Tires for Touring Package - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Tires for Touring Package

I'm a bit surprised to see that I have all of one single tire option for my 2005 Elise, which has the touring package. While I dont mind the Yokahama's, I'm not used to having just one option. I don't know much about wheels and what tires fit them. Might a different size tire (only very slightly different) fit on these Elise wheels? I don't see others complaining about this, and the touring package is quite common), so I'm thinking that maybe there are options I dont know about.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:40 AM

Continental sport contact are very nice and fit. 195/50/16 up front 225/45/17 in the back.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 AM

touring package doesn't change the tires

tires just depend on what you are doing.

I drive in all kinds of weather so I wanted a tire that could handle rain.

The Firestone firehawk indy plays well in the wet

I would go to tirerack and see what they have in summer tires in the sizes you need then come back here and check for feedback.

tires change and go away so it is hard to get blind advice

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERIB View Post
I'm a bit surprised to see that I have all of one single tire option for my 2005 Elise, which has the touring package. While I dont mind the Yokahama's, I'm not used to having just one option. I don't know much about wheels and what tires fit them. Might a different size tire (only very slightly different) fit on these Elise wheels? I don't see others complaining about this, and the touring package is quite common), so I'm thinking that maybe there are options I dont know about.

Thank you.
If you are not wanting to stick with the stock AD07s, then I would get something that meets your needs (like others have said) but stick with a 195/50-16 in the front. You can get a 205/50-16 to fit on the front but they are pretty tall and might rub.
The new Yokohama Advan Sport V105 and the A052 are the replacements for the AD07 and A048.

Also, touring package doesn't equal base wheels. It just means your car doesn't have the sport package. The base car didn't have either the touring or sport packages. I think the LSS wheels might have been a standalone option too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
touring package doesn't change the tires

tires just depend on what you are doing.

I drive in all kinds of weather so I wanted a tire that could handle rain.

The Firestone firehawk indy plays well in the wet

I would go to tirerack and see what they have in summer tires in the sizes you need then come back here and check for feedback.

tires change and go away so it is hard to get blind advice
Thanks to you and everyone who replied. I guess i did not explain my ignorance too well. I do go to Tirerack.com and what I see there when I search by car is a single tire option, the Yokahama AVAN AD07's. From what I read in this thread, other sizes of tires will fit on my wheels. That's what I did not know before. I thought I had to buy new wheels to get more tire options. Now I understand that I can change sizes, slightly, to get more options.

I really like the AVAN AD07's. The only problem is that I live in an area where it gets cold during winter and I'm told these tires should not be exposed to 10F or colder temps. I am *not* going to drive this car one block during the winter time. It will be stored from November to May. But I dont have heated storage and so any tires I have on the car will be exposed to colder temperatures. So I guess, sadly, I have to toss the AVAN's and go with an all season tire. I don't like that option, but I have no other choice it seems.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:08 AM

I don't think storage is the big deal, but even then, taking the wheels off is not big deal

You really needed a seasonal coffee table anyway, didn't you?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Less is Better

I wouldn't just replace the tires because it gets cold where you live. If they are old, that's a different story.

The risk to summer tires at cold temperatures is that they become brittle. If flexed when below the glass transition temperature, they will crack and need to be replaced. If the car just sits when it's cold but isn't moved until it warms up, chances are your tires are fine. The tires soften up when warmed up again.

It's best to unmount the wheels if it's going to get that cold and just leave the tires alone. It's also best to store tires with no air pressure in them. It reduces the permeation of oxygen into the rubber.

Cracks can also come from dry rot, when tires sit in dry conditions for a long time. Cracks will normally show up in the recesses or the tread or along the sidewalls near the tread. It's generally a good idea to inspect tires regularly anyway. They can also develop internally and it will be really hard to detect.

As to what tire sizes to look at, check out tires that match the same rolling diameter as the originals and match the manufacturer's recommended rim width to yours. Generally a tire width has a range of recommended wheel widths. So you may not end up with exactly the same tire dimensions as the AD07s but you'll get a tire that fits correctly.

Last edited by me73; 07-01-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 AM

TERIB I was worried also about cold temps for a couple of months that get below 40 and wanted tires that could handle the sudden downpours here so I put on Conti's DWS-06 on the LSS rims for street driving and have 15/16 R888 setup for the track. Great solution for both venues!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I wouldn't just replace the tires because it gets cold where you live. If they are old, that's a different story.

The risk to summer tires at cold temperatures is that they become brittle. If flexed when below the glass transition temperature, they will crack and need to be replaced. If the car just sits when it's cold but isn't moved until it warms up, chances are your tires are fine. The tires soften up when warmed up again.

It's best to unmount the wheels if it's going to get that cold and just leave the tires alone. It's also best to store tires with no air pressure in them. It reduces the permeation of oxygen into the rubber.

Cracks can also come from dry rot, when tires sit in dry conditions for a long time. Cracks will normally show up in the recesses or the tread or along the sidewalls near the tread. It's generally a good idea to inspect tires regularly anyway. They can also develop internally and it will be really hard to detect.

As to what tire sizes to look at, check out tires that match the same rolling diameter as the originals and match the manufacturer's recommended rim width to yours. Generally a tire width has a range of recommended wheel widths. So you may not end up with exactly the same tire dimensions as the AD07s but you'll get a tire that fits correctly.
I'm not able to remove the tires from the car. If I could do that, I'd just bring them into my house and store them in the basement. So there will be air pressure in them. Temperatures last winter hit -20 F in Michigan for a few days. That is massively below 10 F. I just don't know if it would be safe to store tires like this in such cold. As I said before, this car will be 100% idle during the winter time, not driven until it is well past 50 F. It seems that for maximum safety, I need to change tire sizes and move to all season tires.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:59 AM

Continental Extreme Contact Sports don't have the temperature limitation and are well rated performance tires. Seems like a better choice over all season tires.

Interestingly, Tire Rack seems to be the only place where a temperature limitation for storing tires is listed. Yokohama's website doesn't say a thing about a temp limitation.

Last edited by PeteB37; 07-02-2019 at 04:19 AM.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:29 AM

This isn't true. I was in contact with Continental and there is in fact a limitation. Their response is below:

"We do not recommend to use the summer tire below 45 deg F. If tires were exposed in the freezing temperatures below 45 deg F, you need to warm them up slowly above 45 deg F at least 24 hours before using them."

Despite this I bought them and they are decent. I even did a track day on them and they weren't terrible. It helps that I'm new to tracking and not really fast yet. If I track more I might get a second set of wheels and tires for that. The Conti is a nice street tire but I'm afraid still temperature limited.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:29 AM
glb

Yoko engineer confirmed the temperature limit on some of their tires.

She said that the polymers unravel...I think.

PeteB is right about avoiding all-seasons.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro574 View Post
This isn't true. I was in contact with Continental and there is in fact a limitation. Their response is below:

"We do not recommend to use the summer tire below 45 deg F. If tires were exposed in the freezing temperatures below 45 deg F, you need to warm them up slowly above 45 deg F at least 24 hours before using them."

Despite this I bought them and they are decent. I even did a track day on them and they weren't terrible. It helps that I'm new to tracking and not really fast yet. If I track more I might get a second set of wheels and tires for that. The Conti is a nice street tire but I'm afraid still temperature limited.
Tires have two low temperature limits - cold storage and cold use. Cold use will be a higher temperature. When a maker says "don't run below 45F" you can bet that storage below that is perfectly fine as long as you don't run them below that since the changes to the tire are temporary at that temp. How much below that you can go depends on the cold storage limit since, as GLB noted, permanent changes can happen.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:28 AM

I tried to get out of Continental what the storage temperature is and got no response from them. Yokohama is very good about defining the limits of storage temperature. I monitored my garage last winter for temperature and it got as low as 19 deg F. I was surprised how well it held heat considering it's a detached garage.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman951 View Post
Continental sport contact are very nice and fit. 195/50/16 up front 225/45/17 in the back.
Just to confirm, these tire sizes fit the non-LSS (base) wheels with no modification, spacers or rubbing?
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro574 View Post
I tried to get out of Continental what the storage temperature is and got no response from them. Yokohama is very good about defining the limits of storage temperature. I monitored my garage last winter for temperature and it got as low as 19 deg F. I was surprised how well it held heat considering it's a detached garage.
I have a carport, not a garage so if it's -20F like it was last winter, then my tires will see that temp. But it will have months of slow warm up time so that should help.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
Just to confirm, these tire sizes fit the non-LSS (base) wheels with no modification, spacers or rubbing?
Hey Verichai , Thank you for the PM.

I tried to reply but it says you need to delete some PM's before you can get more. Mail box full!
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 AM

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/sear...date=all+dates

you live in a world of cheap real estate, just sayin

Around here the good places are taken by september

I was actually shocked to see dusty semi classics in the Boston Common parking garage, public garage under the Boston Common
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
https://annarbor.craigslist.org/sear...date=all+dates

you live in a world of cheap real estate, just sayin

Around here the good places are taken by september

I was actually shocked to see dusty semi classics in the Boston Common parking garage, public garage under the Boston Common
None of those are viable options. Ann Arbor Luxury Vault charges $190/month. Nice place but way too expensive. I can easily just buy new tires every year. The other places are not in areas I'd leave a car like a Lotus.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Keep looking

Plenty of suburban homeowners make a few bucks renting garage space.

Lots of reasons not to store outside besides the tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in