Website finally done? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Website finally done?

Check out the website! http://www.lotuscars.com/ Some broken pages right now, but it looks like they FINALLY finished...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Strike that... mostly broken links right now.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
rule 1. Get it 100% before going live. Do it on a different directory or server.

But having said that, it looks very nice!

Server is a bit slow to load. Maybe it's getting slammed.

The color selector is sweet! But how accurate are those colors?

Can't wait for the options link to work.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Note the official words-

Quote:

The U.S. Spec Elise is coming 04/04
That is great.

Also they seem to be creating an official Lotus forum.

Oh, but it's not an Elise site.

I hope there is enough interest in an unofficial elise forum. I expect there is. I hope.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Actually, rule 1 should be don't advertise it until it is done. How many of you got up on April 1st only to find it a bad april fool's joke...

Color selector is interesting, but hard to tell since they are not photos but a snazzy flash trick. That yellow doesn't look much different than the lightning yellow.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Right, the colors look more like a photoshop coloration attempt. Hard to tell from that what the colors really look like.

However, it may be a representation of exactly what colors we will have available. I note the absence of my choice. Oh well.

So is this the official list of what colors are coming to USA?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Take a look at the color choices on the new website for the esprit. They look worse on the esprit (very bad hack) and they show you how far off they are from real life...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Hmmm... it seems like this is not really a totally new site? But some new flash, menus and stuff. I wonder how old the information is and if it really represents much that is official? I can see someone telling the web guy "make us a web site!" and "use the stuff that is there... just make it look cooler/newer." Nothing wrong with that, but I just can't tell if the data is fresh. Is the newest date 04/04 and are those the colors? Just need more confidence.

2.5mb to load the page is too much for most people, and slow for me on cable (slow on their end). I would have rather had people loaded the different things in smaller bites. But that is me. It's a perception issue that a site is taking too long for one long download like that. Now if it's just the server getting slammed, that would not be too bad. I have a fast connection and it took too long.

It should also be noted that I have recently been told by my server expert that I seem to have the patience of a hummingbird on crack as far as page loading. It's never fast enough.

I think I am over the initial thrill.

I like the front page in any case. They should get the folks that did the Mini site. That was greatness.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

True, but it also looks like they laid the groundwork for a lot more features, such as the "click here to price options". Time will tell. The mini site definitely rocks. I think BMW has their marketing down to a science.

Oh, how many times while loading the site did the 2.5MB status bar fill up and start over? About 50 times for me at least. Bad programming. Personally, I would like to see a low bandwidth site done properly. Flash is one of the worst things ever because it is so misused.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 04:38 PM
insert clever title here

Cool *looking* site, but man, what a lot of overhead - cpu and bandwidth. It'd be OK if their HTML version was comparable, but it doesn't appear to offer nearly as much content as the bloated one! I hope they fix that - what's the point in offering alow-bandwidth option if the key *information* in each is different?

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
I guess the comparison with Mini is a little unfair because I am sure the marketing budget is very different for BMW and the Mini than for Lotus and USA market. Relative to market size. Plus does Lotus really need to spend much money to sell these cars? I don't think so, and I would rather they did not, because if they did, we all pay for it right?

But yes, Mini has an incredible ad campaign. Brilliant really.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 04:41 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Chase
But yes, Mini has an incredible ad campaign. Brilliant really.
Absolutely! I especially like the 'kill stickers' in a recent Automobile(?) magazine (you know, stickers of SUVs and such to represent your 'kills').

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 09:28 PM

I wonder if there is any correspondence between the US colors and the existing UK/Euro colors. On the lotuscars.com website, Magnetic Blue looks like a slightly more purple version of the Miata's "Mariner Blue" from 1990, which could be described as "Fisher Price Blue" because it looks a lot like colored plastic that kids toys are made of. Perhaps in reality it is the same as "Laser Blue" and the web site does not portray it well.

Artic Silver = Quartz?
Nightfall Blue = Cobalt Blue?
Magnetic Blue = Laser Blue?
Is Racing Green a solid or metallic color?
Storm Titanium = Gunmetal?

I guess that all the colors look like solid colors and not metallic because the base image was of a solid-colored car (probably the red).

2005 S2000 #42as
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 09:47 AM

I was unable to get the wallpaper feature to work for me yesterday. Anybody else have this problem, or maybe it was just a bad day for my computer ? Anyway it's just really exciting just to see forward movement on the new car, and to see "04/04" in (electronic) print, on Lotus' official website ! The new 'site is miles better than the old one

And yes the MINI site is/was great, but ultimately, it comes down to the car, and when I finally got to drive a MINI, I was disappointed. Not so, with the Elise !

Covered in Brandy and Lard
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Same problem here... The site is full of broken links. I was trying to get some wallpaper too...
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 11:52 AM

I had no trouble accessing the wallpaper. Note that you need click on the tiny number below the thumbnail indicating the size you want
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by garycurtis
I had no trouble accessing the wallpaper. Note that you need click on the tiny number below the thumbnail indicating the size you want
I made the same user mistake. I clicked on the image and wondered why there was no wallpaper, then I saw the options.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 12:16 PM

Thanks, I was able to get the wallpaper images today, yesterday it wasn't working for me for some reason.

Covered in Brandy and Lard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in