Strange relay(?) sound upon ignition-on sequence - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NoRawkus305

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Strange relay(?) sound upon ignition-on sequence

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has a clue what this sound could be. It just started occurring after the key is switched to the run position. From what I can tell, it only happens while the car is cold and lasts about 6 seconds. I feel like I might be going crazy since it sometimes sounds like fluid movement as well. The sound appears to be emanating from under the dash

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune

Last edited by TachItUp; 05-21-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:48 PM

No idea what it is. My Elise does not make that sound.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
Mine makes a sound for about the same length of time but it does not sound so loud. I always thought it was a fuel pump pressurizing the system. Maybe your pump is getting louder and you are just noticing it? I use the sound to tell me when to push the start button, following system pressurization. Does anyone else have that impression of how it works? I will listen to my second car tonight to see if it does it too.

Comment on video: Did your car die and it is seeing the bright light and going towards it?
Attached Images

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 05-21-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: comment

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Mine makes a sound for about the same length of time but it does not sound so loud. I always thought it was a fuel pump pressurizing the system. Maybe your pump is getting louder and you are just noticing it? I use the sound to tell me when to push the start button, following system pressurization. Does anyone else have that impression of how it works? I will listen to my second car tonight to see if it does it too.

Comment on video: Did your car die and it is seeing the bright light and going towards it?
I thought the fuel pump was located behind the seats, and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front of the car. With the way sound echos around the aluminum tub, anything is possible though.

As far as the filmography, I figured that a soothing light would be more pleasant than a shot of me staring at the car with a concerned face.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 AM

fuel pump is my guess

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Yes, fuel pump is behind the seats. Based on the clip, it does sound like in front but I guess it's possible to echo up front. I don't recall mine making that sound. But I do switch the car on fairly quickly. When I get home later, I'll double check and let you know.

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
Yes, fuel pump is behind the seats. Based on the clip, it does sound like in front but I guess it's possible to echo up front. I don't recall mine making that sound. But I do switch the car on fairly quickly. When I get home later, I'll double check and let you know.
Much appreciated.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
I thought the fuel pump was located behind the seats, and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front of the car. With the way sound echos around the aluminum tub, anything is possible though.

As far as the filmography, I figured that a soothing light would be more pleasant than a shot of me staring at the car with a concerned face.
Fuel pump prime is only for 3 seconds. 6 seconds would be something else.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM

@TachItUp So just finished checking and definitely donít have that sound. Not even a little bit. Not sure what that is. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TachItUp likes this.

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in