Trying to locate rattle - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Trying to locate rattle

I have THE most annoying rattle in my 05 Elise. The rattle occurs when momentum shifts to the front or to the back. If I hit the brakes hard, whatever it is flies forward. If I hit the gas, back it goes. It sounds like a handful of dimes moving around. I was hoping whatever it was could be found under the seat, but with carpet there, that's out. I'm guessing that it's either in the piece of aluminum that goes across the car, from driver's side over to the passenger side, underneath the shifter, or in the center console itself. Hard to tell by sound. My guess is that it is coming from the center console because the length of travel is longer. The sliding sound when the pieces are moving seems too long to be in the transverse piece of aluminum. That part is not that large in the front to back direction.

I dont feel confident taking apart my car, but I'm wondering a lot what could be moving around inside there. Parts of the shifter? Or maybe parking brake? The sound is coming from the back of the console so maybe that's where parts might be missing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
Console removal is not that hard. Plenty of posts here tell you how. It is a good learning experience! You could also use the console removal as an excuse to put a leather gaiter on the parking brake. Get one from Redline Goods. They make them custom with LOTS of color and stitch options... I replaced mine with double orange stitching over perforated black but he literally can do anything.

Another thing to do while you are in there is the shifter reinforcement which will tighten up the shifter mechanism and makes a big difference. See http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf and you can search other posts by posting this into your browser search " site:lotustalk.com shifter reinforcement " (best way to find anything in this forum!)

Good luck in finding the noise!
Attached Images

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 05-16-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added content
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Addict

Garage
I would not rule out something under the seat. Stop hard enough for it to roll forward and pull over to search without it rolling back. Then check the center console.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM

My assumption is center console. When I removed my center console, there were pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters in the center runner. There were so much it didnít slide anymore . Previous owner left it all for me I guess. Not that difficult to remove at all. Good luck

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
I would not rule out something under the seat. Stop hard enough for it to roll forward and pull over to search without it rolling back. Then check the center console.
Underneath the seat is entirely carpeted so it's impossible for a metallic sound to come from that surface. The pieces moving around are definitely making a sliding on metal sound.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
My assumption is center console. When I removed my center console, there were pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters in the center runner. There were so much it didnít slide anymore . Previous owner left it all for me I guess. Not that difficult to remove at all. Good luck

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at older threads on removing the center console and most of them describe the process as quite difficult. I am sure for most here it's easily possible to do the work yourself, but it is impossible to overstate how much I am NOT a gear head. I have not done any significant work on a car in 30+ years. So my confidence level can be accurately stated as "rock bottom". Best left to those who have knowledge.

Anyway, it sounds like an easy fix for those with skills.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:29 AM

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailr27 View Post
Interesting. My gut feeling is that this might be the source of the sound, simply because the sound has a very "uncovered" sound to it. I feel like I could reach out and grab whatever it is that is rolling around. I would think that if the sound is coming from the console, it would be slightly muffled, which it is not.

That said, I have no idea how to address the problem and so will leave it to someone not as clueless as myself.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:26 AM

The space under the console is pretty tight, it is hard to believe things are really regularly sliding around under there .

Things do slide around under the seats, even with carpet

I wonder if a squirrel has left something in the side sills, they are open at the back to the outside
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
The space under the console is pretty tight, it is hard to believe things are really regularly sliding around under there .

Things do slide around under the seats, even with carpet

I wonder if a squirrel has left something in the side sills, they are open at the back to the outside
That would be a strange illusion as the sound is 100% underneath the seat and to the right. But I am intrigued by your suggestion, because it does sound like a lot of junk that is moving around. Where is this opening that the squirrel can get in? Is it above the diffuser?
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:57 AM

forward of the rear wheel right at the bottom both sides

pic in post three of this thread. where you can see the lift arm and the AC tubes

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...-smell-398449/
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM

I dropped a screwdriver in my passenger footrest that was pretty annoying too
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERIB View Post
Is it above the diffuser?
It could be above the the undertray. May try tapping the undertray hard with your knuckles and see if anything rattles. I did this routinely anyways just to see if any undertray screws are loose.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
It could be above the the undertray. May try tapping the undertray hard with your knuckles and see if anything rattles. I did this routinely anyways just to see if any undertray screws are loose.
I'm sorry, but I am an extreme noob. What is the undertray? I am afraid I do not know many of these terms.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
forward of the rear wheel right at the bottom both sides

pic in post three of this thread. where you can see the lift arm and the AC tubes

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...-smell-398449/
Is that the diffuser on the left, with the big bolt?
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:37 AM

no

diffuser is the back of the car, that would be the shear panel under the tank
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 AM

Bet its the drivers seat rail bearings....

"If I've passed you on the RIGHT, you are in the WRONG lane!"
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

This thread has me worried. I really wonder if a chipmunk has stashed a bunch of food inside my car. My area is crawling with these little guys. It doesnt help that my daughter feeds them peanuts!
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERIB View Post
I'm sorry, but I am an extreme noob. What is the undertray? I am afraid I do not know many of these terms.
The undertay is a metal panel that bolts under the engine. If you look below the car, you'll see it plain as day.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
The undertay is a metal panel that bolts under the engine. If you look below the car, you'll see it plain as day.
Thank you. I always thought that the metal sheet underneath the car was called the diffuser. Now I see there's more than one part underneath there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in