What am I looking at? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

What am I looking at?

I have a slight tire rubbing sound when hitting a bump while turning hard right. I think it's just due to wider tires hitting the mud flap, but took a look inside and all I noticed off was the below, all three clips attaching, what I assume is the abs sensor cable to the brake line are broken and became detached (you can't tell from the pic , but when I try to reattach them, it's obvious the wider side is cracked and won't hold. The car is an '05 with 19k miles and the same part on the other side is in perfect shape. A few questions:

- Does anyone know the part name or number and where to best buy a replacement?
- Should I buy replacements, use zip ties, or ignore?
- Is this a problem itself, or symptom of something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
Honestly, I can't tell from your photo what exactly you are talking about. However, if you go to lotusgarage.com, you'll find diagrams and parts for the entire car according to category and location. I would check there.

2006 Lotus Elise (Krypton Green)
2001 Porsche Boxster S (Black)
2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE (Metallic Black)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rieger View Post
Honestly, I can't tell from your photo what exactly you are talking about. However, if you go to lotusgarage.com, you'll find diagrams and parts for the entire car according to category and location. I would check there.
lotusgarage is very useful, but didn't work for me in this case as I didn't see that part listed under brakes (maybe I'm looking under the wrong sub-system). In the pic, I'm talking about the 2 clips that you see connecting maybe the main brake line to the parking brake line. One of the clips is just below the white tag in the center of the frame with the upside-down "R" printed on it. The clips have 2 sides, a smaller diameter that connects to one of the lines and a large diameter that connects to the other.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_86 View Post
lotusgarage is very useful, but didn't work for me in this case as I didn't see that part listed under brakes (maybe I'm looking under the wrong sub-system). In the pic, I'm talking about the 2 clips that you see connecting maybe the main brake line to the parking brake line. One of the clips is just below the white tag in the center of the frame with the upside-down "R" printed on it. The clips have 2 sides, a smaller diameter that connects to one of the lines and a large diameter that connects to the other.
Sounds like a job for zipties to be honest.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 AM
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
Thanks for the clarification. I think what you're looking at is part numbers 32 and 33 in the attached diagram. Here's a link:

https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=110

Quote:
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
Might also be part numbers 42 and 43.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Rieger View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I think what you're looking at is part numbers 32 and 33 in the attached diagram. Here's a link:

https://www.lotusgarage.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=110

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 AM
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
Just to clarify, all of the parts I mentioned are basically small zip ties with nodules on them that allow the plastic clips to lock on to them.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

These are not zip ties, nor attached to anything zip tie like. They are hard plastic clips and not like what's shown in the lotusgarage illustration I considered just replacing with zip ties, but was worried it might crimp the line as the clips grab the protective spring while a zip tie would reach through the spring and grab the rubber line itself.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
These are not zip ties, nor attached to anything zip tie like. They are hard plastic clips and not like what's shown in the lotusgarage illustration I considered just replacing with zip ties, but was worried it might crimp the line as the clips grab the protective spring while a zip tie would reach through the spring and grab the rubber line itself.
You could buy a length of fuel line or coolant hose and slice it to go over the protective spring and zip tie around that. I have not been able to find those clips in the right sizes, so if you do please post a source.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 AM

My clips were cracked too. After some thought, they will become just as fragile and break again. Especially if you unclip and clip them back on when doing work in the area. Decided to just zip tie it and never have to worry. Probably last longer if not forever, and cheap to replace if I ever need to undo them.

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Fat Guy In A Tiny Car

Garage
I wish you had put an arrow or something on your original photo. Are you talking about part number 25 on the illustration?

Quote:

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 PM

What you are looking at appears to be your left front suspension but I could be wrong.

Explain to me what in that picture is rubbing the wheel? Even though those clips are broke the lines are trained the position they were when put on. They should stay there and still not touch the wheel. Thus the chaff guard on them. If they are rubbing the wheel look at it an find rub marks on the inside of the rim or tire.

Did you put bigger tires on and are rubbing the wheel well liners? Common.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

After looking at it, I don't think the rubbing is related, just something I noticed when trying to find the source of the rubbing. The rubbing is almost certainly just the wider tires.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM

Curious, what wheels and size tires you running?

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
Curious, what wheels and size tires you running?
205 front, 245 rear on the factory non-LSS wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in