Stop-and-Go Traffic - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stop-and-Go Traffic

Hey guys,

I have had my Elise for a few years now, and a couple of times it has started getting a little hot in traffic. Fortunately I don't see much traffic in this car because I'm usually out in the back roads but hey, it happens... It's never over-heated because I stopped and turned it off before it got to that point but the fans were on and the temp was slowly climbing still. I know this is common.

Well now my radiator is leaking (only a matter of time) and I'm debating between a single pass or a triple pass radiator. My question is this: Would our cars be getting hot while stuck in traffic be due to lack of flow through the cooling system, or poor heat rejection at the radiator?

If it's low flow, I'll get a single pass. If it's poor heat transfer, I'll get a triple pass.

The car has never even tried to get hot while I was underway before, no matter how much fun I'm having. So I'm not terribly worried about a big honkin' radiator. I'd just like better cooling at idle on those hot days stuck in traffic.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM

It seems from the research I have done that the 100% empirical answer is....

there is no 100% correct answer.

I replaced my factory radiator with a Wizard single pass radiator and am running a 170 deg thermostat (according to the gauge it opens about 172 or 173ish).

With the Wizard Rad and normal driving I see temps in the mid to upper 170s. Stop and go it will creep up to the low 190's.

With the factory setup and normal driving I would see temps in the mid to upper 170s. Stop and go would creep up to the low 200's.

I think, (YMMV), that for a well maintained, stock motored car, there is no incorrect answer. Either will work for you.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
$3(uR3 u$3r

Hi.

For the trouble to replace the radiator, does the $75 difference matter? Not sure why the single pass is even offered at this time.

-Alex

2008 Elise SC - Solar Yellow

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Because of the nature of a water pump. They are centrifugal pump right? They don't build much pressure so they are sensitive to flow restrictions. A triple pass restricts flow compared to a single pass, so if low flow was the reason for getting hot, a triple pass would only make it worse.

I'm not really worried about it either way, I was just wondering if someone had 2 cents to throw in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM
$3(uR3 u$3r

Hi.

Just more info...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...rad-fp-124424/

Looks like the water pump has a flow rate of 200 ltr/min.

Hope this info helps. Good luck with your research.

-Alex

2008 Elise SC - Solar Yellow
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Elise Freak View Post
Because of the nature of a water pump. They are centrifugal pump right? They don't build much pressure so they are sensitive to flow restrictions. A triple pass restricts flow compared to a single pass, so if low flow was the reason for getting hot, a triple pass would only make it worse.

I'm not really worried about it either way, I was just wondering if someone had 2 cents to throw in.
There was a very comprehensive thread describing the plus and minus of each within the last 6 months or so. Very well done. I believe.the single pass won.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM

Garage
Just put in a triple. Would do the single if were to do it again. Don't know why.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Tj explained to me that if the car lived on the track and with a proper water wetter the 3 pass works well

If daily driving and track go with the single pass

The way I understand it that outside the track with all the bugs, road trash, squirrels and dust, that the 3 pass gets plugged much quicker. I believe that was his experiance when he was working out at Autobahn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Sitting still with zero air flow they will be about the same. My new single pass works great, just needs to be moving air through it.

Either one you get, your thermostat will be dictating the cars temps. And again, both will heat up the same in traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in