What did you do to your Elise today? - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Upgraded the sound system and did some other mods while I had the interior out:

*Installed Alpine CDE-143BT head unit, along with an Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack amp. Wired it in directly to the stock harness via adapter which Crutchfield threw in. Mounted amp behind speedo/tach, using industrial type plastic “Velcro style” tape—-not the type with the fabric fuzz). Note: KTP-445A amp install instructions say the circuit should be protected with a 15 amp fuse. Stock harness has 7.5 amp fuse. After going back and forth and getting some great advice from folks on the forum, I elected to NOT change the stock fuse. System works fine using the 7.5 amp fuse.

* Installed Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered sub. Wired the power direct from battery and ground wire to seat rail bolt. Ran the remote turn on wire and RCA cables up the center console, and aluminum tunnel and split loom to head unit. I didn’t need to fully disassemble the center console (e-brake lever, shift boot, etc.). Just lifted it up enough to secure the wires, running them alongside the brackets, away from shift linkage, etc. The sub isn’t something used for thumping the hard bass rap tunes (yuck) but does a great job of filling in the bass, giving a great sound experience. Plenty of bass and volume. I kept the wired remote controller in the rear....drilled a small hole in the bottom of the (so called) “cup holder” in the back, inserting the plug through the hole to the amp. Coiled up all the excess wire, tie-wrapped it and secured it under the cup holder/console trim. Just enough wire available to pull the remote out of the cup holder, allow for changes, and stick back in the cup holder.

* While I had the center console taken up, I replaced the Euro-style power outlet with USA type that I purchased from amazon. I used wire cutters to cut the oem plug into two halves, and then plugged each into the appropriate +/- terminals of new outlet. New outlet was essentially a direct replacement...just needed to use a round file to open up the hole ever so slightly, allowing outlet to slide in from front, held in place by threads/nut from the back side. Looks great and outlet has a built in cover. Here’s the one I used:

* Added a separate power outlet up front, to the left of the steering wheel and in the small opening to the right of the starter/light switch panel. The outlet I found on Amazon has a built-in upper bracket that allowed me to secure it using sheet metal screws...yes, I bit the bullet and drilled small holes into the upper side of the aluminum, but you’d never see them unless you were on the floor looking upward. Wired through the steering wheel opening after using a small round file to notch the (hidden) plastic to provide a channel for the wire to sit in...probably not required but I wanted it well away from any steering linkage. Grounded it to steering mount bolt and ran power to one of the pax foot well fuses...can’t remember which but it’s a “switched fuse” so the radar detector is depowered when ignition is off. Used an add-a circuit fuse holder and appropriate guage wire for the circuit. Radar detector is mounted low on the center of the windshield and power cable gently wraps under steering column and into the power outlet. Looks nice and tidy, as well as relatively discreet. Here’s the outlet I used:

* upgraded the front speakers from 4” to 5.25”. Used Focal RCX-130 coax speakers. This was the hardest and most maddening part of this project. I used Jim’s speaker rings (JCR Fabrication). These are great! The worst part was cutting out the excess dash foam material, only to find that the speakers wouldn’t sit down flush on the dash. I knew from this forum that some have had to heat the AC ducting to melt it enough to allow pushing the speaker down, effectively “deforming” the ducts enough to allow for a flush install. Yup, I had to do that. With moderate heating and no luck, I had to crank up my heat gun enough to get the plastic to really melt....imagine seeing smoke billowing out from all the AC ducts.....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/LotusTalk_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG] This was not a good feeling!! It worked but it was nerve-wracking. If I had it to do again, I’d search for shallow speakers or stick with the stock size. Having said that, they sound great!

* upgraded the rear speakers to 6.50”. Used Focal RCX-165 coax speakers. Easiest for me to fully remove the rear panel, measure and cut the openings, and then reinstall the rear panel, then speakers. This was relatively easy.

* Added 20” of wire to the cobra alarm antenna, extending the range for the alarm FOB from next to the car (literally right next to it) to about 60 feet. Instructions found on this forum, all very helpful! (Didn’t even slice my hand open)

* Used rubber well nuts (8-32, .75” head diameter), 8-32 x 3/4” stainless screws, 1” dia stainless fender washers (painted flat black) to secure wheel liners, replacing the cheapo plastic retainers. Total required: 5 per side up front, and 6 each for the rears, 22 total. Many of the 8-32 well nuts have smaller diameter head size. I highly recommend getting the larger head size, given the application. Found them on EBay, but then my True Value hardware store stocks them as well. $1.20 each.

* Replaced oem Horn with Stebel Naitilus Compact Horn. After reading the forum, I elected to play it safe and not use the stock horn wiring to drive the new horn which draws much more amperage. I ran wires from the stock horn wires up to the fuse block, and connected to the trigger side of the (included) Stebel relay. Then 10 ga wire from the fuse block (soldered on to the brown supply wire to the accessory fuse), and again from the relay to the horn. Grounded the horn to an open hole located in the upper shock mount. Fused by a 25 amp fuse. Horn is loud and worked fine....unless I sounded it with the engine running...then the engine would quit! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/LotusTalk_2015/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG] This is a known issue which happens on occasion with this horn, and some attributed it to interference from the wiring playing on engine controls, etc. After changing the wiring routing with no help, I referenced this forum again and found a couple posts where this problem was solved by replacing the Stebel relay with another. After a trip to Autozone and finding a horn relay rated at 40 amps, I swapped it out and the problem was gone! Whew! Looks like the cheap red relay supplied with the Stebel horn isn’t up to the task for some reason.

With all this work, much of it involving being upside down, in the shape of a pretzel, working as a contortionist to get this all done.....I’m now into week two of a very angry herniated disc, keeping me out of work for two weeks. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/LotusTalk_2015/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG] Oh well....love the car, and it’s going to be worth it!

Thanks to so many here who have provided so many great tips, photos, and advice. It gave me the confidence to go in feeling informed....and ammo to tackle some troubleshooting.
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.

Last edited by Daveinater; 10-18-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM

Nice write-up.

The spot where you put the extra 12V outlet is where I put my wallet when I drive. I could never give that up.
post #83 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
Nice write-up.

The spot where you put the extra 12V outlet is where I put my wallet when I drive. I could never give that up.
My friends tell me I have a “George Costanza wallet.” It wouldn’t fit there. Lol

post #84 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 AM

Garage
Original letters (with 12 years of weathering) replaced by new shiny raised chrome letters
Attached Images

post #85 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM

Probably not that big a deal, but... had her detailed, baby!
Attached Images

'05 Elise, Racing Green - a.k.a. the other woman
post #86 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brytee View Post
Original letters (with 12 years of weathering) replaced by new shiny raised chrome letters
Not sure if any one told you but the S is crooked.......

joking. Mine still look like new but I've been wanting to replace the stickers with raised lettering. Did you find it particular hard lining everything up? I've seen a few post and some had some elaborate schemes to getting them on just right.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #87 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM

Hit 20k miles yesterday (bought at the end of May with 18950 miles). This car will be driven like it was meant to be!
Attached Images

1970 Europa S2 Carnival Red
2005 Elise Krypton Green
post #88 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy BRG! View Post
Probably not that big a deal, but... had her detailed, baby!
Great color!
post #89 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Great color!
Thank you ser! It was the type of service where the detailer comes to your house. Will definitely be using him again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapps View Post
Hit 20k miles yesterday (bought at the end of May with 18950 miles). This car will be driven like it was meant to be!
Ha! I'm at 13,993... 14k will be here Sunday
Attached Images

'05 Elise, Racing Green - a.k.a. the other woman
post #90 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brytee View Post
I have a 2009 and it came with chrome letters. They still look perfect after 9 years. That's a worthy upgrade!
brytee likes this.
post #91 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Not sure if any one told you but the S is crooked.......

joking. Mine still look like new but I've been wanting to replace the stickers with raised lettering. Did you find it particular hard lining everything up? I've seen a few post and some had some elaborate schemes to getting them on just right.
When I had taken the photo above then posted it first (on Facebook) I thought the "L" look crooked, so went out and checked them all, and verified everything was perfectly spaced (looking from every angle) ... and decided it must have been a fisheye distortion of taking the photo pretty close, so if you really do think the "S" is crooked it's not surprising from the same fisheye effect (but at the other end).

My method to placing them was to remove the old letters with Goo-Gone one at a time, and in the sunlight I could see where the paint had faded slightly (but I've got good color vision), so I placed the letters over the previous placing. Then onto the next letter.

My backup plan was if the removed letter was not visible, I'd have got a tape measure, to determine the position relative the others.

FYI: The chrome letters (at least the ones I bought) were slightly larger than the stick-ons (a couple of millimeters) - however, maybe 12 years had caused them to shrink slightly.
post #92 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM

Garage
Did some paint work today on the cam cover, replaced those 2 lifter bolts, and new gaskets. My GRP carbon fiber plug/wire covers came. I like the all CF look. My wife likes the CF with the blue on the back. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #93 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonm84 View Post
Did some paint work today on the cam cover, replaced those 2 lifter bolts, and new gaskets. My GRP carbon fiber plug/wire covers came. I like the all CF look. My wife likes the CF with the blue on the back. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the cf front/ blue back
Your wife knows what shes sayin
post #94 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley4240 View Post
When I got my 06' last summer the previous owner had no documentation on service.
So today I changed the spark plugs.
$42 for the plugs and about 30 mins of work. I'm hoping to do a couple projects a week before the weather gets nice enough to drive. Oil change is next.
Which plugs did you get?
Thanks!
post #95 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian View Post
Got bored last weekend and painted the engine cover in red
Week before that, installed LED taillights bought via SELOC : looks way better now!
What paint did you use?
Thanks,
post #96 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
I test fit some new wheels!
Attached Images

shay2nak likes this.

Euro Press/Spec lotus Elise Cup car
----- Sector111-----

Facebook group -----> SouthWest Florida Lotus Owners Club

[email protected]
post #97 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 PM

Garage
Since i bought the car in the fall I feel I've spent more time working on her than driving.Here's the latest work done on her though.

Since the pea gravel on our roads won't be removed for a while yet, I figured it would be a good time to have a paint correction, and ceramic coating added in prep for the relatively short summer season here in Canada.

Untitled by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Untitled by Duane Jacka, on Flickr
shay2nak likes this.

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.
post #98 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Garage
My favorite color combo, magnetic blue and biscuit(?) interior!
Jackal-44 likes this.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #99 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:15 AM

Working on a custom gauge bracket. I love Greg's stuff and almost bought his gauge bracket but wanted something that looked a little more stylish and wanted it to tilt towards the driver a bit. At this point I could have bought three or four of Greg's for the time in fabrication and money I have invested in tools to make this. The dimple die alone was the same cost as a GRP bracket. Next steps are to improve the finish and get it anodized. Might also figure out a way to mount my radar detector mute button.
Attached Images

post #100 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro574 View Post
Working on a custom gauge bracket.
That looks awesome, great job!

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in