What did you do to your Elise today? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Found the paint code. Thank you xhifer!!! My soon to be painted Hardtop and I give thanks!!!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:02 AM

Garage
Last night, I finally wired in my trailer adapter. No more racing on my street tires and no more packing up the car in creative ways.

2005 LRG Lotus Elise
post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 AM

Got bored last weekend and painted the engine cover in red
Week before that, installed LED taillights bought via SELOC : looks way better now!
Attached Images

post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 AM

Garage
How much were the LED taillights? I've noticed they've gotten very expensive here in the USA

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
How much were the LED taillights? I've noticed they've gotten very expensive here in the USA
I saw your earlier reply about mine. I looked at options before buying the aftermarket version from Eliseparts.com in the UK. They were about $550 for the set. I am going to install them this week and will let you know how it goes.

The price for OEM LEDs is similar or higher. Even if you could get a used set for less the consensus is that the OEMs are terrible and frequently burn out. I decided that I wanted to spend the $$ once so I went with the aftermarket ones. If you search around the internet and talk to Eliseparts as well there are many sets in service around the world and I don't see problems reported like there are with the OEM ones.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxx View Post
Dude, I have no experience in doing so, I'm learning as it goes!
I got ya, my point is that you are actually doing it, so you now have experience that most of us don't. Kudos to you for getting in there and making it happen. I'd be interested in seeing a new thread about your progress and what you are learning.
post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
I saw your earlier reply about mine. I looked at options before buying the aftermarket version from Eliseparts.com in the UK. They were about $550 for the set. I am going to install them this week and will let you know how it goes.

The price for OEM LEDs is similar or higher. Even if you could get a used set for less the consensus is that the OEMs are terrible and frequently burn out. I decided that I wanted to spend the $$ once so I went with the aftermarket ones. If you search around the internet and talk to Eliseparts as well there are many sets in service around the world and I don't see problems reported like there are with the OEM ones.
I also looked at the aftermarket Eliseparts taillights, but much preferred the OEM ones. The EP taillights have a black "ring" around them, which I didn't particularly like. I got new OEM ones through a SELOC contact for 35O GBP, so approx 500 USD ; cheaper than the EP version. He might ship to the US, I can ask if you like. No problems with 2nd batch OEM lights, the 1st batch did indeed have some problems with LEDS blowing
post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian View Post
I also looked at the aftermarket Eliseparts taillights, but much preferred the OEM ones. The EP taillights have a black "ring" around them, which I didn't particularly like. I got new OEM ones through a SELOC contact for 35O GBP, so approx 500 USD ; cheaper than the EP version. He might ship to the US, I can ask if you like. No problems with 2nd batch OEM lights, the 1st batch did indeed have some problems with LEDS blowing
Good to know. I could see how the black ring would not look good on certain color combos. My car has the taillight area blacked out (see avatar photo) so I think it will look great on the car.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
Good to know. I could see how the black ring would not look good on certain color combos. My car has the taillight area blacked out (see avatar photo) so I think it will look great on the car.
True, it will look good on your car. Didn't notice you had the blacked panel. Looks really nice, especially with that orange
post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 AM

Ripped out driver airbag/wheel and replaced with a momo and snap off hub! So much nicer feeling -- 20mm smaller. Need to finish harness holes in seats next...
post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 04:07 PM

Garage
I don't know why this thread doesn't get more posts? It is my favorite thread on the Evora sub forum. Anyhow, my contribution to hopefully spark this thread......

A day to remember as I crossed 5000 miles in my 2011 Elise R. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Attached Images

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 06:42 AM

Removed the front access panel for the first time since I've had my Elise. I had to clean out a bunch of leaves I picked up after a drive on some back roads here in NoVA. We had 30 mph winds a couple days ago that I got caught in during the drive...of course right after I had washed/waxed. At least it was just leaves and not falling branches or anything.
Attached Images

Life's too short to not drive what you want
2011 Elise SC Carbon Gray (1 of 1)
BRG Mini Cooper S RHD
'14 WRX WRB
'01 Subaru RS Coupe
post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:16 PM

Garage
I reattached my front splitter after a recent trackday at Laguna Seca.

Not sure what happened, if it was from rubbing on some curbs or in the high compression section of at the bottom of the corkscrew but partway through the first session I heard a bad "grinding" sound. At first I thought maybe I'd worn through my brake pads and was getting some metal on metal of the pad backing against the disc (though that would have been pretty surprising since I'd just checked them the night before.). I drove slowly around the track for a lap and brought it into the paddock.

Immediately, I saw the splitter hanging partway off. Lacking the hardware to reattach it at the track, I just removed the whole thing and continued with my day. The splitter rode shotgun with me on the way home and I reattached it later. Now I'm back in business.

Thanks for reviving this thread!

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:27 AM
German Reimport

Did the final prep on my old Larini (which I'm trying to revive) so I can give it to my welder to have it put back together

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  76.7 KB Name:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  87.8 KB

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:30 PM

I removed the steering wheel airbag so I could paint the ring around the rubber centre (hope that makes sense). I painted it the metallic silver from Toyota but it looked terrible so I re did it with a flat black. Looks much better.
Now I need to re do the centre rubber with plasti dip.
I also gave it a final wash before the cover is going on for the winter.
post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:16 PM

Was working in the garage today and gave her a good once over. Man, I miss driving her! It's been months because I've been to busy to get the broken/snapped mani stud fixed. It's throwing a code for vacuum leak on the supercharger intake currently.

Driving the Evora is fun and all but I want my Elise back! No offense meant to the Evora owners out there but my Elise is just so much more fun to drive.
post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Plural of Lotus is Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by indifferent View Post
Ripped out driver airbag/wheel and replaced with a momo and snap off hub! So much nicer feeling -- 20mm smaller. Need to finish harness holes in seats next...
When you replace the airbag wheel with a non-airbag wheel, don't you get error indicator codes? It might feel better, but not if you bump into something........Just sayin..........:-)
post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM

When I got my 06' last summer the previous owner had no documentation on service.
So today I changed the spark plugs.
$42 for the plugs and about 30 mins of work. I'm hoping to do a couple projects a week before the weather gets nice enough to drive. Oil change is next.
post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:14 AM

Re did my airbag Looked terrible before and after several attempts and colours this is what worked best for me
Attached Images

post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
I had to quit driving on Labor Day when I was diagnosed with stage 3 adenocarcinoma of the small intestine. Two miserable weeks in the hospital following resection surgery followed by 6 months (12 cycles) of chemo. I have just two more cycles to go... We still have several inches of snow and cold temperatures here but I can't wait to get back at it if we ever have warmer weather.

My scans so far are coming up clear, and it would sure cheer me up if there was any possibility to work on (or drive) my car sometime this spring!

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in