Storm Titanium and graphite grey pic - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:59 AM

At the LA show on 1/6, I asked Nick Adams point blank about whether Graphite Grey and Gunmetal were the same color, and he said that they were not; Graphite is darker, but has more "chrome" highlights that cause more contrast under certain lighting conditions.

The lighting at the show was problematic for determining what the colors would actually look like in daylight, but the models (which I was told were painted with actual automotive paint from the line booths) surprised me- Storm Titanium was darker than I expected, and Graphite really did pick up the light from certain angles- it's a very dark shade, but with LOTS of metallic in it.

For what it's worth...

-Knute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:04 AM

Storm titamium / graphite colors are indeed beautiful and I'd pick it myself except - YOU'LL GET YOUR ASS RUN OVER IN THEM!

Got a buddy who's Ferarri got run off the road and totalled because they couldn't see him in plain view (gray car) and we know of others with the same story.

Pavement matching colors are probably a tough choice for a car this low that you can't hardly see anyway! LMAO

Eschew Obfuscation
Got mine 03-25-05 Ardent /biscuit /touring /3M / hard top
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knute
At the LA show on 1/6, I asked Nick Adams point blank about whether Graphite Grey and Gunmetal were the same color, and he said that they were not; Graphite is darker, but has more "chrome" highlights that cause more contrast under certain lighting conditions.

The lighting at the show was problematic for determining what the colors would actually look like in daylight, but the models (which I was told were painted with actual automotive paint from the line booths) surprised me- Storm Titanium was darker than I expected, and Graphite really did pick up the light from certain angles- it's a very dark shade, but with LOTS of metallic in it.

For what it's worth...

-Knute
Great info Knute- I guess Graphite is a brand new color! I like the description w/ the Chrome.

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:41 PM

How about Graphite with a YELLOW racing stripe?? You'll look exactly like pavement LMAO!!!

Eschew Obfuscation
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:54 PM

Two of the funniest quotes I have ever heard have come out of this thread...

Quote:
and purple... Too hairdresser for my liking
and..

Quote:
How about Graphite with a YELLOW racing stripe?? You'll look exactly like pavement
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cerven
Storm titamium / graphite colors are indeed beautiful and I'd pick it myself except - YOU'LL GET YOUR ASS RUN OVER IN THEM!

Got a buddy who's Ferarri got run off the road and totalled because they couldn't see him in plain view (gray car) and we know of others with the same story.

Pavement matching colors are probably a tough choice for a car this low that you can't hardly see anyway! LMAO
You're joking right? I've never had a problem with any shade of gray being prone to getting me or others into an accident.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:06 PM

No joke - sorry

Eschew Obfuscation
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:35 PM

Quote:
No joke - sorry
I know a guy who owned a silver ferrari mondial and drove it daily for 3 years and never had a close call. The car is reflecting a minimum of (I would guess) 30% white light during the day whether the car is black, grey or whatever. The cars don't have a freaking grey canvas draped over them. A reflective car will never look like the road whatever the condition. And at night, all cars are equal in terms of color. Maybe you're environmental factors include a disproportionately high percentage of well-off, bad drivers of grey cars.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:55 PM

I used to drive a grey/black Fiat X1/9 and constantly had problems with people not seeing me. Frequently I'd startle them as I drove by and they'd swerve. Did not have that problem when the car was blue.

Something I remember from college Psychology of Perception class - for physiological reasons, yellow is the most noticeable color to the human eye. Has to do with the way the color sensitive cones on your retina interact with each other. This is why warning signs, many fire engines and "speed up" traffic lights are yellow. Also why military camoflage is almost never yellow. Of course, those studies may not have taken into account Chrome Orange or Krypton Green....
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Being such a small sampling of drivers and incidents that is entirely possible. I've also seen posts on other Forums with my same basic comment.

Also - take it easy - isn't anyone allowed to have some fun on these Forums or is Elisetalk only serious talk? I hope not.

In all seriousness however, I believe that anything that assits visibility by other drivers would be beneficial in a car this low. Never having owned one I'm only guessing.

I did read several posts and topics from England discussing personal experiences. It seems that some drivers trying to get a look at this car drift over and run you off the road inadvertently and other such dumb moves. They said that it may be a very good idea to have high visibility colors and I may have read the same thing elsewhere in these Forums.

Sorry to have ruffled any feathers or raised any hackles - not intended.

Eschew Obfuscation
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM

I wrote that in the spirit of a "lighthearted" retort, unfortunately the tone of my response in my head did'nt come across as I would have delivered it in person . I see your point, but I just think the size of the car is the overriding factor in regards to its visibility. Regardless of color I agree with whoever posted that you need to drive this car like you ride a motorcycle.
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:14 PM

Jim, I'm with you 100% on the motorcycle statement too. Defensive driving will be by far the most important thing on the street with this car. JD - do you have an elise on order? What's your place #?

Actually, Ardent red and beige interior is my first choice, graphite is actually my #2 so the heck with my visibility statement I guess LOL.

Eschew Obfuscation
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
JD - do you have an elise on order? What's your place #?

Actually, Ardent red and beige interior is my first choice, graphite is actually my #2 so the heck with my visibility statement I guess LOL.
Yes, I'm #12 and two worthless bastards in front of me have yet to drop off the list like they were supposed to . Dealer says the whole list has been more solid than they anticipated.

I was going graphite/red int, but now I'm thinking I might just go w/ the base interior. I like the winders better than the electric windows.
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:
take it easy - isn't anyone allowed to have some fun on these Forums or is Elisetalk only serious talk? I hope not.
Sorry to have ruffled any feathers or raised any hackles - not intended.
Hey cerven, I didn't mean to imply you were an idiot for thinking such a thing. I actually think if you were trying to avoid accidents with people trying to check out your ride while they were driving it seems like bright color would be your enemy, not a more stealthy color.
To each his own...have a beer on me
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:47 AM

Never assumed you were implying anything of the sort since it's certainly not the case. Gotta love this forum though. Peace

Eschew Obfuscation
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 06:40 AM

I also had problems with the storm titanium/ graphite grey choices. I spent a good while at the booth looking at those. In the end I went with storm titanium because the Esprit was that color and I liked that, and I couldn't really see 700 bucks worth of difference on the RC cars.

Steve
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:08 AM

THANK YOU STEVE W !!!!!!

I've been posting all over the place trying to get someone to tell me what color that Esprit was!

Being in TX it's hard to tell the difference online - but those pics between the arctic silver and the esprit really are good comparison.

I agree, Graphite isn't worth $700 if that esprit was storm titanium.

thx for solidifying my order.

Robert
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:52 AM

Knute,

This is a Graphite Grey TVR. Is this similar to the color on the Elise model? TIA.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 PM

They unfortunately did not have a full-sized Elise at the show in Graphite Grey, so all I have to go on is the scale model, but in my opinion the TVR in your picture is much darker than Lotus's Graphite Grey. Graphite is not dissimilar from the pictures I have seen floating around of Gunmetal, but _is_ slightly darker than the Gunmetal. And, compared to the picture of the TVR, Graphite Grey is much more metallic and "shimmery"; it really picks up the light.

I didn't ask about the Esprit floor model at the show, but according to at least one poster, they were told it was Storm Titanium, but to me looked darker than the scale model Elise in Storm Titanium. I mention this because with the horrid lighting conditions, plus the difference in perceived color between a scale model and a full sized car, it's a little difficult to be precise in describing the color- I'd love to see Graphite Grey in person, in daylight...

I have heard that there were a number of hi-res pictures on a CD in the presskit, and I'm hoping that as those filter out we might get some reasonably accurate glimpses at more of the colors under controlled lighting conditions.

-Knute
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info Knute.

Did anyone get the press kit?? Please post!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in