the chipped/scratched silver ring is to use some carbon fiber auto wrap. Very durable and goes well with the wheel!
Attached Images

XtinctElise likes this.

Central Florida
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I have to disagree with #11, I have never had an issue, and prefer not to have car that can be stolen with a screwdriver. Pressing a button is a simple compromise.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM

I don't have a Lotus. I have a Ford Conversion Van we just purchased. The steering wheel air bag cover was sticky. This seems to be a problem in a lot of makes, models, of vehicles. I read through a lot of forums on all the vehicles. It appears this problem also includes dashboards, airbag covers in dashes, along with airbag covers in the steering wheels that become sticky. I don't know what could have been applied to my steering wheel before we bought the van. A lot of forums blame armor all, they say it has a petroleum base that softens the paint and makes it sticky. We have used armor all on a lot of our vehicles with no problem, but I think in the future we will avoid it. I think after this we will be more careful on the products we use. Something softened the paint on my steering wheel airbag cover and I don't think it was heat. It was some kind of chemical. I saw many suggestions to clean this, denatured alcohol, heavy duty goof off, sanding & repainting, meguiars plastx. The tip I liked the best was one I found on this lotustalk.com. I looked at all these chemicals, thought they were to harsh, and might damage plastic. The tip I liked to clean it, was one person on lotustalk used 3M adhesive remover part number# 03618. This adhesive remover can be used on vinyl, paint, and some plastics. I got it from Advance Auto Parts, $12.99 for a 12 ounce can. I sprayed it on a white cotton T Shirt rag and wiped it on to the cover. Keep spraying, wiping, and using clean spots on the rag. After you get most of it off, change to a clean rag to get the rest off till no more comes off. My paint was black, with black under it. If you have a different color interior paint, you may find the base material under it is not the same color. You may have to live with it or you could paint it with an automotive vinyl paint. I didn't even use the whole 12 ounce can to get the job done. It worked excellent.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Yes, just get some Denatured Alcohol at Home Depot and pour some on a clean rag. Wipe the goo right off. I have done this on 3 Elise so far. So many people paint them but that is WAY too much effort and probably won't last unless you get the goo off first. My stickiness has not come back in a year now and if it ever does I will spend the 5 minutes to clean it again. Good luck!
It won't come back. They have a rubberized spray on the airbag cover that absorbs oils and becomes sticky. The alcohol is removing the rubberized coating permanently.

This is the same junk that they later used on all the plastic panels in the interior as well as the late 2000s Infinitis, 986/996 Porsche interior plastics and all the Ferraris with sticky buttons. I just removed it from the palm rest on a Microsoft keyboard that had also become sticky. This stuff is ridiculously popular and always turns bad. I don't understand how it got so popular.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:13 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
I have to disagree with #11, I have never had an issue, and prefer not to have car that can be stolen with a screwdriver. Pressing a button is a simple compromise.
You can still arm the alarm/immobilizer with the button when you walk away from the car. The suggestion is to disable the auto alarm function so you don't have to sit there and press buttons on the fob to get it started.

I can handle locking my car when I leave it and hate the process of pressing the fob before starting it, it feels very aftermarket.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
It won't come back. They have a rubberized spray on the airbag cover that absorbs oils and becomes sticky. The alcohol is removing the rubberized coating permanently.

This is the same junk that they later used on all the plastic panels in the interior as well as the late 2000s Infinitis, 986/996 Porsche interior plastics and all the Ferraris with sticky buttons. I just removed it from the palm rest on a Microsoft keyboard that had also become sticky. This stuff is ridiculously popular and always turns bad. I don't understand how it got so popular.
I don't understand your post . Are you stating that using the alcohol is good or bad? I have 2 Elise, both were sticky, and the stickiness never came back after I rubbed them down with alcohol. IMHO, removing the stickiness with alcohol is a 5 minute job and it looks great and can be done in place vs. disassembly and painting .

Central Florida
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
I don't understand your post . Are you stating that using the alcohol is good or bad? I have 2 Elise, both were sticky, and the stickiness never came back after I rubbed them down with alcohol. IMHO, removing the stickiness with alcohol is a 5 minute job and it looks great and can be done in place vs. disassembly and painting .
The stickiness is a rubbery coating that they apply to plastic. The alcohol takes the coating off so it isn't going to get sticky again.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:49 PM

Garage
Agree!

Central Florida
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:33 AM

A friend of mine has a 2008 Lambo Gallardo, the buttons get sticky, he said that if the car is in a cool environment, the stickiness doesn't happen. So he put in an AC unit for his garage. I'll tell him about the denatured alcohol wipe solution. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in