Superchargers - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:09 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Wheels View Post
You are correct, for a quick street car, supercharging is great! Especially if it came from the factory with a supercharger (yeah - all 238 U.S. Elise SCs).

If we are talking maximum performance, IMO, turbocharging is the only way to go.

A turbochargers thread would bring some opinions. LOL

Sorry, no trades.
Depends on what you mean by "maximum performance". When I had a turbo on our XP car, it was always a battle to get on the throttle early enough to build boost and out early enough to keep the torque rush from ripping the tires loose. For me, anyway, in AutoX the turbo was terrible. Alot of people make it work very well, I was not one of them. On the track this may be less of an issue since it is an autox on a 4X scale. More time take advantage of the slight advantage of power and efficiency and larger corner radii to minimize the boost onrush issues.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Since I live in the fascist state of CA, I added the factory supercharger many years ago. While people may pooh-pooh it, it changes the character of the car completely. All of a sudden, you have mid-range torque, even though the high end doesn't feel all that much more powerful. 2nd cam kicks in at 4400 RPM, and not 6200, and the transition is absolutely seamless, just the noise changes, which means the crossover point is tuned correctly.

Since I installed my factory SC about 8 years ago now, I've racked up ~13,000 miles on track with this thing, and it's been completely reliable the whole time. I've done two engine rebuilds since stuff wore out, but the S/C is still working great.

So, even if you get the factory SC, you will love the car, you will just spend the most money to get the least additional horsepower
Trick Wheels likes this.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Less is Better

@Jamari - why not drive the car as is for a while and get to know it before adding power. If you get used to driving it on cam you may find that the car makes plenty of power as is. It's an incredible car as is.

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinr View Post
it's been completely reliable the whole time. I've done two engine rebuilds
This is a great quote
me73 and LostPawn like this.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:50 PM

It has been reliable It never broke down on me. I have about 15,000 track miles on that car, that is a LOT. That's a couple of hundred hours near redline. When you do that, bearings wear out, cylinder tolerances get looser, but the car still runs, just down on power, so at some point, you decide to rebuild. The joys of tracking...

My point is that the engine never blew, never overheated, with a supercharger that was used quite heavily.
not-a-number likes this.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

I live at altitude (~4500ft) so I was considering the supercharger. After doing some more research it looks like the REV300 would be fine for me power wise. My only concern with it is how necessary is a different clutch? Could it be "downtuned" as it were to not produce a ton of power? I would like to avoid going down a rabbit hole of having to replace a ton of stuff, and I don't want a lot more power in the car since it's not tracked or autocrossed just driven for pleasure. Also it's low mileage (just under 9k)

Regarding the Torque 200 tune I've seen mentioned: Unfortunately I can't drive a car with it but I do like the concept of the tune giving it a bit more torque. I just don't know enough about it unfortunately. =/

Incidentally I took the hardtop off this week and it's SUCH a blast.

Thanks to everyone who replied, you've been super helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in