Supercharger or the kitchen sink - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mobius97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Supercharger or the kitchen sink

I am literally paralyzed and unable to make a decision and am hoping for some opinions. I've been looking at Elise's for a bit now and have been unable to decide between cars. I am looking for just a weekend fun car - just street driving and possibly an auto-x here and there. For around the same price and model year I am currently looking at 2 cars. One is a supercharged elise (VF1) with no other mods that has an accident on the title but has been dual confirmed as just minor fiberglass damage that was repaired so well that it is not noticeable. The rest of the history is unknown but it has been checked out and a reputable dealer says it is good to go. The other is a car with 10K more mileage, a thorough maintenance history, some track days, and most mods except a supercharger (has adjustable suspension, toe-links, radiator, hoses, baffled pans, new full body film, ACT clutch, exhaust, BOE tune etc). One I can inspect, test drive and purchase the other would have to be delivered and cross my fingers (though the seller is legit).
So in your mind does a base supercharger, 10K less mileage and unknown history = more fun and better value than a very well sorted car with extensive history and reliability upgrades? When it comes time to eventually sell will the combo of supercharger and less miles offset the non-clear title (at the risk of more things breaking and me having to sink money into it)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:28 PM

If it were me I would go with the car w/ documentation. The mods done to the car are great and seem well thought-thru and are known. Whoever owned the car before obviously took care of it and knew what they were doing. Those mods (to me) are worth more than a supercharger, probably from a cost perspective as well. You can always drop a S/C in it later down the road and have peice of mind with a sorted AND documented car.
Jetblast and kapps like this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 PM
Plug Whisperer

easy: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94...-000-a-470942/

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:00 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Pretty good deal considering the cost of the REV400 alone.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Yeah that looks like a pretty nice build and with Turbophil's recommendation it has to be good. Honestly though as a first time buyer and non-mechanically inclined individual I find the Rev400 builds very intimidating. I'm looking for a bit more show and less go if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in