• 1 Post By indifferent
  • 1 Post By KWin
  • 4 Post By turbophil
  • 1 Post By Parko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Supercharging - what else do I need?

I just bought a BOE300 supercharger kit that I (actually Jason Pannell) will be putting in this winter. I will be going with an ACT HD-SS clutch (not planning on going to a light weight flywheel) and replacing the stock radiator. I will have to replace the exhaust. Should I also go to a sport cat? I still have to pass emissions in Georgia (not as strict as CA). I don't want to send my ecu to Phil and then later make changes and have to get it redone.

Anything else that I should get/do? The car already has suspension and shifter upgrades (love the shiftr111 with Letsla!). I have been happy running EBC red stuff pads but not sure if they will stand up to faster speeds/heavier braking. I still drive the car on the street , so I can't go to track pads.

I think I just used more emoji in this message than I have in all of my other posts combined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Congrats on the purchase. One thing I would research is stiffer motor mounts. Start out with the yellow and work from there.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

Boe REV 300 Supercharger.
Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe TOC wet sump oil pan.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
Boe HP fixed rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.
BWR Larini Group B Muffler.
BWR Street/Track Anti roll bar.
Mocal rear mounted oil cooler.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
InoKinetic DS rear toe links.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG53 View Post
Congrats on the purchase. One thing I would research is stiffer motor mounts. Start out with the yellow and work from there.
I have the front and back Sport inserts already. More vibration but worth it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:12 PM

I've passed three emissions checks in GA running a decat pipe. As long as there is no CEL (either from tuning it out or a O2 sensor spacer) the car will pass since they can't visually verify the presence of a cat due to the undertray.
102ndcar and SS Lotus Elise like this.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:20 PM

Did you install the shifter111 with the letsla at the same time? I have the shifter but not letsla yet.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
Did you install the shifter111 with the letsla at the same time? I have the shifter but not letsla yet.
I did the shiftr111, Letsla, and (fka) sector111 cables at the same time. Lotus should have done this to start with.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:18 AM

I don't think running a sport cat is worth it (power wise). It WILL throw a code unless you run the sensor extenders. For a nice daily driver, I'd just stay with the stock cat... maybe even stock exhaust.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:23 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I don't think running a sport cat is worth it (power wise). It WILL throw a code unless you run the sensor extenders. For a nice daily driver, I'd just stay with the stock cat... maybe even stock exhaust.
Yes.

My car was the first BOE had in the shop with stock exhaust, they said.

They may have been dubious.

But, after driving it, they thought it sounded very good, even pleasant.

Their intake makes a bit more noise and together, I really like the sound.

I drive a lot and didn't want a really loud exhaust, having had that on my Bugeye and Elan...

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Thanks for the info. My car is mainly track and driving to/from the track, but some mountain drives or weekend cruises.

That is part of my question, will going to a sports cat or no cat be worth the $ for improved performance?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:25 AM
Supporting Vendor

Our sportCAT weighs less than stock cat and flows more. If you're tracking the car, our deCAT would be smarter long term solution.

A straight through muffler, like our sonicFURY will flow better than stock and certainly sound more wicked!

Rev match all of your downshifts to extend the life of your trans...

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Lotus Elise View Post
Thanks for the info. My car is mainly track and driving to/from the track, but some mountain drives or weekend cruises.

That is part of my question, will going to a sports cat or no cat be worth the $ for improved performance?
On a canned BOE tune and with no supporting mods (built engine, high boost), I don't think you'd notice any difference from the seat of your pants... just a smell. If I had a street car still, I'd just be stoked with a REV 300 and good tires/shocks. Keep it quiet and nice. It's already raw enough. IMO.
glb and SS Lotus Elise like this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 AM

Definitely factor smell into the equation. The car will stink like an old farm truck with no cat and a rich tune.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:42 AM

LSD -- won't be able to do donuts without it....

2005 Elise, Graphite Grey (soon to be nightfall blue), Ohlins DA, VF2 SC, Volk wheels, LSD, and pretty much everything else on this lemon.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
Definitely factor smell into the equation. The car will stink like an old farm truck with no cat and a rich tune.
I did not know that. I spend too much time in the car driving to events to want a stinky car. Thanks for the tip. I will either stay with the stock cat or go to the sport cat.

I have the Larini exhaust now (which I will sell once the supercharger goes on), which I love the sound of when it is on cam or downshifted. I don't want stock quiet/restriction but I don't want race car loud either. I have to stay under 98 decibels for my local track.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 PM
glb

Sport cat is, IMO, a waste of $$.

On a NA Elise, removing the cat yields one just a few hp.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Replace your thermostat. It is under the supercharger and should be replaced during any supercharger install. Having not done this on mine I've basically installed my supercharger twice.

Also I'd recommend getting a catch can, boe and radium make good ones.

Maybe the baffled oil pan? Depends on if you are tracking the car I don't have one yet so others might better advise on this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:47 AM
Plug Whisperer

The stock cat is already a "sport cat", IMO... It's short and fat (not restrictive) and it has a ceramic core, which are all the recipe for what you want. I've yet to see an aftermarket cat that is better...

The stainless cores are total junk for these cars, so beware when buying.

As for power, there is no power to be found all the way to 300+whp by going to an aftermarket cat or decat for that matter if running the stock header. I have countless hours on our dyno to substantiate this.

If running the stock header, the only reason to go decat is if on track or you just prefer the sound and noise of one. The decat creates less heat in area you don't want heat and it's lighter, which are all better for track. The track is also tough on cats, so there's that...Outside of track, running a cat is the way to go and you're not leaving any power on the table. Also of note, the stock creates a secondary set of tubes to the cat with the internal divider. It's a pretty good part for what it is... If you blow out your stock cat, I'd try to find another stock cat if you're really compelled to run the stock header.

Now, if running aftermarket headers, then you will obviously be dealing with an aftermarket cat. Just be sure it's a ceramic core or you'll be wasting your hard earned dollars...

Cheers,

Phil
ChrisH, glb, glagola1 and 1 others like this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

Last edited by turbophil; 11-29-2017 at 05:55 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Phil, I was hoping you would chime in. I am trying to decide on everything before sending my tune list into you.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage
Decats can be smelly, sure, but they tend to shoot f***ing fireballs out the back. Which is awesome. I think the hierarchy of cars goes:
1st - cars that shoot flames
2nd - everything else
Habious likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in