tvs1320 output on street - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By breeze91
  • 1 Post By dspecgsx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

tvs1320 output on street

my car has been in the shop forever. i figured let me upgrade to the tvs1320 while its there i currently have the vf2 mp62 kit with air to air side mounted intercooler. right now the car is street driven. basically i want to know what hp i can get away with if my car is mainly street driven. by street driven i mean mostly highway miles, 20 miles a day at most with some stop and go traffic. eventually my car will be set up for the track with surge tank, baffled fuel tank, penske's, sleeved block, upgraded transmission, etc...

right now im running a radium/ems4 standalone with manifold pressure and temperature sensors, dmc long tube headers, larini gt2 muffler with no cat, act xtss clutch, and denso f1 radiator. the car will be dyno tuned and i understand there are many variables when it comes to power output.

i guess im curious what other people's experiences are at certain power levels and i'll take it for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybalin View Post
my car has been in the shop forever. i figured let me upgrade to the tvs1320 while its there i currently have the vf2 mp62 kit with air to air side mounted intercooler. right now the car is street driven. basically i want to know what hp i can get away with if my car is mainly street driven. by street driven i mean mostly highway miles, 20 miles a day at most with some stop and go traffic. eventually my car will be set up for the track with surge tank, baffled fuel tank, penske's, sleeved block, upgraded transmission, etc...

right now im running a radium/ems4 standalone with manifold pressure and temperature sensors, dmc long tube headers, larini gt2 muffler with no cat, act xtss clutch, and denso f1 radiator. the car will be dyno tuned and i understand there are many variables when it comes to power output.

i guess im curious what other people's experiences are at certain power levels and i'll take it for what it's worth.
Your question is kind of confusing. You can get away with as much horsepower as you consider street friendly, which is to say whatever you can live with.
If done right you should be looking at 300+ to the wheels easily.

It doesn't matter how much horsepower you are making, you are ultimately the person that will have to determine how much horsepower is streetable and how much is too much. What you can live with and what I can live with might be two different platforms.

Details as to what is streetable to you involves details such as transmission (stock/aftermarket/sequential), clutch, brakes, suspension etc. There are too many variables (location, intended use, percentage of use on the street, reliability, blah, blah, blah).

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

the car is street driven so i meant to say it won't be driven as aggressive like it would be in a track. im not going to sustain rpms above 8000 for 30+ minutes or cook the brakes. i want to get an idea of what kind of power level would i have to be at to start working about the engine and transmission failing. so my question is really a reliability one.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:27 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
the car is street driven so i meant to say it won't be driven as aggressive like it would be in a track. im not going to sustain rpms above 8000 for 30+ minutes or cook the brakes. i want to get an idea of what kind of power level would i have to be at to start working about the engine and transmission failing. so my question is really a reliability one.
I'm at 281rwhp on the MP62 with tune etc., so easily 300+ crank for nearly 7 years on the stock block, heads, clutch, manifolds, cat and transmission. I have no reliability issues.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 02:59 AM

I have tvs1320 and making 300hp at the wheels stock motor. Car has had multiple track days and is driven like it should be on weekends. I donít slam through the gears but am not taking it easy either. The one thing I notice is because you donít wring itís neck like the NA it is staying away from the rev limiter. On the road you are generally below Cam change as it has soooo much more torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parko likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze91 View Post
I have tvs1320 and making 300hp at the wheels stock motor. Car has had multiple track days and is driven like it should be on weekends. I donít slam through the gears but am not taking it easy either. The one thing I notice is because you donít wring itís neck like the NA it is staying away from the rev limiter. On the road you are generally below Cam change as it has soooo much more torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím generally below cam change myself. The torque sounds nice. I drove an NA Elise and the mp62 felt torquier. I can only imagine what the tvs1320 would feel like. Iím looking at 340-350whp on 13.7 lb boost. Hopefully the exhaust and tune get me there.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Iím generally below cam change myself. The torque sounds nice. I drove an NA Elise and the mp62 felt torquier. I can only imagine what the tvs1320 would feel like. Iím looking at 340-350whp on 13.7 lb boost. Hopefully the exhaust and tune get me there.
340 is a number that could be achieved... for a little while at least. It will feel very fast on the street.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Just redline the dang thing, and you'll nearly double your power output for free. If you want more torque, downshift. The upside to that is the transmission will live much longer and the engine makes cooler noises, too! I'm being a little facetious since I know what it feels like when you have more grunt in any given gear, but the point remains - this motor is designed to rev high and the more you want torque, the less the motor fits what you're asking of it.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Quote:

Just redline the dang thing, and you'll nearly double your power output for free. If you want more torque, downshift. The upside to that is the transmission will live much longer and the engine makes cooler noises, too! I'm being a little facetious since I know what it feels like when you have more grunt in any given gear, but the point remains - this motor is designed to rev high and the more you want torque, the less the motor fits what you're asking of it.
Interesting you brought up redline. I was wondering if there was anyone who raised the limiter to 9k with a tvs1320 and stock motor.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:57 AM
rvb

Quote:
Interesting you brought up redline. I was wondering if there was anyone who raised the limiter to 9k with a tvs1320 and stock motor.
Sounds like a good question for BOE or others that really know the limits of these engines.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
I ran my built motor to 9160rpm repeatedly back in 2011 (springs, valves, pistons, 9.0 Nikasil block, running EFI engine management).

It is NOT suggested to exceed the 8550 redline cutoff without stiffer value springs AND nuclear oil pump gears. RPM = Ruins People's Motors, IMHO.

Power dropped off quickly after 8500rpm but I needed the extra rpm to hold mph through the traps while drag racing... didn't want to have to shift to 5th gear.

With larger 245-45-17 drag radials I could only hit 119mph in 4th gear at 8550rpm. With a redline of 9160 I could hit 128mph... which finally yielded 123.6mph as I crossed the line.

Just plunking my $0.02 here since I'm one of the few to have lived in the "stratosphere"

I don't have to do that anymore with the BWR transmission...138.7mph in 4th now

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
I ran my built motor to 9160rpm repeatedly back in 2011 (springs, valves, pistons, 9.0 Nikasil block, running EFI engine management).

It is NOT suggested to exceed the 8550 redline cutoff without stiffer value springs AND nuclear oil pump gears. RPM = Ruins People's Motors, IMHO.

Power dropped off quickly after 8500rpm but I needed the extra rpm to hold mph through the traps while drag racing... didn't want to have to shift to 5th gear.

With larger 245-45-17 drag radials I could only hit 119mph in 4th gear at 8550rpm. With a redline of 9160 I could hit 128mph... which finally yielded 123.6mph as I crossed the line.

Just plunking my $0.02 here since I'm one of the few to have lived in the "stratosphere"

I don't have to do that anymore with the BWR transmission...138.7mph in 4th now
Thanks for the reply. Iím a big fan I have that bwr transmission in my radar. The stock gearing is too short.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
138.7mph in 4th now
Is that your trap speed in 1/4 or is that a max for 4th gear that you don't quite reach in 1/4?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parko View Post
Is that your trap speed in 1/4 or is that a max for 4th gear that you don't quite reach in 1/4?
I plan on exceeding 135mph and below 10.500 in the quarter - thatís more than sufficient and will surprise all these automagic McLaren* drivers here in KC.

*not f-ing around with the 720s or P1 Iíve seen driving around.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Check out this vid to see where this guy shifts at...over 9k
Parko likes this.

2016 Merc C450 AMG 4Matic
2014 Evora S
2013 Audi TTS
2010 Monster 696 EVO
2007 Merc SL55 AMG
Sold - 2006 Elise
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspecgsx View Post
Quote:
Check out this vid to see where this guy shifts at...over 9k
Sounds NA but it was cool to see that tach hit 9k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in